water cooling build, moderate budget

cheezies

[H]ard|Gawd
It's been a while since my last water cooled rig (used Koolance EXOS system on a AMD 2500+), I recall failing leak testing several times before eventually giving up. Now I'm at again and I was hoping you guys could help me out with my part selection. :)

I'm trying to hit 5.0 GHz (currently stable @ 4.8 GHz using a Silver Arrow SB-E) with a 2600K and 1 GHz on a pair of GTX 580 (ASUS Matrix Platinum, currently stable at 900 @ 1.1v). I would like to keep things simple with a single loop and pump.

Here is my current list of parts. My budget is approx. $800 for the water cooling components. Where possible, I would like to stick with parts that can be re-used when I upgrade (e.g. universal GPU blocks).

Inside a NZXT Switch 810 case ...

EK-VGA Supreme HF Bridge Edition Universal GPU Block - Acetal
EK-FC Bridge DUAL 3-SLOT GPU Serial SLI/Crossfire OptionEK-FC Bridge
RayStorm CPU WaterBlock
Slim High Density Single 140mm Radiator XSPC EX140
Slim High Density Triple 140mm Radiator XSPC EX420S
Slim High Density Dual 140mm Radiator XSPC EX280S
EK-D5 X-RES 140 X2 - Acetal D5 Top-Reservoir Combo
DazMode STORM D5 VARIO 8-24V Pump

Some questions
- I haven't been able to find too many 120mm vs 140mm radiator comparisons, is it a good idea to go with 140mm radiators even though 120mm provides the best options for fans? Does XSPC
- The only other water block that bests the Raystorm in performance appears to be the new Apogee HD, but according to Martin's review it is a bit more restrictive. Am I correct that this would hurt performance when the water reaches my GPUs?

Last edited:
Back