Want to merge unallocated space with my C drive

evilpanda

n00b
How can I merge the unallocated space with my C drive when the free space is sandwiched between 2 other partitions like this? Using Windows 7 64 bits.
Thanks!
drivesp.jpg

Well, you're going to want to back up everything before you start messing with partitions. I was looking to see if Partition Magic can do this but it doesn't appear to be made anymore .....

What I would probably do is just delete that D partition, extend your C partition, and then re-create the D partition and copy the data back from your backup. It would be much easier that way and should be able to do it just using the built in windows disk management rather than having to get any new software.

BTW, your image link is busted, I think you meant to do this:

drivesp.jpg

I was actually just trying to do this on my wife's old laptop this morning, similar situation to OP:

C: 100GB (OS drive with Windows just reinstalled)
D: 10GB (Dell Recovery partition - useless to me)
2.5GB (unallocated - some other recovery partition, already formatted)

I want to extend C: by 12.5GB so she can store a bit more and to delay the inevitable Macbook purchase :).

Disk Management says that a boot/system partition cannot be extended. Is the other software (free) that can do it?

Thanks

Yeah I guessed that deleting partition D, extend C then recreate D would be the best solution. I'll need to find some space to backup my D. Thanks!

Or you could try out gparted. I'm pretty sure it will let you do a two-step change. 1. move the new storage as far to the right as possible, and then 2. resize the C: partition to use the now available space after it.

Or you could try out gparted. I'm pretty sure it will let you do a two-step change. 1. move the new storage as far to the right as possible, and then 2. resize the C: partition to use the now available space after it.

Agreed, that should work.

Warning about gparted, it does not fully support Windows 7 partitions. In the past, whenever I've changed my Windows 7 boot partition, I've had to use the W7 boot / recovery disc to fix it afterwards. No data loss, no problems, just an extra step. Just so you know.

Yeah I guessed that deleting partition D, extend C then recreate D would be the best solution. I'll need to find some space to backup my D. Thanks!

I would not even start to do any of the things discussed here without a complete backup on a separate external drive.

I have successfully done several of the recommendations without a problem but there is always the chance of making all partitions on the drive unreadable.

yes... backup.... have a copy of windows 7 media available, then use gparted. Since you will not be resizing/relocating the first (Boot) partition, you should not run into problems. But always be prepared for the chance that you do.

Back