WD 3Tb Red 3.5" $149.99 (NewEgg Shell Shocker)

Cocksucka! Bought 4 last month at about 186 each. Thanks for this.

TD is 160 with rebate.

lot of reviews as of late seem to indicate there is a bad batch of drives out there. those who have the drive how have then been so far?

Give em to me at $125 each and I'm in. This whole pricing thing needs to come back down to pre-flood levels. The prices are being kept artificially high for as long as they can keep them that way and it's bs.

lot of reviews as of late seem to indicate there is a bad batch of drives out there. those who have the drive how have then been so far?

This, if true, is absolutely pathetic in my eyes.

Aren't these drives supposed to be reliable and basically bulletproof? No reason why WD can more thoroughly test these drives.

Just sad...

I have 4 running in a NAS for about a month now (bought from Amazon). One started clicking a few days ago but none of them had any sectors re-allocated after performing smart check. The drive is still running fine, but started an advance RMA with WD. Might pick up a cold spare today. The clicking drive was manufactured a few weeks before the other three. If you buy drives from WD, register each one on their site before you install them.

Edit: Remember most reviews are written by people experiencing problems. The majority of these drives must be good since they sell out fast on Amazon. Too soon to comment on long term reliability since the reds are new. I can tell you they are quiet and cool. Installed in a DS-413 with a single Ext 4 volume with SHR-1 (synology's raid w/ 1 disk redundancy), I get a usable 8 TB with sustained transfer rate of about 50 MB/sec over a 1000 network, everything piped directly to a N66U router with openvpn.

Last edited:
Would these be recommended over Greens for an UnRaid setup for serving media?
I imagine they are "better" but the question is at what $ premium is it worth it?

Would these be recommended over Greens for an UnRaid setup for serving media?
I imagine they are "better" but the question is at what $ premium is it worth it?

Just taking a shot in the dark here, but the greens come with a 2 year warranty and the reds come with a 3 year warranty. That may be the only difference, it's not the first time they've done such a thing (certain "enterprise" lines). They may have passed certain tests, but I'd be willing to guess they're made of the same exact stuff. Just like CPU's get binned differently during the manufacturering process.

I picked up a 3tb seagate for 119... meh.. And I'm giving it away for Xmas since I'm trying to keep costs down.

Honestly, I think the Reds fail as much as any modern drive. Which is more than back in the good ol' days, but that's the way they are.

A friend bought 5 from NE in the past month and one failed out of the box. I bought 3 from NE when they first came out during the Summer and 2 more from Amazon about 2 weeks ago, and haven't had any problems with them. Not seeing any bad SMART data, which is more than I can say for the 5 Samsungs I bought 2 years ago. 1 failed after 3 months, and I see a few SMART errors on them, though nothing bad enough to say the drives are going bad.

Back