WD 2 TB HDD Caviar Green + LG 22x DVD burner $109.00

Guido02

Limp Gawd
ShellShocker just went up on Newegg, and I'm wonderng if this is a good deal. I don't really have a need for the LG drive, but I could always throw it in my Desktop so I have 2 ODD.

What are your thoughts, I'm really after the HDD, for a Home Server with intentions on video streaming.

Here is link

Amazon recently has the drive alone for $92.

So, it's comparable if you consider the OD to be worth $17, and actually needed one.

Couldn't help but think with Newegg's packaging sometimes what a HD and an OD are like rattlin' 'round in a box together...

Do you mean amazon has a 1.5 TB for 92?

It also looks like they have another 1.5 TB HDD but with a 64MB cache for $85.

But i'm not to familiar with amazon, its a bit foriegn to me.

I did see that Dell has 2 TB Caviar Green with 64 MB cache for $99.99.

Does 64mb cche make a big difference?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I want the HDD, however with people talking about HDD packages issues once again, I'm worried.

$99, at Dell. Deal. Thanks Guido02!

Not really an amazing deal. But I had a free $100 Dell GC so I decided to use it now.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The Newegg drive is an EADS where as the Dell one is EARS if that matters to anyone. I had a good experience with the EARS model but some here just avoid it for compatibility reasons.

Got 4, selling burners, this is going to bump me up to 24TB!

Edit: Boo, they'll only let me buy 2 or 3.. :(

Last edited:
There are no issues with newegg hard drive packaging anymore guys, I think they finally heard us.
I received 2 bare hard disks last week, they were sitting tight bubble-wrapped inside a special oversized slide-in cardboard box.

There are no issues with newegg hard drive packaging anymore guys, I think they finally heard us.
I received 2 bare hard disks last week, they were sitting tight bubble-wrapped inside a special oversized slide-in cardboard box.

Well, maybe for you... but I finally had my first bad packaging experience with them.. I received a harddrive 1 layer of bubble wrap, placed at the bottom corner of the box with crushed paper for packing. Luckily, the drive is fine... but worst packing job I've had to date with newegg, and normally they're awesome for me.

Well, maybe for you... but I finally had my first bad packaging experience with them.. I received a harddrive 1 layer of bubble wrap, placed at the bottom corner of the box with crushed paper for packing. Luckily, the drive is fine... but worst packing job I've had to date with newegg, and normally they're awesome for me.

I've bought two hdds within the last couple months and I haven't had a problem with the drives or the packing at all...

I may just jump on this, I bought one for this price a few weeks ago so this would be like getting the same deal and a free DVD burner...

Last edited:
In for 1! Needed a new hard drive to replace a 500GB that failed in my media server. Now I can upgrade the DVD burner too and get rid of my one remaining IDE cable!

In for 1! Needed a new hard drive to replace a 500GB that failed in my media server. Now I can upgrade the DVD burner too and get rid of my one remaining IDE cable!

How did you find it? Link goes to something else.

Back