Want 4.0ghz on your i7 920? Heres how!

Krytok

n00b
Hey [H],

Long time reader, first post!

I have used these settings on 12 entirely different i7 920 rigs and have had a successful 4.0ghz overclock on everyone with the same settings.

Go into BIOS and disable all cpu throttling/power management stuff (C1E, Speedstep etc)

Set the following settings
IOH: 1.2v
ICH: 1.2v
DRAM: 1.65v (ignore ominous BIOS message, totally safe)
CPU PLL: 1.88v
QPI: 1.35v
VCORE: 1.275

If you have 1333mhz ddr3, use 190BLCK /w x21 multi. If you have 1600mhz ddr, use 210BLCK /w x19 multi.

Go ahead and give it a shot, you'll soon find yourself with an easy and low temp OC!

No 4.0GHz is guaranteed, even with those settings. Also, people have different RAM kits so they may only have to set 1.5v or 1.6v for the DRAM, instead of 1.65v. Additionally, Vcore will vary depending on the specific chip.

No 4.0GHz is guaranteed
/thread.

It's good for you that you've had such consistent results, but every chip is different, and there isn't anything remotely like a guarantee that those settings will work for everyone.

n00bie, 1 Day

Just noticed it as well. Don't want to put down a n00bie and commend him on his first post, but posting something as blatant as that...

However, he did say that tried those exact settings on 12 different systems and got 4GHz on each one so it must be true. :rolleyes:

My C0 needs 1.35v to be stable at 210x19 Which isn't 4Ghz, you need 211 which for me requires 1.4v. Hence why i settled at the wall of 208x19 (shows as 207 for some reason) @ 1.32v
Most likely those instructions will be fine for the majority of D0 chips but not C0

Last edited:
My C0 needs 1.35v to be stable at 210x19 Which isn't 4Ghz, you need 211 which for me requires 1.4v. Hence why i settled at the wall of 208x19 (shows as 207 for some reason) @ 1.32v
Most likely thos instructions will be fine for the majority of D0 chips but not C0

Some C0s can possibly do it. Mine needs 1.375v (BIOS) or 1.348v (CPU-Z) to hit 20x200 with HT disabled so I just run it at a much lower voltage (1.25v) @ 3.8GHz with HT on.

My C0 needs 1.3v to be stable at 3.60GHz. I'm assuming that if he actually used these settings in 12 systems they must have been D0's. Also is it proven that you can safely raise the voltage on the dram? I thought that this could damage the on die memory controller? For what it's worth atleast his first post is constructive albeit a little bit cocky :p

my first D0 needed 1.35v to stablize at 3700mhz.

the new one though... thats a different beast. 4200mhz with 1.32v

Some C0s can possibly do it. Mine needs 1.375v (BIOS) or 1.348v (CPU-Z) to hit 20x200 with HT disabled so I just run it at a much lower voltage (1.25v) @ 3.8GHz with HT on.

Quite right, just the majority of them are unable to overclock like Krytok stated.

This is not only a repost from all over the internet its a VERY BAD repost, brief and basically a worthless post. (because of lacking information, no everyone is going to have those results just by setting those settings)

I am at 4.1Ghz on my 920, H50 cooling it.

Not one of my settings match those settings, but if you have had 12 rigs setup this way then there is something you know that I don't :rolleyes:

My system is 100% stable too, (burn tests and screenshots to prove it)

Prime95
Intel Burn Test on Very High and PASSED
3dMarks
est

Anyways... MANY more details are needed to clear up your post

Mobo
Memory used (speed, brand, est)
920 spec... C0 or D0 stepping? there is no way you are at 4 with 1.27 with a C0
Screenshots to support your "facts"
Cooling, air, water, TEC?????
List goes on...

Add more information to your original post and you will not only make me believe you but you will be helpful to people reading that are new to overclocking

This is not only a repost from all over the internet its a VERY BAD repost, brief and basically a worthless post. (because of lacking information, no everyone is going to have those results just by setting those settings)

I am at 4.1Ghz on my 920, H50 cooling it.

Not one of my settings match those settings, but if you have had 12 rigs setup this way then there is something you know that I don't :rolleyes:

My system is 100% stable too, (burn tests and screenshots to prove it)

Prime95
Intel Burn Test on Very High and PASSED
3dMarks
est

Anyways... MANY more details are needed to clear up your post

Mobo
Memory used (speed, brand, est)
920 spec... C0 or D0 stepping? there is no way you are at 4 with 1.27 with a C0
Screenshots to support your "facts"
Cooling, air, water, TEC?????
List goes on...

Add more information to your original post and you will not only make me believe you but you will be helpful to people reading that are new to overclocking

+1
Hammer --> Nail

Sure that's all neat and dandy, 4ghz with your i7 920, but, tell me, what should I do to get 4ghz with my Phenom 965 x4 140TDP? :D

Just noticed it as well. Don't want to put down a n00bie and commend him on his first post, but posting something as blatant as that...

However, he did say that tried those exact settings on 12 different systems and got 4GHz on each one so it must be true. :rolleyes:
12 systems with the same "magic" CPU is not really 12 systems unless it suits your goal of the post. And with HT on there is no way in hell that is possible even with a D0 to get is stable on only 1.275V and keep it "cool" the same time.
Mabey i just read to far but it does not say 12 different 920(mix of C0 and D0).

EnderW said:
n00bie, 1 Day

Just another post whore working hard at life :rolleyes:

Well, sometime they really smart:D

how many days he has been on this forum means nothing, just because he hasn't been here for 10000 days doesn't mean he is a 1d10t

He could be the Intel engineer that work on the design of the i7, how would you know?

He could have been on every other forum for 10 years and knows everything there is to know

What does matter is the post at hand, and the lack of information and backing up material... I have never looked at a persons post count to determine the facts at hand, I know what I know and I will base my judgement on that... not on his post count ;)

If we all was to judge you we could just say your name has n00bie next to it,.... even though you have been here for 1.9 years, but have not post whored it up enough to get your name to "higher" standards :rolleyes:

GROW UP!!!!

For the love of God OP, no mention of cooling at all? hahaha...

I've been properly troll baited today. Sigh... Everyone stop feeding the troll!

Back