1) Silverstone TJ-08 MATX tower Case
2) Biostar TForce6100-939 Motherboard
3) XFX 7900GT Extreme Video Card
4) A Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS
5) Belkin Pre-N Desktop Card
6) Seasonic 430 Watt Power Supply

My problem is this :

A) The system seems quite loud primarily the video card
B) The video card temps are really high (62 degrees) at idle and I am worried about the card itself and the other two immediately below it

In light of the above I want to try watercooling the CPU and GPU primarily the GPU though. I have never done anything like this before and have been looking around this forum for answers. I have the following constraints on any setup :

I) The system should be quiet.
II) The GPU water block has to be single slot given the other cards in the system
III) The pump sub-system has to turn on when I push the power button (hence I imagine a 12V pump is in order). ( Can the PS above power this ?)
IV) The entire system should be housed in the case (silverstone TJ-08)

Is all this possible on a $100-$150 budget ?

Any advice / suggestions most welcome.

Best Regards,
Caspanis

The tricky part is choosing were to put the rads. The TJ08 has 2 120mm fans, no? you could put a BIP on each. For the Pump, I would get the DDC. Its a small, 12 volt pump. And then get a Swiftech MicroRes, and some 3/8 tygon tubing. So the parts list looks like this:

2 BIP's Radiators
Danger Den DDC Pump
Swiftech Microres
Swiftech Storm WaterBlock
Danger Den Maze 4 GPU WaterBlock
Tygon 3/8 ID Tubing

Try these sites for the parts:

www.dangerden.com
www.performance-pcs.com
www.petrastechshop.com

L1ght said:
The tricky part is choosing were to put the rads. The TJ08 has 2 120mm fans, no? you could put a BIP on each. For the Pump, I would get the DDC. Its a small, 12 volt pump. And then get a Swiftech MicroRes, and some 3/8 tygon tubing. So the parts list looks like this:

2 BIP's Radiators
Danger Den DDC Pump
Swiftech Microres
Swiftech Storm WaterBlock
Danger Den Maze 4 GPU WaterBlock
Tygon 3/8 ID Tubing

Try these sites for the parts:

www.dangerden.com
www.performance-pcs.com
www.petrastechshop.com

Thanks for the feedback ! The acronyms got me at first (BIP = Black ICE Pro right ?). Again a couple of questions:

1) Is the Danger Den Maze 4 GPU waterblock a single slot solution ?
2) Why two BIP radiators ? And can They be mounted inside the case ?
3) Will the DDC motor fit with the Swiftech microres ?

Thanks in advance for all answers/comments/ advice !

Cheers,
Caspanis

caspanis said:
Thanks for the feedback ! The acronyms got me at first (BIP = Black ICE Pro right ?). Again a couple of questions:

1) Is the Danger Den Maze 4 GPU waterblock a single slot solution ?
2) Why two BIP radiators ? And can They be mounted inside the case ?
3) Will the DDC motor fit with the Swiftech microres ?

Thanks in advance for all answers/comments/ advice !

Cheers,
Caspanis

1. Nope. I run the low profile versions and they're 2 slot.
2. Because 1x120mm rad is ok for just a CPU, but you'll want a 2x120mm rad for a CPU + GPU, but since you probably won't have room for a 2x120mm rad, you could do 2 separate 1x120mm rads.
3. I didn't check, but it probably comes in 3/8" or you can use reducers to go from 1/2" to 3/8". So either way it'll work. The res comes with 1/2" and 3/8" barbs (I use the micro-res).

Might want to note...this is going to cost over $150.

Volkum said:
1. Nope. I run the low profile versions and they're 2 slot.
2. Because 1x120mm rad is ok for just a CPU, but you'll want a 2x120mm rad for a CPU + GPU, but since you probably won't have room for a 2x120mm rad, you could do 2 separate 1x120mm rads.
3. I didn't check, but it probably comes in 3/8" or you can use reducers to go from 1/2" to 3/8". So either way it'll work. The res comes with 1/2" and 3/8" barbs (I use the micro-res).

Might want to note...this is going to cost over $150.

I figured that it would given the prices I saw on the web. Maybe I need to readjust for now and tackle my chief offender which I think is the GPU. With that I could use 1 radiator and reduce costs it make it simpler given that I'm a first timer.

For the GPU block I guess I'll have to use the
Koolance VID-200-L06 (Vid) as it is the only single slot block I've seen.

So now I have :

1 BIP's Radiators
Danger Den DDC Pump
Swiftech Microres
Koolance VID-200-L06 (Vid)
Tygon 3/8 ID Tubing

Opinions ?

Caspanis.

Looks good to me.

What fluid are you gonna fill it with? There are a few non conductive fluids that would work, or you could use 90% Distalled Water and 10% Anti freeze.

EDIT: Velcro works good for attaching the pump and res.

The setup looks fine, but as a possible alternative, you should know that Koolance is not the only single-slot GPU block maker. Aqua Computer does also make them, albeit for a higher cost (which I know is your main issue).

L1ght said:
Looks good to me.

What fluid are you gonna fill it with? There are a few non conductive fluids that would work, or you could use 90% Distalled Water and 10% Anti freeze.

EDIT: Velcro works good for attaching the pump and res.

L1ght ,

Thanks for your feedback so far ! I have one other problem which is caused by my Location (Jamaica W.I.) , I may not be able to get some of the cooling liquids as readily as I'd like :( . You said I could use water (distilled) and anti-freeze , question: Why anti-freeze , I'm in the tropics ?

Also wouldn't I need another additive to inhibit algae growth ?

Keep those comments comin' guys :D

Best Regards,
Caspanis

Hi Again,

In a desperate bid to further reduce costs can I not use a reservoir ? I have read in these forums that some don't they just use a T junction with a closed tube to act as a filler.

Regards,
Caspanis

caspanis said:
Hi Again,

In a desperate bid to further reduce costs can I not use a reservoir ? I have read in these forums that some don't they just use a T junction with a closed tube to act as a filler.

Regards,
Caspanis

You could use a t-line. The micro-res is only like $15 though. Instead you'd have to buy a T piece and a fillport. Probably save you like $6-7.

caspanis said:
You said I could use water (distilled) and anti-freeze , question: Why anti-freeze , I'm in the tropics ?

Also wouldn't I need another additive to inhibit algae growth ?

You answered your own question sort of... The anti-freeze should prevent algae growth.

caspanis said:
Hi Again,

In a desperate bid to further reduce costs
I think the easiest way to reduce costs is to get a cheaper GPU Water block. Is there any way to free up just 1 pci slot?

L1ght said:
I think the easiest way to reduce costs is to get a cheaper GPU Water block. Is there any way to free up just 1 pci slot?

I have been thinking the same thing. I have the wireless card which is really a PCMCIA card with a PCI adapter then there's the Audigy sound card both are very important. The only option would be to get some kind of external adapter for the network card but I've looked and haven't turned up anything yet.

Regards,
Caspanis

Whats so special about it?

Couldnt you just get a normal wireless ethernet adapotor?

Back