w00t! Neightborhood getting Fiber

Oldie

Mean Old Administrator
I came home today to find this:

vz.jpg

I don't know how I missed this in the local papers, but apparently our whole city is having Fiber installed. See the article here.

I can't even imagine how cool this is going to be once it's up. Who's moving?

Right now I'm on a 3Mbps comcast for $50/month. Once Fios is up, we should have a $45 15Mbps pipe. I've also heard that we'll be able to do a $10 bump to get a 5 Mbps upstream. Anyone know if the upstream bump is true?

I've never even heard of Ft. Wayne! :p

And meanwhile, Boston is still getting the shaft on this FTTP-ness.

P.S. I hate you. :p

So Ft. Wayne, IN has fiber, and here in the 4th largest city in the US, and less than 2 miles from the Johnson space center, we don't. You have to love these rollout strategies companies have.

PS: I hate you :p

sandmanx said:
So Ft. Wayne, IN has fiber, and here in the 4th largest city in the US, and less than 2 miles from the Johnson space center, we don't. You have to love these rollout strategies companies have.

PS: I hate you :p

I'd start small and get the technique then go to the larger markets. And fiber is only as good as the bandwidth they give you. :D

Oh, and lots of hate. ;)

I thought that was New Haven, CT. I was getting so excited, and so upset. Im a 10 minute drive for New Haven.

Well, I don't have fiber, but I get 5Mb/s cable for $50 a month. Not too shabby.

Hate? No. Jealous? Definetely :p

DragonNOA1 said:
No, you need 3 for a pattern. I hate you.

and 4 makes it a large pattern.....i hate you! :D

but that's ok....i have inside word that once Verizon is done in the Dallas area (they are there now), they're coming here, so hopefully i won't be too far behind on the FTTP train.... ;)

UrinalCakeMIx said:
I thought that was New Haven, CT. I was getting so excited, and so upset. Im a 10 minute drive for New Haven.

I'm in cheshire :)

Hello neighbor!

to the thread starter: I hate you

Well if Verizons rollout strategies get your goat how about this... I live in Jamestown, ND (It's in the dead center of the state about 100miles for another town larger than it, it's 15k) and the local telco just completed a citywide deployment of FTTH in two summers. They had a 68% signup rate and plan on rolling out HD channels along with the current digital cable this fall.

But wait... it gets better. They're now installing FTTH in a city of 4000 about 30 miles north of here and plan to roll it out community by community from here outward until they've covered the whole center of the state.... God don't you love rural internet grants? The irony here being that you guys are paying for this deployment through FCC fees.

I'm personally sickened by it since most people just got the basic 64k package because it comes free with digital cable and phone service and they're trying to connect windows 95 machines to the internet so they relentlessly molest us college students for help. It's sad but I have to say that when I move back to my home state after college I will no longer have a fiber line running to my apartment yet I will be 25 miles from a core router... It's a sad sad world we live in.

I'm overseeing a FTTP deployment at the company I work at. When it's all said/done we can offer upto 500 megs to the premise. It's sweet because the fiber doesn't use bridge taps/load coils. The fiber is lit on the CO side and we put our NID at the customer prem, nothing in between requires power at all, MTBF is on the passive splitters is like 50 years +. And this is Gen 2/3 stuff, the company we went with is supposed to have gig to the home in the next year or so. What's even more amazing is that it's actually rather cheap compared to going the old copper route.

15mb/5mb would freaking rule, I can't even comprehend that kind of speed, might have to think about moving.
-Matt :cool:

oh yeah and I hate you

hmmm... 3 hours away eh... hopefully chicago and it's small cities everywhere around it will be getting fiber sometime soon

[H]ate you.... I live in Alaska.... :( I figure they'll start running fiber up here after then entire lower 48 is covered....

Justamino_[H] said:
[H]ate you.... I live in Alaska.... :( I figure they'll start running fiber up here after then entire lower 48 is covered....

I've got a friend outside of Willow. She can't even get dial-up without hitting long distance charges.

Destonomos said:
tell her to get satelite internet lol.

Expensive as heck, and really crappy service every time I've seen it. The last time I used starband over a few weeks period, I would get anywhere from 3-180k with an emphasis usually on the 3 :( . And that was after they'd been out 3 times and stated there was no problem, just atmospheric conditions.

Destonomos said:

even with satellite you need a landline for your UP data xfer, AFAIK satellite only provides you with your down

Latency on this stuff as good as the "fiber" part makes me think it should be? I've already got craploads of bandwidth (although ADSL's kinda upload limited to 1mbps) but a kick in the latency would be nice. Once they get this crap out of the hick towns and in to the cities.

Destonomos said:
if i'm not mistaken, DirecTV and/or Dish doesn't offer service in Alaska

Techx said:
even with satellite you need a landline for your UP data xfer, AFAIK satellite only provides you with your down
that was the old way, when it first came out....with the new DirecPC service, and with Starband, you have both up/down done by the satellite.

Oldie said:
I've got a friend outside of Willow. She can't even get dial-up without hitting long distance charges.

You sure? Or maybe this is old info? As far as I know the company I work for offers service in Willow, maybe I'm confused though.

Destonomos said:

There is no satelite above Alaska.... We have to aim our satelites at the horizon and pray that the signal gets a few good bounces along the way to hit your fancy lower 48 satelites... :rolleyes:

Smititty said:
hmmm... 3 hours away eh... hopefully chicago and it's small cities everywhere around it will be getting fiber sometime soon
Let's do a rain dance or something -- might make Verizon give fiber out here. heh

Now? 1.5/256 DSL :rolleyes:
1 Month from now? 6/768 Cable ;)

Hopefully (if I can get my future roommate to spring on it)? 15/5 through Verizon FIOS :D

Oh yeah, the OP makes me jealous and pissed off all at the same time :p

I find it very interesting that theyre running so much fiber while theres still alot of untapped "dark" fiber out there. This is a GREAT thing for the industry right now IMO. Everyone can benefit from it, people on the service end and industry professionals for installations. Verizon will most likely provide service to a certain point and guarantee their service to that point. Kind of like telco's are responsible up to the demarc. Structured cable installers will love this, solutions companies will love it, VoIP and IPtv are really going to benefit as well. Cool Stuff.

The reason they roll it out into smaller communities is that they want to get the kinks ironed out before rolling it out to millions and millions and millions of other people. That and its easier to roll it out into outlying ares than it is in big cities with 24/7 traffic jams.

Oldie said:
I suppose that would be nice to know....Ft. Wayne, Indiana

Damn, I live in Crown Point Indiana. Think it is only 2 hour drive frome each other. Its an hour drive from Chicago.

Back