Walmart $100 gift card with xbox 360 purchase 11/07/09 only

Can you purchase a 360 and then go buy a 2nd one at the same store with the $100 GC?

if you really need the hd and other stuff then you better do the math because even for a 100 bucks the Arcade isnt that great of a deal. hell the 120gb hd alone will set you back $150 just for it. by the time you buy the 120gb hd, headset, and hdmi cable then you might as well go with the $300 Elite model that also has a wireless controller which is worth more too. heck even though its only a few bucks the Arcade doesnt even have an ethernet cable either.

Last edited:
sorry bout the last post i meant buy it now dont open it go to store sat see if they due price reassurance and let me get a gift card. if that dont work will jus go on sat return it then repurchase it. now will any of the above methods work?

That's what I was thinking. If I go buy one from Walmart today and don't open it, could I go back Saturday and do a full return/repurchase. I guess I could always do that as an insurance policy - if I don't get in line early enough for the door buster deal, I could try returning/repurchasing the one I got prior - if they won't do it, I could just return it period. Hmmm, dunno.

They destroy small businesses every where they spring up. I don't buy from them.:cool:

I hear ya and I use to think the same way. but then I realized the more money I save with Wally World means more money I can spend on my cars and computers (my major hobbies) and not feel guilty about it.

face it, it's a dog eat dog world where only the strongest survive. it's sad but it's true.

if you really need the hd and other stuff then you better do the math because even for a 100 bucks the Arcade isnt that great of a deal. hell the 120gb hd alone will set you back $150 just for it. by the time you buy the 120gb hd, headset, and hdmi cable then you might as well go with the $300 Elite model that also has a wireless controller which is worth more too. heck even though its only a few bucks the Arcade doesnt even have an ethernet cable either.

you can get a 20gb drive on ebay for around $20. That's plenty considering Windows Media Player and the free Zune software allow you to share your media library over the network to your 360 (even in game). If you think you need more, an empty hard drive shell will set you back $15 on ebay and use a SATA laptop hard drive of any size that fits your budget. You can get an HDMI cable for $6 at monoprice.com (the new arcades have an HDMI port right on the back, no adapter needed), and the headset takes any cellphone handsfree device. I use a cheap plantronics because I dont like the over the head of the default. Oh, and my arcade came with a wireless controller. only the first gen came with wired.

You have a point to a point, but to counterpoint:

First you can get the 120 GB for about $135 most places I look such as Amazon.

Second there is also the 60GB Live starter kit available for ~$89 as another option, which also comes with a headset, ethernet cable, and 3 months Live Gold subscription. I mean lets say you take your $100 GC and spend it on the 60GB HDD. You still got a 360 with 60GB HDD for $200 which is a pretty good deal in itself.

The third option, is you could hit up Gamestop, Ebay, or other stores that sell used items and probably easily pick up a second hand 20GB hard drive for $20-$50, which is basically the price of a memory card.

Fourth, It all depends on your "needs" so to speak. If you're a casual player you may not need a hard drive at all. If you dont care about downloading demos and the like, you do not need a hard drive at all and the Arcade is fine for you as is.

And oh yeah, as the guy above me noted Arcades have come with wireless controllers not wired for at least a couple years now.

you can get a 20gb drive on ebay for around $20. That's plenty considering Windows Media Player and the free Zune software allow you to share your media library over the network to your 360 (even in game). If you think you need more, an empty hard drive shell will set you back $15 on ebay and use a SATA laptop hard drive of any size that fits your budget. You can get an HDMI cable for $6 at monoprice.com (the new arcades have an HDMI port right on the back, no adapter needed), and the headset takes any cellphone handsfree device. I use a cheap plantronics because I dont like the over the head of the default. Oh, and my arcade came with a wireless controller. only the first gen came with wired.

You can use any cellphone handsfree with the 360?? I didn't know that!!

Also, I don't think any SATA laptop drive will work in the hard drive shell, only select models work from what I've seen. I remember the 120gb had to be one of a specific WD model...

You have a point to a point, but to counterpoint:

First you can get the 120 GB for about $135 most places I look such as Amazon.

Second there is also the 60GB Live starter kit available for ~$89 as another option, which also comes with a headset, ethernet cable, and 3 months Live Gold subscription. I mean lets say you take your $100 GC and spend it on the 60GB HDD. You still got a 360 with 60GB HDD for $200 which is a pretty good deal in itself.

The third option, is you could hit up Gamestop, Ebay, or other stores that sell used items and probably easily pick up a second hand 20GB hard drive for $20-$50, which is basically the price of a memory card.

Fourth, It all depends on your "needs" so to speak. If you're a casual player you may not need a hard drive at all. If you dont care about downloading demos and the like, you do not need a hard drive at all and the Arcade is fine for you as is.

And oh yeah, as the guy above me noted Arcades have come with wireless controllers not wired for at least a couple years now.

Playing Devil's Advocate here, but it still doesn't seem like a great deal to me. TBH, it seems to be where it should be priced under normal circumstances. I'm not a fanboy of either console, as I don't currently own either one. But, assuming you use the $100 GC on the 120GB drive, you've spent $234 on the system. Throw in someone in my situation that needs wifi (router and TV aren't even remotely close), and spend another $70 on the adapter to put it at $304.

I can get all of that plus Blu-Ray on the PS3 Slim for $299. Even if I consider Blu-Ray a negligible feature, it takes this sale to put the two consoles on par with each other. What does Xbox then bring to the table that the PS3 slim does not?

I've been eyeballing a console for a bit, and it's getting harder to even justify going the Xbox route.

Playing Devil's Advocate here, but it still doesn't seem like a great deal to me. TBH, it seems to be where it should be priced under normal circumstances. I'm not a fanboy of either console, as I don't currently own either one. But, assuming you use the $100 GC on the 120GB drive, you've spent $234 on the system. Throw in someone in my situation that needs wifi (router and TV aren't even remotely close), and spend another $70 on the adapter to put it at $304.

I can get all of that plus Blu-Ray on the PS3 Slim for $299. Even if I consider Blu-Ray a negligible feature, it takes this sale to put the two consoles on par with each other. What does Xbox then bring to the table that the PS3 slim does not?

I've been eyeballing a console for a bit, and it's getting harder to even justify going the Xbox route.

Forza 3?...

you know you dont have to use al the MS branded stuff right? if you need wifi you can use any bridge or a router in AP mode. but you are right, the price points are negligible. I like the Live system. I use the netflix plugin all the time. Plus my friends all have 360s. I have no idea which one I would get if I didnt have those factors. oh, and I use my 360 as a media center extender too. even if you dont have media center you can use the free media player or Zune software to share your music over the network. not sure if PS3 has that built in or not. I know you can do it with some software but its another $40 or so.

The answer is nothing. And also consider that multiplayer on the PS3 is free. You don't have to buy a "service" like cBox (c is for what it truly is CRAP)

TRENDnet TEW-647GA --> $50 for the perfect little WIFI adapter I use. I used to have the $100 802.11g adapter from Microsoft, but this one performs much better.
Manufacturer Page: http://www.trendnet.com/products/proddetail.asp?prod=195_TEW-647GA&cat=66
NewEgg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833156258&Tpk=TEW-647GA

20gb HDD --> $28 shipped on eBay

Blu-Ray --> Oh c'mon. You're not really going to buy these expensive movies. XBL will be able to stream 1080p on demand, legally, soon. Streaming Netflix is also available. It can stream your downloaded TV shows and movies, too.

The PS3 is a good value, now, but it's not worth the extra $100+ to me.

The answer is nothing. And also consider that multiplayer on the PS3 is free. You don't have to buy a "service" like cBox (c is for what it truly is CRAP)

Crap? Really? Don't tell that to gamers or they'll know you're on the outside.

XBL network is EASILY worth the $3/mo it costs anyone who has heard of slickdeals. But you probably wouldn't know that since your useless fanboy-ism prevents you from going hands on.

My sister was buying a Blu-Ray player and I talked her into buying a PS3. If you're going Blu-Ray, you might as well buy the PS3. But to compare the terrible PSN to XBL is criminal. PSN : Altavista :: XBL : Google

Last edited:
Blu-Ray --> Oh c'mon. You're not really going to buy these expensive movies. XBL will be able to stream 1080p on demand, legally, soon. Streaming Netflix is also available. It can stream your downloaded TV shows and movies, too.

Was doing good until you got to that one.

Crap? Really? Don't tell that to gamers or they'll know you're on the outside.

XBL network is EASILY worth the $3/mo it costs anyone who has heard of slickdeals. But you probably wouldn't know that since your useless fanboy-ism prevents you from going hands on.

My sister was buying a Blu-Ray player and I talked her into buying a PS3. If you're going Blu-Ray, you might as well buy the PS3. But to compare the terrible PSN to XBL is criminal. PSN : Altavista :: XBL : Google

Yes crap. For one the PS3 is a much more advanced piece of hardware.

And why exactly are they charging you for online "service"? What is the value added in that? Nothing, it's called a jack my friend. As far as I'm aware your internet service comes from your ISP (duh) and the ability to find online games is embedded in the games which are created by third party developers, so why are they charging you? I don't' care if they charge you 1 penny, it's still a jack.

Your rationality is "well it's only $3 if you find the right deal." Screw that! I shouldn't have to pay anything. PS3 = win.

we dont need another console debate do we? its an absolute fact that the PS3 gives you much more for the money. anybody that debates that is a moron. if playing online is important than the XBOX360 is better in that area.

BUT the most important thing is the games so get whatever console has the ones you want to play.

I find it amazing that there are so many people willing to even ASK, let alone THINK about buying this, taking it back and keeping the gift card.

Sheesh, no morals? $100 you would save,at the COST OF YOUR SOUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crap - hadn't intended to introduce a console war in here. Just didn't see it as a killer deal to someone new in the console market, as extras will have to be purchased to have a decent gaming experience.

I can definitely see IDversusEGO's point if you had multiple friends already on the Xbox network. Given that most of the folks I know are PC gamers anyway, it's kind of moot point for my situation.

I'd say this is definately a great deal. You can get a 20GB hard drive for $30 shipped on ebay; all of the drives on ebay are hacked western digitals, although some might be recertified hard drives. The jasper units are the best round of hardware to date. To some people, these will be more valueable than the new units coming out soon (which have less cooling and another drive revision).

I find it amazing that there are so many people willing to even ASK, let alone THINK about buying this, taking it back and keeping the gift card.

Yeah that wont work, they'll refuse to take it back without the GC. They scan the console's serial # on to the receipt, so it will still be in their system when you try to return it.

I didn't know the price of my soul was cooperating fully within the confines of capitalism. Maybe when I get to hell I'll see one of the Wal-Mart CEOs there.

I bought an xbox 2 weeks ago from walmart.. and now this deal comes out. I guess ill try to pick one up and return the 2 week old one if they dont want to just give up the goods. As far as I can tell the xbox can be returned for 90 days.

I'd say this is definately a great deal. You can get a 20GB hard drive for $30 shipped on ebay; all of the drives on ebay are hacked western digitals, although some might be recertified hard drives. The jasper units are the best round of hardware to date. To some people, these will be more valueable than the new units coming out soon (which have less cooling and another drive revision).

Yeah that wont work, they'll refuse to take it back without the GC. They scan the console's serial # on to the receipt, so it will still be in their system when you try to return it.
its NOT a great deal if you do a direct comparison to the regularly priced $300 XBOX360 Elite. the Elite come with wireless controller, 120gb hd, hdmi cable, headset, and ethernet cable. the difference in accessories would actually put the $100 arcade OVER $300 by the time you buy them especially if you bought the accessories locally. do a real comparison of the prices if you done believe it. again if you need everything that the Elite has then it would be cheaper and more convenient just to pay regular price for it then to fool with trying to bring the Arcade up to snuff. .

its NOT a great deal if you do a direct comparison to the regularly priced $300 XBOX360 Elite. the Elite come with wireless controller, 120gb hd, hdmi cable, headset, and ethernet cable. the difference in accessories would actually put the $100 arcade OVER $300 by the time you buy them especially if you bought the accessories locally. do a real comparison of the prices if you done believe it. again if you need everything that the Elite has then it would be cheaper and more convenient just to pay regular price for it then to fool with trying to bring the Arcade up to snuff. .
Arcade now comes with a wireless controller. I also believe they removed the HDMI cable from the Elite bundles recently to cut down on cost.
So really the difference is the 120gb, headset, and the network cable.

Arcade now comes with a wireless controller. I also believe they removed the HDMI cable from the Elite bundles recently to cut down on cost.
So really the difference is the 120gb, headset, and the network cable.
well thats good that the Arcade come with the wireless controller now. Best Buy and other stores still list the Elite as coming with HDMI cable so if it does than the Elite is still a better deal than a $100 Arcade. the regular Arcade price of $200 is a complete rip off for what you get.

well thats good that the Arcade come with the wireless controller now. Best Buy and other stores still list the Elite as coming with HDMI cable so if it does than the Elite is still a better deal than a $100 Arcade. the regular Arcade price of $200 is a complete rip off for what you get.

Meh, you can buy a HDMI cable for practically nothing off sites like monoprice. For those of us that are replacing broken 360's and already have a HDD, this deal is through the roof IMO. For what I do with my 360, my old 20gb HDD is plenty (though I'm debating using the giftcard to buy the 60gb HDD). Even if I don't buy the HDD upgrade, I could easily spend $100 at my local Wal-Mart on groceries, gas, etc.

As mentioned, the new elite releases do not have these accessories and the descriptions are based off older releases. They also removed the Optical out break out box that was once bundled with the elite.

I own 2 xboxes and enjoy them. I'm interested in one more for MCE extender for the bedroom. I don't think $200 is a rip off for the xbox arcade. What I would say is a rip off are the accessories. As others have mentioned, just pick up a hdmi cable on the cheap online and if you need wireless pick up a DDWRT capable router. If only the ms would support DIY hard drive upgrades similar to the PS3 it would be awesome... I guess if they did then we would be debating the purpose of the elite;)

As mentioned, the new elite releases do not have these accessories and the descriptions are based off older releases. They also removed the Optical out break out box that was once bundled with the elite.

I own 2 xboxes and enjoy them. I'm interested in one more for MCE extender for the bedroom. I don't think $200 is a rip off for the xbox arcade. What I would say is a rip off are the accessories. As others have mentioned, just pick up a hdmi cable on the cheap online and if you need wireless pick up a DDWRT capable router. If only the ms would support DIY hard drive upgrades similar to the PS3 it would be awesome... I guess if they did then we would be debating the purpose of the elite;)

Meh, you can buy a HDMI cable for practically nothing off sites like monoprice. For those of us that are replacing broken 360's and already have a HDD, this deal is through the roof IMO. For what I do with my 360, my old 20gb HDD is plenty (though I'm debating using the giftcard to buy the 60gb HDD). Even if I don't buy the HDD upgrade, I could easily spend $100 at my local Wal-Mart on groceries, gas, etc.
you people are trying to come with other solutions that have nothing to do with with I said which was a direct comparison between the Elite and Arcade. for what you get, the Arcade for 100 bucks is still no better value than the Elite is for its regular price of 300 bucks. all I said was that IF you needed ALL those accessories then you might as well get the Elite to begin with. and yes I agree the accessories are a total ripoff.

Gamestop sells 120GB HDD for $100. So for $200 you can have a white Elite. I still use my Plantronics Halo 2 headset from the first Xbox. I still think they are the best!

Gamestop sells 120GB HDD for $100. So for $200 you can have a white Elite. I still use my Plantronics Halo 2 headset from the first Xbox. I still think they are the best!
well if thats true then that makes it seem much better than before and would actually then be a good price overall. still doesnt make it an Elite though if someone needs the hdmi cable, headset, and ethernet cable. of course thats if the Elite actually comes with an hmdi like the description says.

I've read on other forums that the gift card is actually for Walmart.com and not in store. Can anyone confirm?

available online now (w the gift card) and you can use bing for another 10% discount

Amazon is also doing a similar deal in the gold box (6AM, PST)

One (1) per customer, limited time offer while supplies last, online only gift card.

The gift card that I received is an in-store credit card...it may vary, the add online did say it was supposed to be for online only.

Back