W7 IP address after hibernation(concern for gamers)

Willsonman

[H]ard|Gawd
While testing the W7 RC I noticed that after Hibernation the IP address is reconfigured and a new one issued. This may be of concern to gamers who play online games that need dedicated port forwarding. I currently use RealFlight G4.5 which requires this and I have had to setup a dedicated IP in my router for this machine. Just a heads up for those who this may effect.

Control Panel > System > Device Manager > Find your network card and doubleclick it > Power Management > uncheck "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

This might keep your network card from going to sleep.

If you're port forwarding then you should have a static or dynamically reserved address anyway becuase, while it usually doesn't, your IP address could change any time your computer powered on.

That's what I was wondering. If that was configured at the router, you shouldn't be having any issues with this.

If you're port forwarding then you should have a static or dynamically reserved address anyway becuase, while it usually doesn't, your IP address could change any time your computer powered on.
+3. If you're port fowarding, have the router reserve you a static IP. Then this won't happen.

x2

I suggest reserved IP's. Having some static ip's and some non static ip's on the network can be a pain in the neck sometimes if you need to track something down. I run all DHCP w/ reserved IP's for everything at my house.

Also, this has nothing to do with windows 7, it would be the same for any os.

Back