VPU recovery errors and lockups (9600XT on Asus K8N)

Biggles604

Weaksauce
I have built a system on the cheap for a friend, 1024MB Samsung RAM, Asus K8N mainboard, Sapphire 9600XT AGP card, Athlon 3000, IDE 160GB WD drive. I have installed XP Home, all the latest drivers.

The problem: Randomly, the computer will lock up, and it's a 50% chance that the VPU recovery will kick in and save it, sometimes even if the VPU recovery kicks in, the video is garbled and no good, requiring a re-boot. The rest of the time, the screen goes black and a reboot is needed. The problem only occurs when running DirectX games (or benchmarks.) I'm uncertain if it's DX8 or DX 9 processes that are triggering it.
Crashes occur a random amount of time, from 30 seconds to 10 minutes.

What I have tried:
Turned off Fast-writes in BIOS and driver.
Disabled AGP8x support, dropped it back to AGP4x
Re-seated card.
Underclocked card believing it may be heat.
Ran comp with case open and a fan blowing in there.
Took the system back to the store, explaining all this, they installed a new video card thinking that was the problem. It wasn't.

Any ideas?

I tried turning off VPU recovery, it made no difference, except, with it on, there is a 50% chance that the game can be saved.

What's a VPU? How about disconnecting/removing anything that's not required such as sound/network card, extra HDs/CD-ROM drive and see if the problem still happens. Maybe it's the PSU that can't supply enough power since the problem seems to kick in with games.

Video Processing Unit

Tried disconnecting it all. It shouldn't be an issue, it's an Antec 400+W PSU

Back