Water Chiller Design

gclg2000

Gawd
I made this for someone who asked me too. Anyone else please comment if they have other designs and anything to help out people curious or interested in building a system.

Chiller_Blueprint.jpg

I forgot all about chillers, my dad is in the HVAC business and I am very familiar with how they work. They do keep the water very cold. Realyl great if you dont want to have to run refrigerant pipes into your case, I suppose. Maybe someday... when I get water cooling ill give this a try. :)

I'd like to try out (one day) a water chiller setup in an "automatic" style. Submerge the condensor in the reservoir at the same time. I bet the heat load would eventually hurt the compressor though.

gclg2000 said:
I'd like to try out (one day) a water chiller setup in an "automatic" style. Submerge the condensor in the reservoir at the same time. I bet the heat load would eventually hurt the compressor though.

Think about it, that's like trying to create energy, or build a perpetual motion machine.

woops...didn't know i was building a perpetual motion machine. :rolleyes:

You would have to have some type of cascade to do what i was saying, or an autocascade chiller.

gclg2000 said:
woops...didn't know i was building a perpetual motion machine. :rolleyes:

You would have to have some type of cascade to do what i was saying, or an autocascade chiller.

Ah, well phase change systems don't really add much heat of their own to the fluid, right? Most of the work goes into actually changing the phase to liquid. So the first loop shouldn't really be dumping much more heat into the second loop than it would normally be dealing with.

I thought you were saying you wanted to put both the evaporator and condenser of the same system into a reservoir, thereby having the whole thing cooling itself while still adding energy by doing so.... can't you see how this is akin to perpetual motion theory?

i've been doing ALOT of reading on this subject lately, and submerging the evap in a reservoir is old news. If you look around, running a tube in a tube, heat exchanger type desing, where the fluid flows thru a tube containing the evap tube seems to be the hot setup.

actually there already is a perpetual motion machine...it looks like a fan with the blades but in the blades there are ball bearings and so when one bearing goes down it makes the beaing on the opposite side go up and so on...hence perpetual motion

Dankimus said:
i've been doing ALOT of reading on this subject lately, and submerging the evap in a reservoir is old news. If you look around, running a tube in a tube, heat exchanger type desing, where the fluid flows thru a tube containing the evap tube seems to be the hot setup.

Your describing the Heat exchanger on cascade cooling equipment. And yes, this is used all the time on PC coolers

Soldier Prime said:
actually there already is a perpetual motion machine...it looks like a fan with the blades but in the blades there are ball bearings and so when one bearing goes down it makes the beaing on the opposite side go up and so on...hence perpetual motion

I'd like to see that... got any links/proof?

Back