warm/hot: newegg 1 day deal: 300gb 16mb 5yr sata $132

siliconcenturion

Limp Gawd
newegg has a 1 day deal on the maxtor Maxline III 300gb drive for 132 dollars
for those of you who havent been following the hard drive market religiously like me, this drive has native SATA w/ NCQ, 16mb cache, and a 5 year warranty. this drive is the Maxline model, which is supposed to be for reliable near-server setups
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144186
$132 - 44 cents per gigabyte
compare that to $123 for the 250gb model at zipzoomfly, or the identical 300gb model for $170.75
I just bought 4 for a nice 900gb raid5 array
i hope someone finds this useful besides me

Damn, a Maxline III, that's pretty nice. Too bad I couldn't take advantage of its NCQ capabilities. Though it'd be a nice addition - with 580 gigs of space, I can finally stop worrying about space.

siliconcenturion said:
newegg has a 1 day deal on the maxtor Maxline III 300gb drive for 132 dollars
for those of you who havent been following the hard drive market religiously like me, this drive has native SATA w/ NCQ, 16mb cache, and a 5 year warranty. this drive is the

I thought SATA was Never native SATA.. Its IDE then bridged to SATA..?
I thought SATAII (SATA 3.0Gb/s) was the Native SATA drive..?

haha.. heard this from a Raptor thread last week

Too bad I don't get paid til Thursday or I would have jumped on this. This is definately a good deal.

HDBox2d1 said:
I thought SATAII (SATA 3.0Gb/s) was the Native SATA drive..?

haha.. heard this from a Raptor thread last week
Not necessarily. Seagate's SATA-150 drives are native SATA, and many of them support NCQ. I am not aware of any bridged 3gbps SATA drives, although quite a few of them don't support NCQ.

The SATA-II/2.5/3G feature sets are a mix-and-match. If the feature you wnat isn't listed in the drive's marketing literature, it ptobably doesn't have it. Look closely before you buy.

HDBox2d1 said:

Actually, the seagate SATA drives have always been native. Only recently have the other manufacturers been creating native SATA drives also.

Am I missing something? They are still available are they not?

Hmm, I ordered two drives around 6:30PST, and I still got the $132 price. The page says the sale only lasts until 5:30PST.

My order is at step 3, BTW. :)

Still working at 8:03 PM EST ... I just placed an order for a total of 135.99 with FedEx Shipping 3-4 days.

- rajs

Kevlarman said:
Hmm, I ordered two drives around 6:30PST, and I still got the $132 price. The page says the sale only lasts until 5:30PST.

My order is at step 3, BTW. :)
The sale ends on 9/7/05, which is Wed.

This Maxtor is a great deal compared to what I've been on following on ZZF, which currently lists this HDD for $168.50.

My only concern about this HDD is that it's only 1.5 Gbps and not 3.0 Gbps. I'm thinking that by the end of the year, SATA II w/ 3.0 Gbps support will be available. Decisions, decisions ...

beowulf7 said:
The sale ends on 9/7/05, which is Wed.

This Maxtor is a great deal compared to what I've been on following on ZZF, which currently lists this HDD for $168.50.

My only concern about this HDD is that it's only 1.5 Gbps and not 3.0 Gbps. I'm thinking that by the end of the year, SATA II w/ 3.0 Gbps support will be available. Decisions, decisions ...

Am I wrong in thinking that the transfer rate of 1.5 will never be saturated by the drive? And if not, why the concern?

Lets just say 1.5 is still WAY more than it needs.

Nice that these are MaxLine and not DiamondMax.

Tiny said:
Am I wrong in thinking that the transfer rate of 1.5 will never be saturated by the drive? And if not, why the concern?
Yes, I've read that it's tough to even make a HDD go at 1.5 Gbps, but I like the headroom the 3.0 would have. I guess I'll just jump at this deal. I currently have a 300 GB ATA HDD that I will make it act as a clone so that I can do HDD-to-HDD copying (but not RAID them) to make a full backup (clone/Ghost) every so often.

ashmedai said:
Lets just say 1.5 is still WAY more than it needs.

Nice that these are MaxLine and not DiamondMax.

What is wrong with Diamond Max? I only ask since I was in a dire need (needed one that day ) of a new HDD and MicroCenter had the Maxtor DM 200gb SATA on sale.

Nothing wrong with DM compared to ML. Maxtor uses tighter tolerances and higher quality components in the MaxLine drives to justify marketing them as enterprise drives. They have the same firmware, platters, PCB etc.

Damn, ChiefValue does charge tax for NJ. :( (They also charge CA, PR, and TN residents as well.) But w/ the $5 coupon workingnonstop provided, it makes it a few dollars cheaper than Newegg, not to mention ChiefValue has a very good resellerrating.com rating (I think it's 9.38).

beowulf7 said:
Yes, I've read that it's tough to even make a HDD go at 1.5 Gbps, but I like the headroom the 3.0 would have.

I suspect the 3 Gbps -- is the SATA channel backplane speed per se ... for all devices combined on it ... of course I could be wrong here ... but one drive ain't going to eat all that up sustained or even peak burst periods. The speed I would suspect is for all devices on the same channel (cable) and the max Gbps for all combined together ... also if you plug in an older type device on that particular channel I think it drops the bandwitdh down to the lowest common denominator. i.e. like putting an old 33 MHz card into the same PCI bus with 66MHz cards ... they all are at 33MHz now unless you have differnt PCI buses (i.e. channels in my example for drives or cables) on your Mobo ...

I may well be wrong btw.

Maxtor has the crap short warranties on their retail drives, no matter the type.

But, they returned to the 3 or 5 year warranties on the OEM drives.

I would think the opposite would be better, but what do I know...

rajs said:
I suspect the 3 Gbps -- is the SATA channel backplane speed per se ... for all devices combined on it ... of course I could be wrong here ... but one drive ain't going to eat all that up sustained or even peak burst periods. The speed I would suspect is for all devices on the same channel (cable) and the max Gbps for all combined together ... also if you plug in an older type device on that particular channel I think it drops the bandwitdh down to the lowest common denominator. i.e. like putting an old 33 MHz card into the same PCI bus with 66MHz cards ... they all are at 33MHz now unless you have differnt PCI buses (i.e. channels in my example for drives or cables) on your Mobo ...

I may well be wrong btw.
3gbps transfer is available to each port. You are correct that no one drive can saturate a 3gbps link, but the SATA specs allow for port multipliers/single cable backplanes to attach four or more drives to a single SATA port, in which case 3gbps would come in handy. Sometime next year, there will be 6gbps SATA available.

I bought it, I'm replacing a single 80gig ata100 8mb drive, hopefully the 16mb and ncq will make a somewhat noticable difference. My OS is going ont he drive so I guess the fact that its a maxline sits a little easier with me

Bought 2 and was sorely tempted for a third to start a RAID 5 but RAID 1 will do fine for now. This was probably the hardest decision I've had to make regarding my PC. I was really tempted to drive over to Monarch and by the Western Digital WD400KD for $190 but there are no performance reviews at all and the RE version is $50 more. ANd the WD250KS is excellent but overpriced right now and I NEEDed a new drive and need to get a RAID going for my storage.

These are currently for what I can find the best drive at the best price on the net. 5 year warranty, excellent performance.

Top notch overall.

Now I just gotta pick a RAID card.

Decisions decisions.

Back