wait on ibook?

liquidgeforce

Limp Gawd
hey i need a laptop for school and i decided on a 12 inch ibook, but should i wait a little while longer for the g5's? i know theres no release date but do u think itll be like a month, 2, or more?

Are you sure that g5's are going to be coming out on the iBooks? If you're going to wait for the g5's...why not wait for the Intel based ones...

if you need it now, get it now, if not, wait.

simple as that

there wont be a g5 ibook. Apple's move to intel processors is supposed to start with the notebooks, so notebooks will skip g5 and go to intel processors, and thats not planned until next year(not very early in the year I believe).

the notebooks arent like 'skipping' G5's, its one of the reasons why Apple moved to Intel. IBM couldnt make a G5 processor cool enough to fit into laptops/mac mini. i wanted to get one too, but i think ill wait for intel onbes because i dnt need it (i want it though :p ) at the moment

well obviously they aren't "skipping it", if they had a g5 with low enough heat/power consumtion we would have seen it by now in the notebooks. But they are scrapping the idea of a g5 notebook and moving on to intel.

There never will be a G5 iBook. The next processor for the iBook line is either a faster G4 or a Celeron M or something such. Either way, the difference probably won't be big. Buy one now. Waiting sucks. I'm currently waiting for my iBook, and it's downright painful. It will get here sometime between now and 13:00, and it's 11:40 right now. Argh. :(

GET IT NOW. With the upgrades that took place at the end of July, it is a great machine. I'm happy I bought one. I don't think a G5 would hold up very well in a notebook due to the heat issue. A G4 1.33 has enough power to run many games, do alot of applications, and surfs the net really well. Just make sure you load up on ram to help your system.

I'm interested to see how the transition to Intel works but when they come out I'm not going to run out and buy one, I'll wait a couple of years because I'm happy with my G4.

which of the two ibooks did you get? im thinking about getting one soon and want some opinions on the latest models. Pretty much all the reviews out there now are on the older ones.

a friend of mine just got a 12in one. if your a student its crazy, you get a free ipod mini!

liquidgeforce said:
hey i need a laptop for school and i decided on a 12 inch ibook, but should i wait a little while longer for the g5's? i know theres no release date but do u think itll be like a month, 2, or more?

it could be years before ibooks become g5. really. look at the g3 => g4 transition compared to the powerbooks. it was like three years. the pbs still aren't there, so don't hold your breath.

they were just updated in the last 6 weeks, so i say go now. it'll be until at least november before they get another bump.

Z3Px said:
which of the two ibooks did you get? im thinking about getting one soon and want some opinions on the latest models. Pretty much all the reviews out there now are on the older ones.

I got the 12in one with a 1 gig Ram and the combo drive. It has the ATI 9550 32mb video card. Also it has the PowerBook's touchpad that allows you to scroll, which is a nice feature. The Airport and Bluetooth cards work really well.

They just upgraded the iBooks. Buy now if you're in the market. If you're thinking about a PowerBook, wait for the supposed MacWorld update later this month.

xcgames said:
how much did u pay for it
About $1,175 after student discounts for the computer alone. Remember they include a VGA adapter so if you want/need a bigger screen to work with. And you get a couple great applications to work with.

Back