Wal-Mart to Sell Linux PC?

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
Earlier last week, we told you guys about the $300 dollar PC Wal-Mart is preparing to sell. Rumors have now surfaced that they may also be considering a version with Ubuntu Linux as well.

Everex announced yesterday that Wal-Mart will carry its GC3502 PC. Today, an unidentified reliable source close to the company revealed that Everex is readying a version preloaded with Ubuntu Linux. It remains unclear whether Wal-Mart will distribute the Linux version, however.

It's nice to see retailers trying to lower the price for entry level boxes even more but a few things bother me. About this one:

a) Linux : while getting A LOT better, it's still not ready for primetime w/ those who NOTHING but Windows. ie: click an .exe to install vs .rpm packages and the like...And while not Linux centric, Open Office? Too damn clunky, I tried it out and couldn't really navigate around it. Mind you I didn't play with it too much - too used to M$ Office and it's interface. Also, in the past I found it was quite slow, but maybe they've improved on that aspect.

b) Via C7, I saw other threads saying this in nothing like the Via CPUs of recent years, but why pay $250-300 for a system like this when I can get an AMD 3800+ (single core mind you) system w/ Vista Basic, a monitor, and printer for ~$350 @ Best Buy. Of course it would probably need a memory upgrade, since the ultra low ends usually only come w/ 1/2 gig of RAM but w/ memory prices the way they are, that's a very minor expense.

Ever since version 2 of openoffice came out it has been a VERY good and fast office suite.

So far the most user friendly version of linux I have used is xandros and pclinuxos. Wonder why they didn't put those on instead.

Horrible idea. Underpowered POS even for $150, get a Dell or something else decent for $50 more. I hope Everex has enough support staff for everyone calling in because they know nothing about Linux.

This is going to be my nightmare. I can hear questions of why the program the kids brought home from school doesn't work or why they can't install X program over and over again.:(

Yep they sure did, fry's electronics also sold cheap $199.00 GQ machines with lindows around the same time frame.
2 years in a row Fry's had it as a $99 black friday special. I bought it both years. It was a pretty decent Socket 462 system. Linspire was pretty lame back then though.

It's nice to see retailers trying to lower the price for entry level boxes even more but a few things bother me. About this one:

a) Linux : while getting A LOT better, it's still not ready for primetime w/ those who NOTHING but Windows. ie: click an .exe to install vs .rpm packages and the like...And while not Linux centric, Open Office? Too damn clunky, I tried it out and couldn't really navigate around it. Mind you I didn't play with it too much - too used to M$ Office and it's interface. Also, in the past I found it was quite slow, but maybe they've improved on that aspect.

b) Via C7, I saw other threads saying this in nothing like the Via CPUs of recent years, but why pay $250-300 for a system like this when I can get an AMD 3800+ (single core mind you) system w/ Vista Basic, a monitor, and printer for ~$350 @ Best Buy. Of course it would probably need a memory upgrade, since the ultra low ends usually only come w/ 1/2 gig of RAM but w/ memory prices the way they are, that's a very minor expense.

A: For the casual user, Linux is easy..........BUT if something goes wrong, then the same casual user is fubar'd. Dont expect him or most of his friends to know how to fix it. As for open office.........being a long-time MS Office user, I initially was wary of trying Open Office, but I use it at work now, and find it extremely similar, and easy to use.

B: Agreed. Totally.

If a problem comes up in windows, the user is just as stuck as if they were running ubuntu. If they were running XP, then they might know someone who could help, but anything else out there (on the shelf) is likely running Vista (and his more knoledgable friends aren't to likely to be running).

Contrary to popular belief, linux is ready for grandmothers. It just isn't ready for anybody who has made a significant investment learning to use windows and not willing to start over for current linux distros.

If a problem comes up in windows, the user is just as stuck as if they were running ubuntu. If they were running XP, then they might know someone who could help, but anything else out there (on the shelf) is likely running Vista (and his more knoledgable friends aren't to likely to be running).

Contrary to popular belief, linux is ready for grandmothers. It just isn't ready for anybody who has made a significant investment learning to use windows and not willing to start over for current linux distros.

vista is similar enough to xp that it isn't that big of a deal...

with ease of use... vista still > linux... even ubuntu linux...

sorry

vista is similar enough to xp that it isn't that big of a deal...

with ease of use... vista still > linux... even ubuntu linux...

sorry

You would think that is true, but most people only know double clicking the exe file if that. The add remove program in ubuntu linux is just as easy. I am not saying its easy for an advanced user, since they will have much much more difficult a time getting something working(such as downloading the newest crack ware game) then a grandmother using Thunderbird in Linux and or installing a simple game from the add/remove icon under applications.

pic of add/remove programs
http://lh4.google.com/sc3252/RqSh7Ad_f6I/AAAAAAAAAAo/1UiAj0ceoVI/Screenshot.jpg

It will be worse with those who are getting their second PC, since they will "know" enough to think they can fix something simple, which wont work this time.
The other thing is that they better have contacts with some of the local computer repair stores or else when the customer calls a repair shop the shop will be thinking Windows and get a little surprise when they see Linux (I might not but I know others who would charge a fee for driving out)

OR.......

It could make some people do some research, join a Linux forum, tinker around like when I did learning Linux AND windows, maybe read a manual or take a class, and find out that Linux isn't the conundrum everyone thinks it is.

Hey - it's the same but different.

Back