Warez to Freeware Conversion...

Komataguri said:
Anyone got a free utility to make unrecoverable deletions with the ability to select how many passes of random 0s and 1s to use?

What you want is "wipe": http://directory.fsf.org/wipe.html -- http://wipe.sf.net/ Considering that it is gnu, it may be standard in most distros (I know it's in my copy anyway.) In other words, you probably already have a copy, so just try typing it and it may work right off. Either way, should be easy for you to get. Anything you can't securely erase with it, you'll probably have to do the whole drive.

Nazo said:
What you want is "wipe": http://directory.fsf.org/wipe.html -- http://wipe.sf.net/ Considering that it is gnu, it may be standard in most distros (I know it's in my copy anyway.) In other words, you probably already have a copy, so just try typing it and it may work right off. Either way, should be easy for you to get. Anything you can't securely erase with it, you'll probably have to do the whole drive.

I use Windows, mate.

My fault, thought I had it in my sig.

Komataguri said:
Not looking to nuke a whole drive, tho. . .

You can right click on any file or folder or whatever and erase it w/ up to 35 passes you don't have to erase the whole drive.

Oh well, that may be better for you, but, for what it's worth, I have tried compiling wipe in cygwin and it appeared to work. You'll probably want to go with the GUI method though.

well, my login still works..after so many years :)

anyway, to freeware:

Dreamweaver:
NVu ( http://www.nvu.com/ )
"Finally! A complete Web Authoring System for Linux Desktop users as well as Microsoft Windows and Macintosh users to rival programs like FrontPage and Dreamweaver."

actually just got it today, and its looking good so far.

Video Editing:
Avid Free DV ( http://www.avid.com/freedv/ )
"-Perfect for students, DV camera owners, video enthusiasts or anyone exploring video editing - Avid Free DV software is an easy, free way to join the Avid family and test-drive the industry-standard editing interface used by more professionals than any other video editing solution."

Its a limited version of Avid Xpress, but its free and beats the living daylight out of the Windows Movie Maker :)

ZOMO said:
Its a limited version of Avid Xpress, but its free and beats the living daylight out of the Windows Movie Maker :)
So does some scotch tape, a VCR, and some spare video cassttes. d-:

Sorry, I couldn't help myself, I really couldn't.

Great suggestions! Openoffice is now a staple on any computer I''m setting up, as are Firefox(been using that for awhile though) and 7zip.

I found this thread searching for alternative applications, so I was wondering if anybody knew of a (decent) binary newsreader to replace Newsleecher? I've tried xNews, but it's slow and the interface is terrible.

Well I will say OpenOffice also because it is a great piece of software

Now since FireFox has been mentioned, Mozilla Thunderbird should be mentioned also as an alternative to Outlook.

This one isn't really an alternative to a commercial product, but it free, a great piece of work, is useful and shoult be mentioned anyway. Hamachi is a program that allows zero-configuration LANs over the internet. I use this all the time to play LAN games with my friends.

Also Xchat is a good open source alternative to mIRC. I like it because it appears very lightweight, yet is still rather powerful.

I know this is an old thread, but I found that http://www.kessels.com/defrag/ does a great job, slow a little bit, but it defrags everything, It also compacts, comes in command line and GUI, just start up the GUI and it autostarts on ur first drive, you may see that it defrags items u already have tried to defrag with others, this defrags system files too, as when I used it my boot time went down, for example it went from 30secs or less to 5 or 6 seconds and my computer starts up qiucker..

Remember takes a bit especailly on high GB (gigabyte drives) but Works flawlessly..and FREE to boot.
:)

By the way after defragmenting Drive D: with windows Defrag it showed that not everything defragmented and didn't even compact very well but using Defrag from http://www.kessels.com/defrag/ it showed better compactedness.. :)

Higly Recommended (ratings based on 5 stars):

Speed-3 stars
GUI-3
Performance-5

Overall-3.666666667

altho- performance gets a 5/5 or 10/10

Its performance that counts not speed or GUI

This Defragmenter is HIGLY RECOMMENDED

:cool:

nowshining said:
Remember takes a bit especailly on high GB (gigabyte drives) but Works flawlessly..and FREE to boot.
:)
Well of course it's free... You wouldn't post it in this thread otherwise :p

Does anybody know a good alternative to Everest? I've been using it since the AIDA32 days, and I'm sad that the freeware version is discontinued. I have a copy of the free one installed, but its a bit outdated because they don't update the free version anymore. I liked the interface of Everest the most. Any alternatives?

Wish I could help with that. AIDA32 just freezes up when I try it. Definitely time for updates, but, the author has intentionally dropped it in favor of Everest (which is kind of dumb considering that they do different things in different ways.) Sad to hear that Everest has been all but discontinued too (come on, how many people are using the pro version? How many legally?)

BTW, I'm kind of curious, but, on the previous subject of defraggers, has anyone seen one for linux anywhere at all? It seems to me like the huge problem with defragging right now is that you can't run it from outside of windows and inside windows it has to constantly make adjustments for programs running all the time. And before anyone thinks to answer DOS defrag, MS replaced it with a tool that just simply tells you to run defrag from within windows. I can't use the 6.22 version because, well, obviously it doesn't support FAT32 (yeah, I use FAT32 for the sake of not having to go into a panic when I have OS troubles. It never occurs to MS that a filesystem which means you will be unable to access your harddrive if things go slightly wrong isn't a filesystem so much as a MISfilesystem... And I sure would love to know why the windows rescue console can't hardly do a darned thing beyond rewrite the MBR. I don't see how you could misuse it, it requires the admin password, and if you know that, you can do just as much damage from within windows.) I'm thinking a linux based defragger would run faster and more efficiently due to not having to run within windows, plus, I could run it from a live cd so the OS isn't even touching the harddrive (plus it'd just be a handy tool to have around.)

Oh, and yes, I'm aware that O&O has a linux version of their defrag, but, last I checked it only handled EXT2 and EXT3, and I don't even use those for my linux (ReiserFS seems to work best for my system overall.) Besides, that's commercial. No handling of any other filesystems when I last tried it.

deevine said:
I found this thread searching for alternative applications, so I was wondering if anybody knew of a (decent) binary newsreader to replace Newsleecher? I've tried xNews, but it's slow and the interface is terrible.

Grabit
http://www.shemes.com/

For simple GUI CD from ISO burning and for creating ISO files - ISO Recorder

It just hooks into the native API support built into Windows.

Another pretty good photoshop type software Paint.NET

AFAIK you cant have multiple files open in one instance of the program, but you can launch multiple instances of the program tho...

L1ght said:
Any free Windows XP theme changer program?

Thanks
Just google for a uxtheme patcher or get a replacement uxtheme.dll, that way you can run any Windows XP Theme for free.

Does anyone know of a good free windows download accelerator? All of the ones I've found are either shareware or so spyware riddled I can't stand it.

Glacian22 said:
Does anyone know of a good free windows download accelerator? All of the ones I've found are either shareware or so spyware riddled I can't stand it.
have you tried 'free download manager'

i love gimp, openoffice.org, nvu, firefox, thunderbird, and tons of other free software. but my favorite to date is vmware server. not open source, but most of us don't even look at the source code, nevermind alter it.

vmware server is the software that will enable me to ditch windows (on another hard drive or computer), AND allow me to run windows only apps. ive tried dvdshrink, dvd decrypter, and photoshop cs and cs2 so far, all work flawlessly.

When did they change over from commercial to freeware? Or, uh, DID they?

santaliqueur said:
vmware server is the software that will enable me to ditch windows (on another hard drive or computer), AND allow me to run windows only apps. ive tried dvdshrink, dvd decrypter, and photoshop cs and cs2 so far, all work flawlessly.

have you tried gaming?? i want to drop windows but i can't stand not gaming :(

Awesome!! i might rebuild a 400mhz gateway i have laying around to try out linux and that program. thanks again!

Riveninside said:
Awesome!! i might rebuild a 400mhz gateway i have laying around to try out linux and that program. thanks again!
Speaking of 400MHz machines...

http://www.geexbox.org/ - GeeXboX is an alternative to bloated things like Windows Media Center for HTPCs and such. The cool thing about it is really really low requirements. They say the minimum required for watching a DVD video is a 400MHz Pentium 2 or equivalent K6-2. They do support Hollywood+ and DXR3 though, so you might manage DVD playback on some pretty low end hardware if you found one of those. Anyway, I've managed to get some surprisingly high quality MPEG4 videos to play back smoothly on an old Pentium 2 233, so as an HTPC that software works pretty well (note that MPEG4 is easier to decode than MPEG2 and I would expect their stated minimum requirement is probably pretty accurate. I wouldn't go less than a P2-400 except with a DXR card for DVD playback.) Also, it supports a good number of remotes via LIRC. They probably most recommend the ATI Remote Wonder USB (and I second it as being pretty good at least.) And finally it supports a bunch of TV cards so you can even use it for that, though it seems a bit silly to use a computer to watch TV on your TV imo. d-: (No record functions yet.)

BTW, for gaming, you may wish to have a look at http://tuxgamers.altervista.org/Llgp/ - LLGP. It's a livecd with a ton of games stuffed onto it. Also, here's a list of some others: http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php?pick=All&showonly=Gaming&sort=&sm=1 Besides that, there was some kind of deal where a Gentoo live CD came with Unreal Tournament or some other game as well I think.

Hey, ive did a quick read through the thread to make sure i didnt repost something and im pretty sure i didnt find anything that i was looking for. Also I am stateing this before i do so because i am not sure if it is alowed but i was looking for a few programs or ideas on what i should do for this. I have some video files that are avi's which i am looking for a program to convert it to be able to burn to be played on a dvd player. Most of the things i found are too complicated, too many problems, or take forever to recode to be able to burn. Thanks

MPEG2 is VERY slow to encode. My San Diego oced to 2.5GHz does low-res NTSC (352x240) videos at only just slightly under realtime (eg a 20 minute video usually takes around 17 minutes or so, give or take.) High res should take longer to encode (sorry, I usually do low-res because it looks just as good on my portable but I can fit many more videos on one disc -- especially when I add an inverse pulldown to go down to 23.976 on the videos that can take it. I haven't tested high-res encoding much.) I hear Intels are very good at encoding, so maybe if you have a good P4 it might do better. Or, if you have an AMD that can go above 2.5GHz or a dual core (you have to use software that will actually multithread though, and even then I'm not really sure how well encoding can really split up to divide the work, so it may still not be that much faster.) What I usually use is tmpgenc, but, unfortunately, while the main program is free, MPEG2 encoding requires a license and the tmpgenc people elected to charge for it (using a 30-day shareware type thing for MPEG2 encoding. Bear in mind it's not entirely their fault since they do have to pay the fee just to have software that can encode it.) Most commonly I have seen people using the tool called bbMPEG (you can find this on doom9.net) for their MPEG2 encoding needs as it does not charge users for its MPEG2 encoding. Also on that site you will find a bunch of other programs and all-in-one style conversion tools for converting videos.

Here's a little tip. If you're really serious about encoding and have a processor like a Venice, you will see a huge jump in encoding speed just by going to a similarly clocked processor with twice the normal L2 (in this case, being Venice -> San Diego because Venice has 512KiB while San Diego has 1MiB.) If you have a Sempron (these have 1/2 or even some have 1/4 the normal L2,) I do strongly recommend an upgrade for much better encoding. Encoding is one of those few things where having more L2 will have a very noticable difference.

Back