WC the 650i SLI?

ShiningHolden

Limp Gawd
Hello.
I had a Gigabyte P965-DS3.
Had. :)
A tube slipped, some water spilt, the board is dead.

I am now running a ASUS P5N-E SLI.
Everything is, okay.
I haven't experienced anything too major.
I have flashed to the latest BIOs, 0505.

I am experiencing random lock ups, and restarts.
I am guessing, due to the freaking hot as balls to the touch northbridge?

My RAM, 2GB of DDR2-800 G-Skill, is at 2.013v, and kind of hot, but, that's RAM.
My CPU, Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 is at 1.325, 266x7, is at 34c on core 0 and 31c on core 1, on a D-TeK FuZion block.
My GPU, eVGA GeForce 8800GTS is at 500/800, is at 38c.

This board is untouched.
I am thinking it is the northbridge, because, due to my watercooled setup, there are no fans giving it any air what so ever, and, it is blazing to the touch.

Also, the south bridge has no heat sink.

I am willing to spend some money to cool both the north and south bridge. :)
Is there a block anyone can link me to?
Is this necessary?

I have the same board and I've been able to get some modest OC on it without NB cooling. I was purchasing some water cooling things from FrozenCPU and thought that I would get this heatsink for the NB. I figured 7 bucks to get it cool for now, what the hell?

It works wonders. I've been able to push the processor (Intel E6600) from 2.6GHz to about 3GHz now. The only thing is that the heatsink will interfere with a second video card. I was running 2x 7600GT's for a while (long story) and I was able to fit the edge of the second card between the fins. But it worked. The heatsink covers the whole NB and if you can get airflow over it, then it works great.

I'm on a single 7900GS right now while I save up for a 8800GTS (or maybe a 2900XT - should be out by the time I have the money) and a water block for it to put into the water cooling loop I'm building (gotta get past 3GHz on the processor). Much better since there is no second card interferring with the NB heatsink. Then I can either replace with a waterblock or just keep it like it is.

I only wish that I got the black version of the heatsink rather than the shiny silver (although it's still pretty cool looking).

Back