WD 4TB USB 3.0 External Hard Drive $109 shipped

do yourself a favor remove the damn drive from the enclosure and use it internally.
WD has screwed so many user with their usb bridges that die and leave the user stuck unit they purchase another interface board from ebay.

I saw this deal yesterday and ordered one. Returned the same drive I picked up at BB for $50 that cost about $50 more out the door for me (tax). BHphoto has been great for me. In stock stuff ships fast and prices are very good.

do yourself a favor remove the damn drive from the enclosure and use it internally.
WD has screwed so many user with their usb bridges that die and leave the user stuck unit they purchase another interface board from ebay.

I have to agree, some of these interface boards also have encryption built in.

If that board goes, you pull the drive and place it in a computer, it will not read the data due to the encryption.

I have to agree, some of these interface boards also have encryption built in.

If that board goes, you pull the drive and place it in a computer, it will not read the data due to the encryption.

Wow that is terrible.

ok apparently WD Elements Desktop does not have hardware encryption according to their website.

WD MyBook and MyBook Duo do have the encryption.

wonder if these are the drives that have the USB controller built into it, as in there is no SATA interface as some external drives are doing that now.

These usually contain green or blue drives.

Cannot be blue drives, as there is no Blue larger than 1TB. Has to be Green or black, but I highly doubt they'd shove in a 4tb black at even the MSRP, so most likely green.

Cannot be blue drives, as there is no Blue larger than 1TB. Has to be Green or black, but I highly doubt they'd shove in a 4tb black at even the MSRP, so most likely green.
When I picked up my WD Element 2TB at target 2-3 years back on BF about 25% of then were black drives, the rest green.

I'm bummed that I missed this for $109. $129 is still a damn good price though.

Price is down to $119. You have 4 mins LOL

Price: $139.00
Instant Savings: $20.00
Offer ends: DEC 17 '14
You Pay: $119.00

Nice deal. I'm just looking for a empty nas box at a good price. Moving to a small build and would like to move them all outside the case now.

edit: oh nevermind, it switched back to $119 again. Weird.

Last edited:
I got this drive from a Newegg sale, a couple of days ago, for $119 shipped. The USB plug doesn't lock in place in the drive and keeps falling out. Probably just a random defect, but I'm returning for refund, not exchange.

Everyone should do this, I wouldn't want that bulky monstrosity sitting on my desk to begin with. (6.5" by 5.3"))

Last edited:
Does this lose warranty if you remove it from the enclosure?
Yes

I will just plug them into my router and share the drive over the network. My router has 2x USB 2.0 ports so not the fastest in the world, but will work as a media share for streaming to the TV.

I got mine. It's got a WD40EZRX (Green) drive FWIW.

The best thing about the green drives is their very quiet. Seem to have a high failure rate after 2 years by reviews, mine is at 3 and still working (knock on wood)

The best thing about the green drives is their very quiet. Seem to have a high failure rate after 2 years by reviews, mine is at 3 and still working (knock on wood)
All of my "first gen" green drives died in a matter of months, I have a two "gen2" green drives and they have been running for over 2yrs.

I hope the best to these, I ordered two!

Back