Watch This Laser Weapon Take Down Boats

That's awesome!

When are they going to make smaller versions, to take down small people, in my backyard, when I'm not home? :p

That's super awesome, a laser can burn a hole in a boat that isn't moving at all... :|

Seriously they started with a boat that was zipping around, showing different sides, then the "proof of concept" part has a boat that's just sitting there not moving anymore.

I want one mounted in my front yard for the neighborhood cats that think my gardens are their personal toilet :D

That's super awesome, a laser can burn a hole in a boat that isn't moving at all... :|

Seriously they started with a boat that was zipping around, showing different sides, then the "proof of concept" part has a boat that's just sitting there not moving anymore.

Classified?

Hold still! I'm firing my laser. Just a few more minutes until I pop your boat. Hold on... Just a bit longer.

Thanks for your patience!

While it's cool, it's slow. I want to see a Super High Energy laser nail a boat and take out the hull in under a second. Just fire and WHOOF! It's a hole in the hull. Definitely have a dial on the power setting, though.

Yeah, this is pretty lame. Reminds me of trying to pop a balloon with a laser that's not quite strong enough. Maybe if they just color in a black dot on it...but no, the boat was already black. Makes you wonder if it would even work on a white or reflective hull.

I'm very good yelling at my opponents when I'm playing BF4.

"Stand still so I can shoot you!" I have a 100% kill ratio when they listen to me.

Exciting new ways to spend gigantic amounts of money for weapons that can almost do things that 100 year old weapons can do.

This is fucking stupid, and the people who fund this should be forced to work in a Chinese coal mine.

Hold still! I'm firing my laser. Just a few more minutes until I pop your boat. Hold on... Just a bit longer.

Thanks for your patience!

While it's cool, it's slow. I want to see a Super High Energy laser nail a boat and take out the hull in under a second. Just fire and WHOOF! It's a hole in the hull. Definitely have a dial on the power setting, though.

and it needs a big red button to push when you're going to obliterate something!

Exciting new ways to spend gigantic amounts of money for weapons that can almost do things that 100 year old weapons can do.

This is fucking stupid, and the people who fund this should be forced to work in a Chinese coal mine.

WE fund this...LOL I do not wish to work in a coal mine of any sort sir!

a new way to kill with less risk, AND a new big big chunk of taxpayer dollars going into r&d and deployment. And those worrisome cost overruns? Don't even think about it. After watching six decades of waste on weaponry, not to mention the expensive nuts and bolts, all the death and the lapel pin patriotism, I'm ready to vomit, hopefully over some public self servant.

Yeah, I'm not sure I'm a big fan of laser weapons.
Sounds like asking for a war where every combat veteran comes home blind. All the enemy needs is a disco ball defense.

Taking several minutes just to puncture a hole in a small rubber boat is not particularly impressive. More like the equivalent of someone playing around burning stuff with a super large magnifying glass.

Sounds like asking for a war where every combat veteran comes home blind. All the enemy needs is a disco ball defense.

Soldiers will just use VR goggles. There was just the story the other day about Norwegian tank crews using Oculus Rift. Hit by a laser reflection, just replace the cameras.

I won't be impressed with directed energy weapons until they carry enough fire power to make shit happen really fast. I want sci-fi level shit where the beam blows a hole though shit near instantaneously.

Smoke will do it. But no one has ever used smoke during war before.

Rail guns are much better. Sending a projectile at some mach 7+ to punch a hole in the hull with the concussion blast blowing away the enemy.

That was really lack luster, where be the Explosions? It's completely lacking the psychological terror that big noises and exploding things cause. I guess it's cool, but it just seems so bland...

This would work good on the pirates of Somalia if it can burn though Metal?

That task would have been achieved much faster, easyer and cheaper by placing one bullet to the boat.

pretty sure we have guns that could have done the job more effectively...hopefully this is just the version they were willing to show to us and the real deal is more impressive.

Not very exciting. It is a test done in ideal conditions burning through the hull of a rubber dingy. It took far too long for it to be effective.

i was hoping for explosions and pew pew sounds.. but oh well.. maybe in a few more years

+1 to the pew pew guns, but until then i may invest in a company that produces reflective paint

Here in Canada were working on an angry Beaver gun, about the same level of effectiveness. Those beavers are unstoppable against inflated boats!

Back