WD 1TB Black - $60 @ BB

how do you know if its the old or new version... what are the performance differences???

It looks like a good deal to me, what do you guys think?

This looks like the retail version of WD1001FALS

Yeah, I bought one myself on Wednesday. I didnt know or forgot there were 3 platter versions. Its not like it makes it bad or anything, but id rather have the 2 platter myself.

The trick here is, its kind of hard to tell if its the 3 platter or 2 platter. Heres a guide that lists them all. According to this, the FALS can still be 2 platter if its one of those three specific model numbers.

http://rml527.blogspot.com/2010/10/hdd-platter-database-western-digital-35.html

I kinda find it hard to believe that theres still the older 3 platter versions out there still. I am going to hope its the 2 platter version, but if its the 3 platter, I will either be pawning it off on ebay or returning it to the store.

Last edited:
my local bestbuy has these in stock. I might pick one up. By the way I doubt there is that much of a difference between 2 or 3 platter design. Just placed the order.

Last edited:
my bestbuy has like 20+ left... also have a few of the seagate 2tb usb 3.0 externals for $89 left too

(ft myers florida)

Whats the difference between a 2 and 3 platter? If its just performance Ill bite on one cause my 320 is getting full. I dont mind waiting a few seconds longer for my games to load.

Or is it reliability and/or long term life expectancy?

**edit**

Nevermind. Just checked and there isn't one in stock for over 100 miles. Dammit! First I miss the GTX470 for $180, now this. This has been a lousy Black Friday. :mad:

Last edited:
2 platters may increase reliability, since there are less mechanical parts than in a 3 platter drive. The drive might also run cooler, and denser platters are typically a bit faster.

Bought one up there today purely by chance. $60 for a 1TB secondary drive, not much to think about there.

picked one up in san diego, probably will open it by monday, if i don't find a better deal

That 1.5 TB is a .11 series drive. HELL no. That's something I almost never say, but I'm saying it now.

I'm not familiar with the series .11, what's wrong with it? (I'm assuming either a high failure rate or a slow seek time?)

I'm not familiar with the series .11, what's wrong with it? (I'm assuming either a high failure rate or a slow seek time?)

that was the series with fimrware issues and random pause and freezing issues. Newegg has a notice on their website when you look up the drive at their site.

The "firmware update" is a ploy to hide the ridiculously high rate of failure for all 7200.11 series drives. They have so many problems I stopped counting a long time ago. Countless critical design and manufacturing flaws.

I got one today and it was a three platter model. Not bad since all the two patter models are 64mb cache and 90 dollars on newegg.

They weren't exactly flying off the shelves either, they had around 20 or so still left. So much for getting rid of their stock eh? hehe

Actually this is the breakdown:

WD1001FALS-00U9B0/00E3A0/00Y6A0 1TB (32MB cach, SATA-300 Interface) (2/4)

WD1001FALS-00J7B0/00J7B1/00K1B0/00E8B0 (334GB/platter) 1TB (3/6)

Both FALS, have 32 mb cache.

I got the 3 platter too...it's not that big of deal as these are all great HD's. Fast, dependable, etc. This was my 6th black drive purchase, w/ no problems what so ever. I can't say that about Seagate or Samsung.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, you will never find this drive cheaper than $60, by a good margin.

I'm wondering why you guys are buying a 1gb drive when another TB is available for $10 bucks more at several places still.

the other places aren't offering this drive @ 2gb's. They are the Seagates which aren't as good for several reasons.

the other places aren't offering this drive @ 2gb's. They are the Seagates which aren't as good for several reasons.

So Seagate has a WD on their label which is also black and has black circles all over the cover?
Hmm guess its a Seagate and the 15 or so pages of photos and people saying they have 10-20+ of these drives that ended up being "WD" Blacks in the external "WD" enclosures are just loosing their minds then.

:rolleyes:

Oh yea and those Seagates magically have a "WD" model number that pulls up information on a "WD" website also. Magic is AWSOME!

Sure there is. Both the $69 Staples deal and the $69 Target deals had the WD Elements 2tb external drives that contained 2TB Caviar Blacks inside.

I'm well aware of what people are doing..............OK?. Thanks for pointing out the obvious once again.

Those are external storage units, not internal drives.

I'm well aware of what people are doing..............OK?. Thanks for pointing out the obvious once again.

Those are external storage units, not internal drives.

That you take apart then use it as a internal drives, big whoop.

Back