Want HDTV and analog in windows XP Pro

dementer

[H]ard|Gawd
I have been browseing around trying to find a thread where someone recomended such a card, but no luck...

Anyways...
I want to put in a new TV tuner card that will support XP Pro, have HDTV and analog...
I want to be able to use my computer as a Tivo as i will not have a TV in my dorm
a remote is pretty much a must

i have seen the ATI HD card is pretty nasty so that one looks out of the runnings...

Hardware wise i have a 3.4 Intel, DFI lan party 775-T, ATI X800XL

Anything for me?

Thank you!

I have not seen one tuner card that does analog and HD. most people get both. as for the remote, skip the bundled crap and get a good one. if you use it full time, you will need something better than the junk that comes with the cards.

Buy two seperate cards, one for analog and one for HD. It just makes things easier all around.
I'd pickup a PVR150 MCE for PC Alchemy and a DVICO Fusion5 Lite from Digital Connection.

What software do you plan on using with them?

CrimandEvil said:
Buy two seperate cards, one for analog and one for HD. It just makes things easier all around.
I'd pickup a PVR150 MCE for PC Alchemy and a DVICO Fusion5 Lite from Digital Connection.

What software do you plan on using with them?

damn sounds like none do both...

ok, just analog then.. what software and remote do you recomend?

I couldn't really suggest an app for HD tuners since I don't bother with them right now (I find OTA HD not really HD, I'm waiting for Cable Card support instead). I know MCE's support is pretty solid, I hear SageTV (what I use for regular TV, I would suggest it for a PVR app) has some support for them.

You know what? There are other methods you can do to tune HD rather then getting an HD tuner, with the right STB you can tune it via firewire.

Remote, you could go with this: http://www.pcalchemy.com/product_info.php/pName/usbuirt-ir-blaster/cName/case-accessories

And software called Girder and use whatever remote you want (universal, tivo, even a PS2 remote if you program it).

quote: " ...I find OTA HD not really HD..."

erp?
HD is something more than 16x9 720p or 1080i to you?
*confused*

weebling1 said:
quote: " ...I find OTA HD not really HD..."

erp?
HD is something more than 16x9 720p or 1080i to you?
*confused*
Well the easist example would be watching PBS in HD (OTA) versus watching ESPN in HD (real HD content). Currrently you can't watch HD channels like ESPN,HBO, etc in HD.

HD is alot more then a resolution, hell I can make my DVDs 720p that doesn't make them HD content now does it?

I guess nobody likes the ATi HD Wonder (or whateverthehell it's called)?
It does both SD and HD.

jebo_4jc said:
I guess nobody likes the ATi HD Wonder (or whateverthehell it's called)?
It does both SD and HD.
There isn't an app out there that uses the SD input (maybe GBPVR but I doubt it) and yeah those that know don't like the ATI HD Wonder. It's okay with MCE though since MCE is limited in what it does with OTA HD anyways but for the price there are much better cards cheaper.

which would u pick for strictly ota hdtv running on win xp pro?

ATI HD Wonder $140
comes with remote and antenna and so so software.

AVerTVHD MCE A180 $80

DVICO FusionHDTV 5 lite $99
DVICO FusionHDTV 5 gold plus $150
has fancy lg 5th gen tuner, but prob overkill for OTA?