Warm? Samsung A650 63" 1080P Plasma $2299 + FS

Was browsing TV's over 60" for a replacement in the living room and stumbled across this...

SAMSUNG 63" 1080p Plasma TV PN63A650

Cheapest I could find on the net was like $2600

Newegg has it for $2299.99 + FS

Personally I think that's a great price for a fantastic TV, a friend of mine has this same set, and we have a couple of the smaller 650's at work, amazing picture, great quality.

Untitled-4.png

Last edited:
Big TV! Love to have one, but my TV viewing room is not plasma friendly with all the windows we have.

Big TV! Love to have one, but my TV viewing room is not plasma friendly with all the windows we have.

That's the same reason I can't get one...the lighting during the day from the windows is blinding...our house is almost 115 years old, so we have those vaulted windows...they're huge lol

That's the same reason I can't get one...the lighting during the day from the windows is blinding...our house is almost 115 years old, so we have those vaulted windows...they're huge lol

What TV would you guys suggest for a room with a lot of windows? I was considering this TV due to it being a great deal, but I am in a similar situation. We currently have a 35" CRT, and it is difficult to see from certain angles during the afternoon.

What TV would you guys suggest for a room with a lot of windows? I was considering this TV due to it being a great deal, but I am in a similar situation. We currently have a 35" CRT, and it is difficult to see from certain angles during the afternoon.

I had* a 60" 1080p DLP from Mitsubishi, and it was great, even in the daytime, the picture was viewable, no reflection like off the glass of a plasma. My wife wanted something smaller, so I sold it, and bought a 42" LCD...now while it is a newer model, with an amazing picture, I hate the size difference. She does too now lol. So I am going to get to upgrade again soon, and put the 42" in the bedroom where it belongs :)

I might go DLP again, but from what I have been reading, it seems that only Mitsubishi and Samsung are making DLP's anymore, and who knows for how long. If I can find another deal like this when I am ready to buy, I may just have to make the switch.

I had* a 60" 1080p DLP from Mitsubishi, and it was great, even in the daytime, the picture was viewable, no reflection like off the glass of a plasma. My wife wanted something smaller, so I sold it, and bought a 42" LCD...now while it is a newer model, with an amazing picture, I hate the size difference. She does too now lol. So I am going to get to upgrade again soon, and put the 42" in the bedroom where it belongs :)

I might go DLP again, but from what I have been reading, it seems that only Mitsubishi and Samsung are making DLP's anymore, and who knows for how long. If I can find another deal like this when I am ready to buy, I may just have to make the switch.

Thanks for the input. I was originally consdiering a DLP too, especially some of the Samsung LED models released in the past year or two.

It may have just been the way it was set up at the store, but I found that DLPs have poor horizontal viewing angles. This is probably because DLP is a projection technology, but it seems that most Plasmas and LCDs seem to be better in this regard.

I may have to take a look at some of the latest sets, but then again, they are getting harder to find since they will soon be out of production.

LCD is your best bet if you have a lot of windows...

Going from a rear-projection to LCD was huge in our house... can actually watch TV now :D

But we paid the same price for a Sony 52" 120hz... around $2000+ but that was 6 months ago...

If you're looking for an opinion/suggestion on a new TV, I recently purchased a Vizio 55" LCD and couldn't be happier. Both Sam's Club and Costco carry it - the advantage being you can return it if you're unhappy with dead pixels (good luck getting NewEgg to return an LCD TV with a dead pixel or two!)

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=422793

I picked mine up at Costco, paid $1800 not very long ago. I see they're down to $1547 at Sam's now. Mine didn't have any dead pixels, so I was a happy camper. Yes, there are bigger & fancier TVs around, but I think this is the sweet spot on value.

i ended up buying a samsung with a matte display. the matte displays are polarized so they don't reflect the ambient light. there are slight drawbacks to a matte display, or so some say. in real world use i can't see any negatives that would make me go glossy and lose the use of my display during the day.

I have a lot of windows in my front room (enought that there is no room to hang a picture on the wall), no space between windows, and a plasma works fine for me.

I have the pn58a550 plasma which I paid around 2600 bucks over a year ago. I have tons of windows in my living room / kitchen area that gets gets of light. Im plenty happy with my plasma. I even have the swivel mount for it above my fire place and swing it towards the kitchen in the mornings when eating breakfast. The sun is rising behind me and the TV stills looks bright and crisp...

Most new plasma models aren't plagued by lots of light like they used to be. Like others have said, I use my plasma in my living room, with lots of ambient daytime light, and I have zero problems with it, actually prefer it the LCD in the gaming room.

I have a panosonic plasma tv and it's fine in the light, even bright light. If the sun is directly on the tv i think any tv is hard to see, our old tube tv you couldn't see anything on in direct on sunlight. Just the darks get a little washed out, so if you watch a movie with a lot of blacks you'll be able to tell otherwise you should be fine no problems.

Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys. It looks like any non-projection technology will fare better with lots of ambient light.

God I want...super hot deal....literally too, the thing uses like 600w of power..

Can anyone comment on whether these newer plasmas are vulnerable to burn-in at all? Or is that a thing of the past? (thinking for games, HTPC use, channels with stupid logos, etc)

Last edited:
The one thing that worries me is the warnings by a couple of users on Amazon and Newegg about the "Pink tint" problem.

I asked my wife if I could sell my 56" Samsung DLP and buy this.... I might have some more convincing to do. If the pink tint isn't a problem, I'd jump all over this!

That's a pretty good deal. I think the closest set I've seen is a 58" Sammy for $1900 (Plasma) and a 55" Vizio for $1700.

I have a 50" 720P Plasma Sammy and a 40" 1080P LCD Sammy, both have been good. They make good TV's. Granted, some have their flaws - but most products do.

It is a thing of the past. All the major rumored negatives about plasmas are ancient history. Better picture quality than LCDs by a mile - billions of colors vs 16.7 million colors. Except for the power usage - they do like their power!

If you want decent black levels, though, get a Panasonic or Pioneer. Here's a review of a newer model: http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/samsung-pn63a760/4505-6482_7-33182093.html?tag=mncol;txt

Thanks! I've never been overly impressed with LCD TVs.... though I admittedly haven't looked that closely since I bought my DLP almost three years ago.

But yes the biggest thing for me is black level; I'd like 1080p for a better HTPC desktop resolution, though the PQ of my tv in movies vs. friend's 1080p sets doesn't really bother me. The only thing I really wish was better are the black levels; with all the lights out in a room watching a movie, it drives me nuts that the blacks aren't BLACK.

There was a 72 inch samsung dlp recently for like 1800 . DLP rules price wise.

Was looking at this for two days, in the end, couldn't justify $2300 for a "TV" even if it was a killer deal. I have the money, but just thinking 1/5 the price of a new compact car... for a TV? Couldn't do it.
Wanted to write something about the Newegg reviews with the pink tint... it's only really noticeable if you have an all white screen... who watches the service menu ffs? Normal viewing yes, it's there, but you have to watch a movie in the snow or something to see it, even then, it's not so bad. I swear people bitch about anything.

Example: "ZOMG, 3 menus deep in the service menu it has a glitch, ZOMG JUNK!" ...pffft

Was looking at this for two days, in the end, couldn't justify $2300 for a "TV" even if it was a killer deal. I have the money, but just thinking 1/5 the price of a new compact car... for a TV? Couldn't do it.

Have you ever owned a big TV though? I remember being the same way about computer monitors... when I bought my 24" lcd for about 8x the cost of any other monitor I'd ever bought I thought I was insane... but now, years later, I view it as the #1 purchase I've ever made for enjoying my PC experience :)

Same thing with my TV; from watching movies, to games, to even just casual TV watching, it makes the experience 1000x more enjoyable.

Plus you really do get several years out of a good TV purchase, so the cost isn't as bad when you consider how long you'll be using it for.

The only downside is going to other people's houses and being incredibly dissatisfied with tiny displays! :p

If you're looking for an opinion/suggestion on a new TV, I recently purchased a Vizio 55" LCD and couldn't be happier. Both Sam's Club and Costco carry it - the advantage being you can return it if you're unhappy with dead pixels (good luck getting NewEgg to return an LCD TV with a dead pixel or two!)

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=422793

I picked mine up at Costco, paid $1800 not very long ago. I see they're down to $1547 at Sam's now. Mine didn't have any dead pixels, so I was a happy camper. Yes, there are bigger & fancier TVs around, but I think this is the sweet spot on value.
Vizio is coming out w/ some new screens within the next month or two. The XVT series is going LED and 240Hz, so should offer some incredibly priced competition for other LED offerings.

http://ces.cnet.com/8301-19167_1-10133231-100.html

Have you ever owned a big TV though? I remember being the same way about computer monitors... when I bought my 24" lcd for about 8x the cost of any other monitor I'd ever bought I thought I was insane... but now, years later, I view it as the #1 purchase I've ever made for enjoying my PC experience :)

Same thing with my TV; from watching movies, to games, to even just casual TV watching, it makes the experience 1000x more enjoyable.

Plus you really do get several years out of a good TV purchase, so the cost isn't as bad when you consider how long you'll be using it for.

The only downside is going to other people's houses and being incredibly dissatisfied with tiny displays! :p

Yeah I got a 47" about two years ago for a grand... it's not uber, but it does the job. 63" of goodness is what was pulling me... maybe when a model or two away and when I can grab one for $1500 tops. Also, paid $200 for my 24", so I guess I'm just a cheap bastard.

Back