Want to replace my Soyo 24''

Khaydarin

2[H]4U
I'm looking to replace my Soyo 24'' LCD with an HDMI-compatible 24'' screen so I can run Blu-Ray. I really like the display quality (PVA) of the Soyo, so I'm somewhat hesitant to get a TN panel (since I heard the viewing angles and colors aren't as good). Are the newer TN panels much better than they used to be? I use my monitor for school stuff (web, office apps), movies, and games. My budget is about $450. What would you suggest? BenQ? Samsung? HP? Dell? Which models?

I'd be interested in hearing this too, I got a Soyo Topaz back when they were PVA. The quality overall is really good compared to my old Acer 22" TN, but the color setting on the Soyo has always been a little weird (hard to get good contrast w/o being way too bright).

Are you watching blu-ray on an internal Blu-ray Drive?

Because you could just get the program AnyDVD which bypasses the HDCP stuff... so you can use it on any monitor/setup.

But if you're using a PS3 or similar, then you wouldn't be able to... not easily atleast..

But if you're using a PS3 or similar, then you wouldn't be able to... not easily atleast..
HDCP stripper, not cheap of course but still much cheaper than an hdmi compliant PVA or IPS based monitor.

But yes, if the OP is using an internal blu-ray optical drive then AnyDVD would the right choice. Note that AnyDVD is going to be subscription based as of Jan 1st, so you'd want to make your purchase before then.

Yea I was aware of hardware related ones, but I figured they wouldn't be worth the cost...

Who knows though, there are a couple options for OP if he wants to keep the Soyo though...

Yea, there's a few ways the OP can go about it. He can sell his current monitor, skip the HDCP stripper and devote that savings to a nicer monitor, or even an LCDTV.

OP, personally i wouldn't rush into any purchase, give it some research time. $450 is a decent budget imho, you can research all of the 26" TN based panels, maybe you'll get lucky and stumble upon something PVA based. Be sure to also check out some in-store options. This way if you don't like the monitor you can easily return it or swap it for a different one. Here's a 26" glossy available at Costco for example. But as mentioned prior, if you're using an internal blu-ray optical drive then you wouldn't have to replace your current monitor at all, just pickup AnyDVD before Jan 1st and be done with it ;)

Back