Wait for 9800GT or get 8800GT now

Why does everyone say the 8800GT beats the 9600GT when reviews of the latter from [H] show it getting 5+ more fps in games, despite having so many less stream processors?

if you're worried about 5 FPS then I'd just see which performance to price ratio is best, plain logic.

I didn't mean that 5fps is a big deal, guess I'm just wondering why the 9600gt seems to get such a bad rap. And more importantly, are stream processors not that important if the 9600gt can pull its weight with only 64?

It all depends on the games of which you're intending to play it on, weather it'll need more stream processors or less. I think this is something that doesn't really matter, raw clock speeds are where the real performance is, I think.

Yeah, after a certain number of SP's, clock speed then becomes alot more important. It's similar to how the 7600gt only had half the pipelines of the 7900gt, but much higher clock speed.

If a game like Oblivion struggled on the 7600gt at high settings, it would also struggle a bit on the 7900gt as well. It's the same treatment with Crysis, the 9600gt struggles, and the 8800gt only does a little better.

"Patience is a virture.." so the saying goes. It's usually a good idea to wait it off, like holding up on upgrading your socket775 cpu, regardless of the e6750 and e6850's looking so good, and then when the e8400's first came out, they were great buys :D

Just wait for the 9800gt's. Heck, the 8800gt's jumped to 300's when they in the early times it came out (originally supposed to have msrp'ed at 249), and then went down after just 2 months or so. Well.. that's just my opinion, since it has worked out for me ^^

"Patience is a virture.." so the saying goes. It's usually a good idea to wait it off, like holding up on upgrading your socket775 cpu, regardless of the e6750 and e6850's looking so good, and then when the e8400's first came out, they were great buys :D

Just wait for the 9800gt's. Heck, the 8800gt's jumped to 300's when they in the early times it came out (originally supposed to have msrp'ed at 249), and then went down after just 2 months or so. Well.. that's just my opinion, since it has worked out for me ^^

Waiting is a virtue when you know when to stop waiting. Else it's called being indecisive, which most certainly is not a virtue. Procrastination is a way of dealing with indecisiveness.

So you seem to be predicting that the 9800GT will be overpriced when it first comes out and that the OP should wait even longer...

I suppose I could understand all this if the 8800GT were a terrible, overpriced card - who knows, perhaps compared to the 9800GT, the 8800GT is a shit card.

Well, if the OP isn't bothered by waiting, this might eventually work out for the best.

Hey there.

I've had a similar problem about three weeks ago. And I've decided to go with Gainward 8800GT golden sample with custom cooler. Also bought q6600 instead of wating for q9450. My reason was that i can just sell the parts and buy newer stuff.

And i dont regret buying it at all, moreso, I'm extremely happy with it.

The card reaches 760mhz core, 1900mhz shaders and 1100 mhz memory. All that for hitting an awesome score of 16k in 3d mark06. The temps are super low as the heatsink is a piece of exelence - 57c under max load (Crysis).

I decided just to wait and get the 9800GT or 9800GTX cause I really dont have the funds right now anyway.

I decided just to wait and get the 9800GT or 9800GTX cause I really dont have the funds right now anyway.

Why? They're just G92 chips with slightly higher clocks. Unless you want to throw together a Tri-SLI rig, just go buy an 8800GT and be happy.

Back