WD 640GB $88 FS!

Hmm, perhaps it'll be back in a few days. Not having to pay tax is great! :)

Wow they're fast - I just received the tracking number and confirmation email! :)

Also, regarding the Seagate drive - I believe the larger cache was not a big deal in most tests.

Just got my tracking numbers too, but I'm sure it's just the electronic information being sent to UPS informing UPS that they will be receiving my HD.

Hmm, perhaps it'll be back in a few days. Not having to pay tax is great! :)

Just keep trying, it seems to go in and out of stock throughout the day.

I was able to add it right away when this thread started but didn't pull the trigger. Tried again a little later and OOS. Waited about 1/2 hour tried again and got one. Tested again a little later and OOS. :D

But newegg is the best online retailer. I got one from there as well. It also arrives the next day and it has the greatest customer service.

Im willing to pay an extra $12 bucks for that.

UPS shows it actually shipped out last night. that's pretty awesome turn-around from 'order placed' to 'shipped package'. :)

I've oredered from them b4. They were pretty decent. No Newegg but who is? I am forced to look for deals now that NE is charging Tax in NY :(

Scheduled delivery is the 30th as well. Pretty good turn around. Newegg would have taken a lot longer for me.

im watching this one carefully, i'd like to see how these stack up alongside my raptors

Directron is usually good with their packaging. I use to work there and I've seen how they package most things.

From Western Digital's website, the drive has a non operating shock tolerance of 300 G's. For comparison, 2003 Indy car wreck at Texas Motor Speedway produced:

and the driver survived.

Of course I guess if it was the Big Brown Truck UPS NASCAR then maybe we do need to worry. :D

Keep in mind that "Gee's" are a measurment of acceleration, not shock force, or impact energy, or anything like that.

You can impart more then 300g's on a hard drive by dropping it onto concrete from just a couple feet.

The indy car sustained less then 300 because parts of it were meant to deform in the accident, spreading the car's acceleration over a distance. concrete and the stiff metal case of a hard drive dont have that luxury. It also may be true that the g sensor in the car was not meant to measure such high accelerations, or that it's sampling rate was too low for an accurate reading during the event.

How do WD's compare to seagate in terms of noise?

I haaaaaaaate loud hard drives.

my twin terabyte seagates are very quiet....i've heard wd's are usually the ones that are loud *least for the raptors*

my twin terabyte seagates are very quiet....i've heard wd's are usually the ones that are loud *least for the raptors*

I have two of each. The Seagate 7200.8 300GB is relatively quiet, and the 7200.10 500GB is moderate in noise. The WD 3200KS 320GB is the loudest of all the drives, while the 7500AAKS 750GB is the quietest of all the drives. In other words, both companies have made quiet and loud drives, so you've got to look at the reviews for each individual drive you're going to get.

I was sorely tempted by the deal too, but they were all out by the time I heard of it. :(

Raptors are very very loud. Recent WDs (non-raptors) and Seagates are relatively quiet, with levels of noise varying from model to model. You can't say that Seagates are quieter than WDs (or vice versa,) you have to compare them model to model.

I have two of each. The Seagate 7200.8 300GB is relatively quiet, and the 7200.10 500GB is moderate in noise. The WD 3200KS 320GB is the loudest of all the drives, while the 7500AAKS 750GB is the quietest of all the drives. In other words, both companies have made quiet and loud drives, so you've got to look at the reviews for each individual drive you're going to get.

I was sorely tempted by the deal too, but they were all out by the time I heard of it. :(

Sounds like you may have a bad sample of the WD. When SPCR reviewed the 3200ks, the first production sample was pretty loud. They got a second drive and the first drive was almost 2x as loud as the 2nd.

Personally, I'd call up WD complain, get a replacement, mvoe your data to the new drive, wipe the old drive and send it back to WD.

It should be significantly quieter than any Current Seagate model. WD's have beenconsistently quieter than the Seagates since the 5000ks came out.

The only drives quieter than the 3200/6400 are a recent Samsung drive and the Velociraptor (the quietest drive you can buy).

Personally, I'd call up WD complain, get a replacement, mvoe your data to the new drive, wipe the old drive and send it back to WD.

Very possible I did get one of the early noisy ones. Not worth the trouble to RMA to WD though, as I am itching to replace it with a larger drive anyway. ;) Until then, I can live with the noise. Next build (when Westmere comes out is the current plan) I plan to make a quiet system from the ground up, starting with a new case. I'll probably be asking for help in both the SPCR and [H] forums to try to get a balance of quiet and power. :D

Sounds like you may have a bad sample of the WD. When SPCR reviewed the 3200ks, the first production sample was pretty loud. They got a second drive and the first drive was almost 2x as loud as the 2nd.

It should be significantly quieter than any Current Seagate model. WD's have beenconsistently quieter than the Seagates since the 5000ks came out.

The only drives quieter than the 3200/6400 are a recent Samsung drive and the Velociraptor (the quietest drive you can buy).

IDK, in the past when I bought a brand new WD HD that was bad. I RMA'd it back to WD and they sent me a refurbished one. WTF, I was pissed. I didn't buy a refurbished one to begin with, why should I get one in return. I called up WD to bitch but they wouldn't fix it, saying that's the way they do RMAs. :mad:
Afterwards I found that I should have sent it back to NewEgg first and they would have sent me a brand new one back.

IDK, in the past when I bought a brand new WD HD that was bad. I RMA'd it back to WD and they sent me a refurbished one. WTF, I was pissed. I didn't buy a refurbished one to begin with, why should I get one in return. I called up WD to bitch but they wouldn't fix it, saying that's the way they do RMAs. :mad:
Afterwards I found that I should have sent it back to NewEgg first and they would have sent me a brand new one back.

Getting off topic now, but Seagate does this too, and I've heard more about the drives they send back dying in a matter of weeks than I have with WD.

This is what the reviews I've read have concluded as well. Silent PC Review, Storage Review, Anandtech, etc. My 6400AAKS is scheduled to arrive Monday.

nilepez said:
This is what the reviews I've read have concluded as well. Silent PC Review, Storage Review, Anandtech, etc.

Keep in mind that the WD3200KS that I have is completely different (and much older) than the recent WD3200AAKS. It came out in late 2005 or very early 2006. Not sure if nilepez confused the two also, but it is likely, as I could not find a SPCR review of the former. And I highly doubt that I'd get back a 3200AAKS if I sent in a 3200KS.

Back on topic.

I've heard that these are really fast compared to other 500GB and 750GB drives. Is this true?
Any links to charts or anything like that?

I'm thinking about getting a couple of these for my HTPC.

Before I say anything else, this drive does have free shipping again.

As for Newegg vs Directron, I just don't see why anyone cares in this case. If you got a dead drive from Directron (or the Egg), you'd probably get a replacement more quickly from WD than Newegg. In general I've gotten a replacement within 2 or 3 days.

Very possible I did get one of the early noisy ones. Not worth the trouble to RMA to WD though, as I am itching to replace it with a larger drive anyway. ;) Until then, I can live with the noise. Next build (when Westmere comes out is the current plan) I plan to make a quiet system from the ground up, starting with a new case. I'll probably be asking for help in both the SPCR and [H] forums to try to get a balance of quiet and power. :D

Not much need for balance. Unless you're running SLI, your system probably won't tax any decent 400W PSU. And given that Corsair makes an extremely quiet 520w/620w PSUs (and enermax has a 620w PSU (as well as less power ful models that SPCR didn't review) that's even quieter, the only real compromise is how much money you want to spend.

I made a build with the Corsair, and I can't hear it unless I'm right on top of it, and I don't compute with my ear next to the exhaust fan.

As for cases, I'm sure there are plenty others out there, but I'm quite pleased with the p180 and p182 (only difference is exterior colors). I think Antec has a newer version coming out, but don't know much about it. Someone at work bought a case that has something like a 300mm fan on the side, which apparently is quiet.

And to top it all off, if money is no object, the fastest HD, the Velociraptor, is also the quietest and most energy efficient drive.

Just be prepared to spend money on slow fans (right now Scythe Slipstream is among the best have the best) and to replace the fan/cooler on your GPU.

----------------

Wish they still had these in stock....one of these would probably go nicely with a Blacx enclosure....probably best to keep my money in my wallet....the price will go down on both, I'm sure.

Keep in mind that the WD3200KS that I have is completely different (and much older) than the recent WD3200AAKS. It came out in late 2005 or very early 2006. Not sure if nilepez confused the two also, but it is likely, as I could not find a SPCR review of the former. And I highly doubt that I'd get back a 3200AAKS if I sent in a 3200KS.

You're correct. I forgot that WD had a 320GB drive prior to the current line. I take back the defective bit....WD drives were much noisier prior to the 5000ks/aaks line

That said, when my 5000ks took a dive, they sent me a brand new 5000aaks....the biggest surprise was that it wasn't a refurb.

So with that said, i now understand why the Seagate is quieter than the WD drive.

Well now that we've straightened that out ;)

Before I say anything else, this drive does have free shipping again.

But still OOS alas; you'll see if you try to add it to your cart. :( Last time they had an ETA up, it was for the 30th, so it may not be a bad idea to check again Monday morning.

I made a build with the Corsair [PSU], and I can't hear it unless I'm right on top of it, and I don't compute with my ear next to the exhaust fan.

As for cases, I'm sure there are plenty others out there, but I'm quite pleased with the p180 and p182 (only difference is exterior colors). I think Antec has a newer version coming out, but don't know much about it. Someone at work bought a case that has something like a 300mm fan on the side, which apparently is quiet.

You read my mind on both counts. I'm thinking of a P182SE (or newer equivalent) if it still exists in a year or two; if I can't have a side window and still have a quiet case, at least I can have a mirror finish. :D My current Tt 750W is great, but it sounds like the Corsair HX series is more quiet than almost any other PS, so I'm thinking I might replace it with the HX620 for the new build. Enough power for any build I'll be likely to do, and while expensive, not break-the-bank expensive either.

And to top it all off, if money is no object, the fastest HD, the Velociraptor, is also the quietest and most energy efficient drive.

Though the Velociraptor is cool, I'll take a larger drive (or two) for the money, kthxbai. ;) Thanks for your suggestions BTW. :)

For anybody that's still interested, the deal is back. :) Remember to use the SUPER75 coupon code for $2 off, and there's a double-boxing option for $3 for those that want it packed a bit more securely.

Back