[WARM] 3800+ X2's for $130 Shipped!

What is the diff between the 65W and theother one? Would this be a significant improvement over a Northwood 3.4 P4? Thanks.

wow, the 89watt is a great deal, you get Rainbow Six: Vegas free with it, which is a brand new kick ass game. I plan on getting it very soon.

Is northwood a single or dual core chip? Using the comparison numbers in sandra an a64x2 2gig should be about as fast as a p4d 3.4. With good air, the a64 should be able to get ~2.5gig or maybe more (mine was s939). Aside from the power consumption the only difference between the 65 and 89W chips is that the 65 is more likely to have a higher OC ceiling after you raise the core voltage, or alternately at stock speeds you can get away with a slower fan.

I'd probably get the Opty 165 for another $25, since it has larger cache, and may OC better.

BlackTigers91 said:
And is on a completely different socket....

Ah right - the AM2 Opty is $40 more, not sure that's worth it.

AM2 sucks - 939 performance at Conroe prices. :(

Umm really cold i believe. You can get E6300 for $50 more twice the performance.

Last time I checked I couldn't shove a conroe into my AM2 socket motherboard on my other machine.
rolleyes.gif

Isn't there a mobo that you could put an AMD and an Intel? I remember that! Did it ever see the light of day?

MC FLMJIG said:
Isn't there a mobo that you could put an AMD and an Intel? I remember that! Did it ever see the light of day?

yeah, it's called Socket 7 ....lol

except that was AMD or Intel

not too shabby of a price on these, i just wish drives would bottom out some more ;)

No it was an ECS called the PF88 Extreme Hybrid, it could take and pentium 4 and an AMD processor via the addon card.

ASUDevil83 said:
i think this thread was about the 3800x2 not the E6300... :rolleyes:

If one is buying a new MB, that would make sense. Anyone buying a new DDR2 MB would be nuts to buy AMD, but going from 939/AM2 to Core2 is much more expensive (esp given how expensive good Core 2 MBs seem to be).

nilepez said:
Anyone buying a new DDR2 MB would be nuts to buy AMD, but going from 939/AM2 to Core2 is much more expensive (esp given how expensive good Core 2 MBs seem to be).

Not exactly. A good AM2 motherboard is $60-70, while a good C2D motherboard (965 chipset) is more like $100. Then the cheapest C2D is $180, vs $80 for an AM2 Athlon.

So that's a $140 differential, which is a lot on a $400 PC. And a new 939 system is another $40-50 cheaper.

Personally I'd either build a new 939 system cheap, or I'd go C2D, cause AM2 is sort of in the middle ground, not cheap, but not high end either.

Back