Warm? Klipsch Promedia 2.1 - $119.99+Tax at Best Buy

brennok

[H]ard|Gawd
I saw this in the Best Buy flyer this week and seems like a pretty good deal for a nice 2.1 setup for the PC.

Best Buy

I've had many sets of these speakers

for the price, they're wonderful

leaps and bounds better than logitech setups

I see an Unreal trend going here. Can I get a God-Like? :p

But really, I have a set of Logitech's but I typically use headsets. Still worth it?

MMMMMMonsterdeal deal deal.... deal...... :cool:

I'm so using my 10% off coupon on this.

I have the 4.1 surround of these, but mostly only use 2.1 (no good spot to put speakers behind me at the moment) And yes These are damn good speakers, had them for many years and they keep on ticking, havent had 1 of the 4 blow out or anything! : P

I've had many sets of these speakers

for the price, they're wonderful

leaps and bounds better than logitech setups

I'd say they are about the same, I've owned both. Kept the Logitech's because they better matched my equipment :p

Both are incredible

I see an Unreal trend going here. Can I get a God-Like? :p

But really, I have a set of Logitech's but I typically use headsets. Still worth it?

God-Like

too bad they don't have the 5.1s

did they ever upgraded these 2.1?

I've got a pair of these I got for $20 off someone in my apartment building a few years ago. He tripped over the cable one time (the volume dock cable that controls the volume/power) and yanked it out totally. Was going to toss 'em in the trash and I offered $20 for 'em because I knew I could get 'em working. Yes, people ask me why I didn't wait till he threw them away and just get 'em for free but, he'd come over on occasion and I'm sure he'd wonder if I dug 'em out so... besides, anyone that knows about these speakers KNOWS they're definitely an absolute steal for $20 given the simple repair I did. :D

I grabbed an old PS/2 keyboard, yanked out the cable, went to Klipsch's forums and found the pin-out of the DIN connector and replaced the cable in 30 minutes and wham, all done. 3 years later they still sit here on my desk providing me outstanding audio...

As for "God-like," no, they're not God-like.

They're fucking 2.1 Titans... and even Gods cowered in fear of the Titans... ;)

I just wish they would redesign them so they had a power switch on the speakers instead of down on the sub.

I have a set of my dad's that also went bad which I need to look and see what is wrong with them. I don't know if the cable, control pod, or the amp is bad.

been using them for years. once you try this set you are ruined for all the other "mainstream" sets. I can never buy anything else now.

God-Like

too bad they don't have the 5.1s

did they ever upgraded these 2.1?
nope. same ones. in fact, afaik, Klipsch stopped making the 5.1s, a true tragedy in PC audio.

These sets have been on the top of PC audio for what, 10-15 years now.

I just hope my 5.1s never break. Or if they do, that they can be fixed.

nope. same ones. in fact, afaik, Klipsch stopped making the 5.1s, a true tragedy in PC audio.

I would say about 10-11 years. I can remember when the only place to get these was at a high-end home audio dealer. Before Klipsch kinda bitched out and entered Best Buy.

I've had these for a long time (probably about 7+ years). I've upgraded my computer audio many times, however these are still OK and in use on a second PC. Weakest point is the volume control and the mini-DIN connector to the subwoofer (which powers the sats). I've been through two of the control pods ($30 from Klipsch) and the 'new' one (about 18 months old) is crackling again and has channel imbalance at low volumes, again. I had to resolder the DIN connectors myself. Headphone out is super-crappy, never use it - go straight to the sound card.

Bass from the subwoofer is good, and mids are OK. The wave guide tweeter is very directional and the soundstage moves in and out as you move your chair and move about (compared to say the Razer Mako). It's also quite harsh in the treble. There are much better speakers, but most cost more or don't have as good bass at this price point. The tradeoffs for this price point might be worth it to some. Also look at the Logitech and Creative options at this price point, AudioEngine is great, Swans are nice, etc.

I sold my perfectly working used set for like $50 on Craigslist, which I was lucky to get imo because they sat for weeks.

Take this for what it's worth.

I still have my OLD, original v.2 400's, still sound fine...Volume control is still scratchy though, despite numerous cleanings.

Had mine for 4-5 years now. Super clean audio and hard bass. Best pc 2.1 set. My bro had the 5.1 set and they are freaking insane. He ran them soo damn loud all the time! His pc was in the living room and i was in the garage and the door was rattling! He eventually overheated the amp from running too loud for hours at a time during long parties heh.

yeah been wanting them since college like 10 years ago
haha

I love my Klipsches. The mids are a bit muffled for male voices in movies, but that is my ONLY complaint. It's a non-issue with my HDTV, though, because the TV's speakers actually have great mid-range and they are configured to also be "on" along with the Klipsch 2.1's. Together they produce remarkably good sound...

That said, the Z-2300's are $109 shipped at Amazon right now. $10 cheaper and no tax...
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Z-2300-THX-Certified-Speaker-Subwoofer/dp/B0002SQ2P2

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The 10% off mover's coupon did not deduct from the price of the speakers in store. Upsetting :( Didn't buy.

Mine just crapped out on me last night. So I just ordered one for pick up.

I actually picked up a set a few years ago for $99.99, this deal is pretty good still.

Just picked a set up and man things have gotten worse. I have the first gen ones with the detachable speaker cables, heavy sub. High quality all around. I have the second gen ones where they went with nondetachable speaker cable but still the same sub with fuse box, on/off switch. And now this POS, no fuse in the sub, no power, and a tiny amp. This thing weighs half as much. I've returned it and have lost so much respect for a once proud line of desktop speakers.

Eying some swans :)

Just picked a set up and man things have gotten worse. I have the first gen ones with the detachable speaker cables, heavy sub. High quality all around. I have the second gen ones where they went with nondetachable speaker cable but still the same sub with fuse box, on/off switch. And now this POS, no fuse in the sub, no power, and a tiny amp. This thing weighs half as much. I've returned it and have lost so much respect for a once proud line of desktop speakers.

Eying some swans :)

That's sad to hear. Funny you should mention that because when I picked up the new box I noticed it was really light. My old sub was heavier than the entire new box.

Just an update, I just unpacked and installed the new set. It's definitely lower quality than my older set.
The sub is much lighter than the older sub. The speaker wires are hardwired into the satellites, which feel lighter and the knobs are now plastic instead of rubber. And again there the on/off switch is gone from the sub.

As far as sound goes, I can't really tell a difference. Highs have the typical bright sound of the Klipsch speakers. The bass is still very loud and sometimes boomy. And the mids are empty and lacking. Exact same profile as the older set. Then again I'm no audiophile.

I do have a feeling the sub won't fail as much due to the less bulky ps. The old sub tended to fail if you consistently left the speakers on. Still don't like the non detachable satts

New models have greater reliability, but much lower performance. :(

Good to know. I may pass on the new ones, but I figure I will check the local BBs to see if I can find an older set.

Do you guys recommend me replacing my Logitech G51 for these? It's 5.1 but due to my room setup, all of my speakers are in the front so im unable to take advantage of surround sound.

75% will be for music while 25% will be for gaming

should i pull the trigger on this?

This is a great set! Had mine forever until sold and bought a used 5.1 ultra. I still have it i think, with broken amp :( Have since moved on to AEs but still... price is hot

if you turn down the sub and have a good equalizer, then yeah you could probably balance it fine. it would take a little calibration. might be better off getting a pair of studio monitors for more accurate (yet flat) sound reproduction though

I wonder which is better for music on a x-fi music sound card: the Klipsch 2.1 or M-Audio Studiophile AV 40 Powered Speakers

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...uct?tag=slickdeals&prv=forums&cur=forums&ses=

Depends on what kind of music your listening to and how you like your sound. If you lisen critically, want precise high's and mid's with a shallow low end. i.e classical, acoustic then the M-Audio's. If you're into R&B, like Bass, watch movies, play games, then the Klipsch's.
Best of both worlds... the M-Audio's with a sub :p

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Depends on what kind of music your listening to and how you like your sound. If you lisen critically, want precise high's and mid's with a shallow low end. i.e classical, acoustic then the M-Audio's. If you're into R&B, like Bass, watch movies, play games, then the Klipsch's.
Best of both worlds... the M-Audio's with a sub :p
hmm. how would one go about using a standalone sub with PC speakers?

Back