Warm: Creative 3 piece speakers WOOT $25

gangolfus said:
I've never owned Creative brand speakers. Can anyone here vouch for them?
Yep

You get what you pay for....they are decent for the price. I bought a 100w 5.1 set for about $80 that I still use....and they sound good.

Let's say this: If you are pretty happy with a set of decent stock speakers in a car (this includes me)....you will be happy with these.

I don't have a home theater system, so I was thinking about getting these and attaching them to my DVD player to watch movies. Do you think they would do the job decently? It seems like a really good deal. The normal price seems to be ~$50.

gangolfus said:
I don't have a home theater system, so I was thinking about getting these and attaching them to my DVD player to watch movies. Do you think they would do the job decently? It seems like a really good deal. The normal price seems to be ~$50.
No.

gangolfus said:
Depends on your definition of "decently"

If you just want something that will sound clearer and add more bass than your TV has, then yes they will do the job.

If you want to rattle your room or experience the full surround sound, no they won't cut it.

jebo_4jc said:
Depends on your definition of "decently"

If you just want something that will sound clearer and add more bass than your TV has, then yes they will do the job.

If you want to rattle your room or experience the full surround sound, no they won't cut it.

Well obviously I don't expect any $25 solution to provide earth shaking, THX quality surround sound. I'm just looking for something that will sound better than the speakers built into the TV and last until I can afford a real receiver setup.

gangolfus said:
Well obviously I don't expect any $25 solution to provide earth shaking, THX quality surround sound. I'm just looking for something that will sound better than the speakers built into the TV and last until I can afford a real receiver setup.
IME, it takes much more $$ to exceed the quality of TV speakers.

gangolfus said:
I've never owned Creative brand speakers. Can anyone here vouch for them?

My one set has served me well. Basic Inspire 2.1 set.

gangolfus said:

That's what I'm doing with mine (actually, they're hooked to my DVR). Pro: It sounds good, and didn't cost much. Con: having to get up to adjust the volume, and since you don't have a receiver, it's harder to wire multiple sources into them (unless you buy some sort of audio-switcher or do cable splicing to wire multiple outputs to them). Cut-rate solution, but a lot cheaper than a receiver and high-end speakers. Far better quality than my 25" TV's stereo speakers.

I don't know if it's me, but I've had two 5.1 Inspire systems, first one had an issue where the volume randomly goes up, so I have to turn it down, then it suddently goes back down and I have to turn it back up. This was noticable enough to make things too loud.

At first I thought maybe the speakers were effected by a power problem I had with a failing USB hub. So I gave the speakers away to a friend at work, he said at first there was no problem but later I found out he has the same volume problem, he also had a creative card.

I bought some newer Inspire speakers, then they eventually had the same speaker volume problem. I'm now on a new computer with the speakers and they have the same problem. Plus, when trying to use the headphone jack on the controller, randomly it would just go back to the speakers, which is bad if you are playing loud at night to not disturb those that are sleeping and the chance if it suddently blasting away, which can sometimes be unoticable do to the headphones still working. You then get paranoid and have to check every now and then.

Was there something wrong with my old computer or something with my power outlets that could cause such a problem with two sets of speakers?

I'm not going to take anymore chances with Creative. But has anyone ever had this issue?

kumquat said:
IME, it takes much more $$ to exceed the quality of TV speakers.
Your TV's must have great speakers.

Any decent 2.1 set would far exceed any TV speakers I've ever heard.

TimothyB said:
I don't know if it's me, *snip* has anyone ever had this issue?
Nope. My Creative speakers had an analog volume knob.

jebo_4jc said:
Nope. My Creative speakers had an analog volume knob.

You mean the wired controller with the volume knob, bass controller, and sometimes headphone jack, both systems I had used that kind of controller, no digital control.

I even had problems where the volume would stay constant, even if the volume dial was at 0 and the only way to stop sound was to move it to off with the click.

I guess I had bad luck with my two, probably something was really wrong with my setup or power.

DarkSide50420 said:
good stuff but i want 5.1 :)

I would have bought it if it was 5.1 too. I have 2.1 speakers already Logitech X-230 they are pretty good and they were a gift (free is always better).

These are not my idea of TV quality speakers, but I doubt you will find TV speakers w/woofer for less than $100.

if you want quality sound get a Home Theater System like i have 7.1 Dolby all that jazz. i love it, shakes the house, neighbors house, and makes all dogs go nutz in a square block (depending on how loud i have it), or what im shooting :)

he he he :D

TimothyB said:
I guess I had bad luck with my two, probably something was really wrong with my setup or power.
No i have the same volume problem with my creative inspire T5400, mine doesn't seem to do it as bad as yours though. It uses the same sub and satellites as these woot speakers do, and i personally don't like them. I picked them up for some secondary gaming rig i have and couldn't be more sorry since they sound like crap imho and were a total waste of money for me. Veiled sound, bad bass, funky midrange, you name it.

The logitech X-230's and X-530's sound way better than the these particular creative's we're talking about. While that may be my opinion, in my mind it's a fact ;)

Sorry to bash what's otherwise probably a great deal. But i figured some of the fencesitters would appreciate the feedback, especially when the alternatives sound so much better for around the same price (imho ;))

I agree the X-530's are a great bargain set, I have those on my home PC. However, I haven't seen a recent deal on them (got mine through that Buy.com special, I think they were $30 or $40 with free shipping) and the cables are rather short for doing home theater stuff with them.

They work great for DivX and XViD movies and games on the PC though.

I also have the X-530's that I bought for $37 on a buy.com deal. They are definately the best computer speakers I have ever heard.

Back