WC Rig (in progress), seeking advice

Neslepax

[H]ard|Gawd
As the title says, I'm seeking some advice (or general suggestions) about my WC setup. As embarrassing as it is, I will start with my (crap) history with water cooling.

I purchased an Exos-2, TDX water block for my 939 FX-57, and NV-68 for my old 6800 Ultra. I bought all these parts when they were flagship, and with such an investment came a real hesitation to void my warranties. Therefore, I shelved everything for years (until this week). Shortly after I purchased all those parts, I bought dual BFG 7800GTX's, which further pushed me into the "fear WC" corner. At this point, all my parts are extremely cheap to place if damaged, so I decided to finally take the WC leap. I bought a DD Koosah SLi for my gfx cards, and jumped into installing everything earlier in the week. Everything was going as planned, until I began to bleed the system.

Apparently, doing some preliminary research would have prepared me for the fact that AIW external WC kits are extremely risky, and a PITA to upgrade or repair. I was just lazy and wanted a quick solution, and the Exos-2 seemed like a good idea at the time. However, after a few minutes of bleeding, the pumps began to make a very loud whine, and then stopped working entirely. Apparently they are too weak for the system, or sat around on the shelf too long, or faulty, etc. Anyways, I have no interest in ever going AIW again.

After reading a lot of forum threads (here and at XtremeSystems), I've compiled a list of WC components and I would appreciate any advice you can provide on better options/upgrade choices.

[before you ask, I know that 7800s and FX-57s are dated, so why the heck would I want to spend money WCing them when I could just buy a new proc and gfx cards? i tend to purchase flagship parts, so I would rather have my first experience with obsolete parts I can risk destroying, rather than frying 8800 Ultras and a Core2 Extreme] ;)

WC Parts List:

(already have DD Koosah installed on gfx cards)
Processor - AquaXtreme MP-05 SP
Radiator - Swiftech MCR-320
Pump - Laing D5 Basic/Swiftech MCP655-B
Tubing - 7/16" ID (5/8" OD) Tygon R-3603
Reservoir - Swiftech MCRES-MICRO
Fans (for reservoir) - 120mm Yate Loon D12SH-12

I'll probably be doing a loop of Pump>Radiator>Processor>GFX>GFX>Reservoir>Pump. I am wondering whether I should have my fans push or pull air into the radiator? Is there any significant difference? Would it matter if I had 3 YLs pushing on one side, and 3 more pulling on the other?

BTW, all this is going into a Tt Armor+ (black). Yes, I've read all the "Tt sux, the plastic top sux, OMG life would be better without Tt" threads. However, I love the case. So there. =P

Thx for your suggestions!

I'll probably be doing a loop of Pump>Radiator>Processor>GFX>GFX>Reservoir>Pump. I am wondering whether I should have my fans push or pull air into the radiator? Is there any significant difference? Would it matter if I had 3 YLs pushing on one side, and 3 more pulling on the other?
Generally, Pulling is quieter, and both are just about exactly the same performance wise. Yes, push-pull will give slightly better temps, at the cost of 3 more fans' worth of price and noise (I'd highly recommend trying Yate Loon D12SM's, great performance but they'll undervolt very nicely if/when you start to get the quiet bug).

Otherwise, everything looks good, although unless you already bought the Tygon. Masterkleer works just the same unless you have some incredibly tight tubing runs, but for 1/6 of the cost. With those components, you'll be fine.

Looks good to me. My only comment.... Think about a drain port. Like Danger Den sells. ) I also like variable speed fans like the Silverstone.

Back