Watchguard Firebox Bandwidth meetering.

bigstusexy

2[H]4U
Hello,

I'm poking around my watchguard because... well it was going to take me 25 minutes to download the latest firefox! Come to find out our bandwidth is gone... again. During these times I really want to see what my users are spending it on but hostwatch is no help.

Anyone know how to get a list of download rate by IP from the firebox? The numbers in hostwatch are not equaling the numbers in the bandwidth meter at all!

Watchguard Firebox x1250X running 11.1 I believe.

I would have your ISP run a bandwidth report first.

Second you can use some sniffers like wireshark, fireplotter and such to get an idea based off IP, or if you have managed switches you may be able to look from there

I'm not sure the ISP would be able to tell anything, my firebox is doing the natting for all the building so it should look like all traffic is coming from a single source.

I'm not quite sure the monitored switch port would work either.

Cisco router (ICNs, no access)
FIrebox
Cisco router
| |
Local network WAN to 13 buildings.

I know there is a cisco product for bandwidth monitoring but its a product and unless I can show why I need it and hope there are funds in the budget... its never going to happen.

I was just hopeing the firebox could do it in real time or in report format for say like last 5 mintues or something. Like I said the numbers in hostwatch don't add up to the use shown in the bandwidth meter. Sometimes I can get results from our content filter but its reports aren't always accurate so close to the situation and it only counts web and ftp traffic

Now that I think about it I think we do run a segmented switch I could scan on and one of the suggestions was ntop, I can look into it but this project would have to wait till after the VOIP project is done.

Back