Wanting to start my own IT consulting firm

just another thought to move things forward a bit. we are all here liking these ideas and the energy of the thread. but what has come of it? not much in the way of actually connecting to each other in a consulting network. i mean does anyone here know my expertise? what jobs i'm willing to work on? how about my name so you can give a referal?

so i was planning already to get a small site up- basically my resume and jobs i'm available for- once my internet connection is straight (i just moved and have had DSL troubles). it will be out there to help generate some leads hopefully. if we all have those sorts of things online it allows us to get to know each other in a professional manner. i will know that RavinDJ has 15 years experience with Sun systems administration (or whatever) i will know that he's not into setting up little rinky dink wireless for avg home users, but is aiming at more of the corporate consulting level and he absolutely will not root around in crawl spaces pulling cable.

we can all post links to our info here in this thread if we like or we can do it some other way. perhaps we can even post links on our sites to the resumes of others here. so someone browses my page sees i'm not local but then i have a list of other localities on my site and they go to a link that takes them to SJConsultant since they live in cherry hill or something.

anyway, i'm just rambling again.

RavinDJ said:
Hmmm... so how do we divide the 8.8 million New Jerseyians? :p

Seriously, though... which part of NJ are you in? I'm from East Rutherford area... right by Giants Stadium, Continental Arena, etc. Are you in business for yourself full-time, part-time? Woud you want to meet up one of these days and exchange stories, etc?

Started business full time last May after I quit my job (long story short, I quit a full time job to continue college education), I am down in Cumberland County which is about 45 minutes South of the Camden County / Philadelphia area.

Would be a great idea to get together ! I'm wondering if anyone else would be interested since we could all meet somewhere in Central Jersey. :D

big daddy fatsacks, as soon as I get my website up and running, I can forward the information for linkage as well having a section with reciprocal links to others as well. :cool:

big daddy fatsacks said:
just another thought to move things forward a bit. we are all here liking these ideas and the energy of the thread. but what has come of it? not much in the way of actually connecting to each other in a consulting network. i mean does anyone here know my expertise? what jobs i'm willing to work on? how about my name so you can give a referal?

so i was planning already to get a small site up- basically my resume and jobs i'm available for- once my internet connection is straight (i just moved and have had DSL troubles). it will be out there to help generate some leads hopefully. if we all have those sorts of things online it allows us to get to know each other in a professional manner. i will know that RavinDJ has 15 years experience with Sun systems administration (or whatever) i will know that he's not into setting up little rinky dink wireless for avg home users, but is aiming at more of the corporate consulting level and he absolutely will not root around in crawl spaces pulling cable.

we can all post links to our info here in this thread if we like or we can do it some other way. perhaps we can even post links on our sites to the resumes of others here. so someone browses my page sees i'm not local but then i have a list of other localities on my site and they go to a link that takes them to SJConsultant since they live in cherry hill or something.

anyway, i'm just rambling again.

Great idea! It would be a great way of taking advantage of this community. I'd know who to send business to or inquire about directly -in my area. I'm down with that. I guess the format of things would need to be thought of but beyond that I think it's an awesome idea.

Heh... it sounds like we need to build our own web directory of [H]ard Consultants that people and businesses can go and seach for services a particular geography. :D :p

SJConsultant said:
Would be a great idea to get together ! I'm wondering if anyone else would be interested since we could all meet somewhere in Central Jersey. :D

sounds good to me.

jmroberts70 said:
Great idea! It would be a great way of taking advantage of this community. I'd know who to send business to or inquire about directly -in my area. I'm down with that. I guess the format of things would need to be thought of but beyond that I think it's an awesome idea.

I definitely agree ... I loath to turn down a client, and it is hard to recommend somebody else specially if you don't know them ...

I just had a call the other day from Texas about osCommerce and Verisign Payflow Pro ... but turned them down, because I don;t even know where to start ... talked them over the phone and gave them general ideas ... shame too, because they told me they'll pay me upfront ... but I can't promise anymore time due to my commitments locally ... :(

twwabw said:
People will notice you doing the work and word will spread. Use the "friend" trump card- play it to death to get a foot in the door of a real business. once you're there, pour your heart into fixing every last problem they have and being their saviour.

The word will spread. I now have a part-timer, and make more money than I ever thought I could. My client base grows. But cardinal rule- never EVER charge for something you didn't do! Be honest. Fix mistakes for free. And be sure to let them know you did.

There's nothing wrong with telling the customer "I don't know- but I'll find out for you". Then, hit every source of info. you can find and get the answer! Don't be afraid to charge for what you do.

Right on so many Levels....

------------------------------------------

Other Tips to IT Consulting...

- If you dont finish a job/problem properly.. It will come back to bite you. Guaranteed.

- Don’t go fixing the bosses computer when you are tired....i.e. after 10pm on a Sunday after you have being fixing the "dozimawhatsa... database.. kernel config." YOU will mess it up beyond repair.

- Always set truthful expectations up front with the client before you start the job. (Hard to do when starting out but you get better at it.) Useful tool is to give phased/time based estimations IE Best Case: 2 hours, Likely Case: 4 hours, Worst Case: 6 Hours.

- Never say "I am doing my best...." When the shit hits the fan the client will say " Your best isn’t good enough. Your fired."

- Have a Win Win Outlook for all your Customers. I.e. Your company wins by helping them, and there company wins by getting the right solution from you, at the right price point. (Microsoft is an pretty good example of win lose...)

- Once your reputation spreads you must avoid Time Vampires... If your gut says this client is going to be a whinge/break your ballz.. etc you don’t need to the money and you don’t need the stress.

- if you look hard enough the answer is there... you probably just don’t know the words to use to even search. Persistence.

- Never try and cover up mistakes.. or think that if the client doesn’t know it will go away. Wrong.

- Don’t do work for Free. It sets a precedent in the clients mind that they can ask again.

- The ghost in the machine lives. Sometimes...

- Read "Zen and the art of Motor Cycle Maintenance."
Robert M. Pirsig says our physic gasoline is Gumption, a reservoir of good spirits that can be added to or subtracted from. If you haven't got Gumption you might as well gather up all the other tools and put them away. He then explains that a Gumption Trap is anything that causes one to lose sight of quality and thus enthusiasm for what one is doing.

- Develop Thick skin. People are usually calling you in there time of need --> insert frustration, rage, anger, ignorance.... etc.

- Avoid radiating contempt for clients who dont know or understand. Verbally/sarcastically or with body language are both bad. They are your clients. They pay your bills.

- Estimation Games. Don’t Play Them.
http://www.thomsett.com.au/main/articles/hot/games.htm

Great Thread anyway.

Allright, guys... let's keep this thread alive!

Yeah, I'm all up for meeting up in Central Jersey. Anyone else up for it? Also, where abouts? Somewhere close to GSP or NJT?

Here's a good question related to advertising...

How do you guys differentiate yourselves from the competition?

SJConsultant said:
Here's a good question related to advertising...

How do you guys differentiate yourselves from the competition?

I always try to personalize myself as much as possible. If you're a one-man show, then make sure people know they'll get a personality and a friendly, warm face to look at. I also tell them that they're better off going with me, since I can always come to them, while if they need help, they need to go out to the big company's office/store.

RavinDJ said:
Allright, guys... let's keep this thread alive!

Yeah, I'm all up for meeting up in Central Jersey. Anyone else up for it? Also, where abouts? Somewhere close to GSP or NJT?
Exit 117 or even closer, the PNC Arts Center. Literally half a mile away.

MooCow said:
Exit 117 or even closer, the PNC Arts Center. Literally half a mile away.

Hmmm... I hope you don't mean the REST AREA on the GSP by Exit 125 (on the southern side of the bridge; right after the toll when you're travelling South) :D

But, yeah... let's do it! When? Where?

Food place? Starbucks? B&N or Border's?

SJConsultant said:
I'm in as long as we can meet during the weekend. ;)

How about next Saturday, October 9th?

BTW... That's the Saturday the SAT's are for most high-school kids :eek:

Yeah I could meet up sometime in the next week or two, I'm never certain on whats happening later on during the week so things are due to change, but the meeting will definatly have to happen in the near future.

Oh, I mean I live near exit 117 :)

Eww don't even mention the SAT's... hated cramming for those. FUCK THE SAT'S!!!!

BUMP.

Just checking in with everyone.

Things have been going good for us so far. My partner and I finally got our name and are in the process of registering ourselves as an LLC and getting everything legalized. So far we have a couple of clients that we are starting work for. Mostly web development projects that we proposed plans to business looking for work to be done. Havent found more than 1 IT project, but hopefully that will pick up from word of mouth.

About to follow suit. Semister ends in about a month, I got a name in mind to register soon, gonna get moving!

MooCow said:
About to follow suit. Semister ends in about a month, I got a name in mind to register soon, gonna get moving!

Are you going to be done with school forever? or just for the semester?

I find it so hard for me to work a full time job and do this at night/weekends. By the time i get home, im dead tired. I just i gotta motivated myself and see the light at the end of the tunnel so to speak.

I've got more projects and work than I can handle and getting more calls as the weeks progress.........I'm currently looking into office space and will be hiring techs once I find a business location.

SJConsultant said:
I've got more projects and work than I can handle and getting more calls as the weeks progress.........I'm currently looking into office space and will be hiring techs once I find a business location.

DUDE! THATS AWESOME!

Arent you still in school though?

killerasp said:
DUDE! THATS AWESOME!

Arent you still in school though?

Actually, I've had to drop this semester to keep up with the workload :( , there really isn't any time for class or studying since a couple of new clients have networks that are literally falling apart plus i've got 3 major network jobs that are upcoming.

This is just one of those difficult choices, I'd rather drop classes and pick up again later than screw up my 3.8 GPA. :p

SJConsultant said:
Actually, I've had to drop this semester to keep up with the workload :( , there really isn't any time for class or studying since a couple of new clients have networks that are literally falling apart plus i've got 3 major network jobs that are upcoming.

This is just one of those difficult choices, I'd rather drop classes and pick up again later than screw up my 3.8 GPA. :p

Glad to hear things are going good for you. Be sure to get your ass back in school when you can. b/c i can honestly say, the longer you stay out, the harder it is to get back in.

killerasp said:
Glad to hear things are going good for you. Be sure to get your ass back in school when you can. b/c i can honestly say, the longer you stay out, the harder it is to get back in.

I plan on returning once I get some decent help that I can send out on jobs and relieve some of the workload. :D

hi there. remember this thread guys? well here is the beta . . . or perhaps alpha version of my professional site. it is VERY rough and may actually be ripped down completely before going back online in it's final form/resting place. i just thought i'd throw this out there. and i plan to include a links section which will allow users to go directly to the site of a consultant in their area (if they happen to find me, but they're in new mexico). so if you want to be included please post a url to your home page, the text you'd like to appear as a link, and a your location.

btw, the site is running on linux, apache, and mysql. it is a basic install of drupal that i'm trying to get working for my needs. can you say LAMP? ;)

also, i plan to produce a lot of tech help documentation to post on the site. if you'd like to contribute please send me your submission as a word document via email to sirDOTloucious@AT@gmail<dot>com. you would obviously get credit for the piece, and i think i'll try to have it so that each author's name links back to your site.

i apologize if it takes a while to get things up or get back to you. but i have a FT job, take 2 classes at night, and am pulling time to work on this out of my arse.

peace

big daddy fatsacks said:
hi there. remember this thread guys? well here is the beta . . . or perhaps alpha version of my professional site. it is VERY rough and may actually be ripped down completely before going back online in it's final form/resting place. i just thought i'd throw this out there.

Looks good, only thought is why advertise in the first line that you are "young" - puts an image in the potential customers head that might not be what you want. Young often translates into inexperienced (talking about image not reality).

Apologies if this has already been covered...

I'm in the UK and looking into starting up a business as many of you are/have already.

I'm a little confused though... Are you actually a consultant if you're "doing the work" - my understanding was that the consultant goes in.. analyses the "problem" and puts together a paper to solve it...

I'm currently a project manager and love the idea of becoming an IT/tech consultant aswell as getting down to the nitty gritty (building the networks, troubleshooting the problems etc) - Just seems that you'd be better sticking to one and not trying to juggle both...?

ltickett said:

I'm in the UK and looking into starting up a business as many of you are/have already.

I'm a little confused though... Are you actually a consultant if you're "doing the work" - my understanding was that the consultant goes in.. analyses the "problem" and puts together a paper to solve it...

I'm currently a project manager and love the idea of becoming an IT/tech consultant aswell as getting down to the nitty gritty (building the networks, troubleshooting the problems etc) - Just seems that you'd be better sticking to one and not trying to juggle both...?

Problem is that while Consultant "A" can advise a solution, the tech may not be able to follow what the consultant was thinking or the tech may know a better way than the proposed solution.

My business serves in both capacities. We give businesses the best of both worlds by being able to analyze the problem, propose solutions, and do the work. I find both go hand in hand as well as the customer knows if a solution is proposed, it's one based on our experience and our abilities to implement it.

ltickett said:

You can call yourself a consultant, and still provide the service of actually doing/providing the slution ... that's what I do ... in fact there is no distinction between the analysis part and the service part ... I just lump them all together and charge by the hour ...

The client seems to like the "consultant" name than being a "technician" ... just a matter of presenting yourself ...

Although not a lot of people can handle them both ... so it's up to your capability ...

big daddy fatsacks said:
hi there. remember this thread guys? well here is the beta . . . or perhaps alpha version of my professional site. it is VERY rough and may actually be ripped down completely before going back online in it's final form/resting place. i just thought i'd throw this out there. and i plan to include a links section which will allow users to go directly to the site of a consultant in their area (if they happen to find me, but they're in new mexico). so if you want to be included please post a url to your home page, the text you'd like to appear as a link, and a your location.

btw, the site is running on linux, apache, and mysql. it is a basic install of drupal that i'm trying to get working for my needs. can you say LAMP? ;)

also, i plan to produce a lot of tech help documentation to post on the site. if you'd like to contribute please send me your submission as a word document via email to sirDOTloucious@AT@gmail<dot>com. you would obviously get credit for the piece, and i think i'll try to have it so that each author's name links back to your site.

i apologize if it takes a while to get things up or get back to you. but i have a FT job, take 2 classes at night, and am pulling time to work on this out of my arse.

peace

your site has a lot of technical wording, which is good for someone who knows what they are specifically looking for. However if I were to look for a consulting company I would not use you simply due to the fact your site is not "user friendly" enough. No where did I see your name, and as you stated on the front page, or contact information.

Whether it be commercial or residential, when a client is reading your site the last thing they want to do is see technical jargon and im sure they won't be interested in an RSS feed to your site.

Think about toning the site down and providing a more laymans definition for your services and "resume". I personally would ditch the resume portion.

B

random question to all your [h]ard working consultants...

of those that are working full time jobs, are you doing any consulting work on the side?

Currently working my job, i find very very little time to do anything outside of my job. the face that once you do a consulting job, you will have to provide a level of support which is mainly driving me away from concentrating too much time ot this venture.

killerasp said:

of those that are working full time jobs, are you doing any consulting work on the side?

Currently working my job, i find very very little time to do anything outside of my job. the face that once you do a consulting job, you will have to provide a level of support which is mainly driving me away from concentrating too much time ot this venture.

Yes,i do have a full time job in a print shop and i also do work for the architects who design wal-greens and am working on getting in with the local land owners that wal-greens sits on. Im 27 and have been doing IT Consulting for 13 years now. I've dont it for Century21 as well.

It takes time and people networking to establish your clientel. It took me awhile but now im probably going to go into Property Management with one of my clients,thanks to meeting the right people.

Yes ... I work more than full time @ OSU Medical Center as a Systems Developer/Engineer ... my clients understand that I can only work on their systems after hours or weekend ...

I've been doing consulting for 10 years now ... not a big thing really ... just enough for me to buy my toys and not have the wife complain ... :D

big daddy fatsacks said:
anyway, i think it might be a good idea for people to form a professional network here. RavinDJ is in the baltimore area. killerasp is in new york. i am in DC. etc. there is always a chance you are going to generate a lead that is out of your area and it would be nice to refer that person to someone else here who is looking for work.

I agree. There are a ton of Marylanders on here and it only makes sense to network (in the people sense).

I'm smack dab in the middle of DC and Baltimore in Odenton/Fort Meade and I too am looking at part time consulting/contracting. Once I separate from the Air Force I'd love to establish my own consulting biz, but times are tough when it comes to getting established.

Love to see revised threads! I personally have found that people (especially small businesses) don’t want to pay two people or companies to do what is in their eyes one thing. They also for the most part think that it shouldn’t take two entities to complete one job. The most I have ever worked with another company in solving an issue is with software that I have never seen before or upgrading to a new version of software that the business was recommended to do from the software company. I try to offer a one stop shop for customers, which is especially good if you do business in a small town.

GeForceX said:
Well, here's a good line I remembered from a while ago-- it goes something like this:

Employer: How much are you expecting for your starting salary pay?

You have like three choices:

1) Decide on a moderately average salary and hint that you do expect raises as you show them how good/skilled you are on your job. Gives the employer the comfortability to make room and see you over time to see you actually doing a good job (you'd have to prove that).

"Well, I would expect around the $30K-ish average but I would like to receive raises as you see fit." <-- Maybe you can put better wordings into that sentence.

2) Decide on a high salary but don't expect generous raises in your salary but you do have to prove them that you ARE the guy they want within a short amount of time so they can have faith in you and NOT regret the choice they made.

"I believe I'm your guy, I'll prove to you how helpful I am to your company, I'd be willing to set for a high salary but only as you see fit." <-- This somehow softens the blow, but I bet you could make this sentence better, hehe.

3) Negotiate with him on the salary but emphasize on the "The more money I get, the more work I will be willing to do" or the "How good I am you see is how much you should pay me" concept. Which means you'd have to let him set the price now and you can push it higher or go with it but to expect raises, you'd have to show them your experience shining within a short amount of time so they don't underestimate you. I know how much employers tend to "look down" on their employees as "newbs" (no, not saying it happens all over) but showing your skills is one way to shut them up and make them want to keep you.

The sentence should be self explanatory, you can make it better. :-P

-J.

I disagree. In fact, this horrible advice when dealing with the corporate landscape. You never want to sell youself into a position where you have to rely on a raise to get you the money you feel you're worth. Always get that cash up front at the word go. Otherwise you'll see that companies suck you into the trap of putting the carrot just out of reach always wanting you to do a little more, or not giving you the raise you deserve. It happens all the time. Sure there or the occational "good jobs" that will treat you right and do by their word, but they're few and far between. For most they just get screwed. Actually its HR's job to not only find qualified people to work at a company, but to get them for as little as the person is willing to work for. That's just how it is.

My advice, treat it like an inverse auction. Shoot for the moon first, but don't let them whittle you down past your cutoff. If they don't want to pay you what you're worth for your area, then walk away. Hell, that in itself can jolt them into compliance.

killerasp said:

On the other side of the coin, since consulting is my full time job :p , I find myself with very little free time to do anything else besides work on client's networks and problems. I am hoping for that to change once I have a new employee trained to take over the weekly work.

SJConsultant said:

how long have u worked in IT b4 u started your consulting company. ultimately i'd like to do the same thing, but I'm nowhere near where I'd like to be education/skill wise. I have alot of business ideas, but i just haven't leared the technical side of it yet. it's good to here that ur doin good. hearing someone's doing good in IT is always good news.. what kinda consultations do u provide primarily? web, network, programming, db's? hopefully by the time im 40 (only 22 now) i can quit whatever job i have and go full time into it. was it scary to leave a sure thing and start ur own business? sorry for the barrage of questions btw

thanks

Back