WD 640GB AAKS drive, $99.99

Free 3 day shipping too.

Looks like you posted this in 'Hot Deals Discussion' rather than 'Hot Deals' though.

Two-platter design, low noise and runs cool.

Also fast as hell. Man, I wanted to buy a 640AAKS, but it was always 30-40 dollars more then I wanted to spend, so I went with the 500AAKS, but thats the old 250GB platter design. now all of a sudden, boom, right there at 100, right at the sweetspot.

How would one use this for a c:/system drive?
Partition it to c: - 100 and d: - 540 for storage?

can't decide between this and the seagate 750gb.

Seems like a fairly simple choice: Buy a drive that offers an extra 110GB free or a faster, quieter, and more energy efficient drive.

If I was buying a drive, I'd get the WD. The 3 advantages it has are exactly what I want in a drive (especially the quieter and more energy efficient).

I left out the better Seagate Warranty (forgot about it), but while others value the extra 2 years, IMO, in 3 years you'll look at a 750GB drive and think it's awfully slow, noisy and frankly a bit small compared to that 2TB drive (on 1-2 platters) at newegg for 175 bucks.

But that's me. I've seen many MANY people here who think the extra warranty is a major selling point.

Not sure if that makes it easier for you.

damn.. this would make a perfect dedicated drive for age of conan...

Damn... this is killing me. I just ordered one of these a couple days ago for a system... Now I want to order another one, just for the good deal.

Just a heads up on a possible future deal @ buy.com, The drive is sold out for now but keep an eye peeled and it may be in stock soon. There are two ways you can work this deal.

1) If you have a google checkout account(s), see if you've been sent the new $25 off $75 offer. Sometimes you have to go through the checkout process to find out if you qualify (i was never emailed the offer but i'm still eligible for example). That would knock the price down to $77 shipped free.

2) You can also sign up for a new google checkout account and get $10 off, that would knock the price down to $92 shipped free.

I'll try to keep an eye on it, and i'll post here again if it comes back in stock.

Links to try:
- http://www.buy.com/prod/western-dig...640gb-7200rpm-serial/q/loc/101/206827115.html
- http://www.buy.com/retail/usersearc...=comp&qu=WD6400AAKS&loc=101&qxt=comp&display=

good luck :)

PS: if you're eligible for the GCO $25 off $75 discount, here's a WD 500gb AAKS for $59.99 AC shipped free (12 cents a gig).

whats the useable space on that 640gb drive?

After all is said and done, windows vista x64 shows 598GB of space. I'd love it if they would show my not only the power of 10 volume of the drive, but in parentheses the power of 2 volume of the drive.

Would these be good drives to use in a Home Server?

Just don't use more than 1 drive (total) for WHS. There is a nasty data corruption bug if you use more than one drive, which remains unfixed. Wait for "Power Pack 1", which I think I heard will have a beta version out in early June. Plenty of discussion on this around the web.

-PP

FYI, they are out of stock at Newegg.

Instead, I just ordered mine from Mwave for $105, including 2-day FedEx.

FedEx > UPS.

Edit: Crap, I think I'm wrong. I think they do UPS only. :(

wow.

The only thing is its almost the same price per drive. Even with Google Checkout, it currently is $1,960. $1,940 w/ Amazon credit card initiation deal.

I dont know, that may be more trouble than its worth, to be honest. I'm a little surprised they dont have a lower price per drive.

Just don't use more than 1 drive (total) for WHS. There is a nasty data corruption bug if you use more than one drive, which remains unfixed. Wait for "Power Pack 1", which I think I heard will have a beta version out in early June. Plenty of discussion on this around the web.

-PP

Wait a sec, the data corruption bug with WHS has been with changing data in the server storage pool - like using a Quicken file off the server instead of off a local pc and then backing it up to the WHS pool, or pointing uTorrent to the WHS pool where it is constantly changing files as it downloads them. Is there a second bug with more than one drive type? :confused:

I'm using (4) 320gb 7200.10's and (2) 750gb WD GP's in my WHS, among other single drives with no issues. Are you sure you understand the data bug, or am I out of date on my info?

Ordered mine last week. Just right at the moment I finally had the extra cash to justify purchasing one of these and I see the deal from NewEgg in the inbox. I could have gotten it cheaper from MWave and payed the Will Call fee + tax and probably come out cheaper, but I thought I throw a couple of dollars at NewEgg's direction this time.

How would one use this for a c:/system drive?
Partition it to c: - 100 and d: - 540 for storage?

Was wondering, what do you mean by 100 for system and 540 for storage? Do you mean putting only the os into the 100 partition and everything else in the 540 partition or do you mean putting only storage files into the 540 parition (movies, music, files) and putting programs into the 100 partition (microsoft office, games, other programs) or did I miss the point completely?

Also I have a 320 seagate harddrive with windows xp but I was thinking of switching to vista premium 64 bit on a completely new hard drive. Can I just purchase this hard drive, hook it onto my motherboard and then install vista 64 premium on it or is there something else I must do?

Edit: I'm sorry I forgot to mention I want to also keep the 320 seagate harddrive and duel boot vista 64 on the other hard drive, if possible?

How does this compare to the Samsung F1 750GB?

Noise, performance, etc.

[LYL]Homer;1032540191 said:
Wait a sec, the data corruption bug with WHS has been with changing data in the server storage pool - like using a Quicken file off the server instead of off a local pc and then backing it up to the WHS pool, or pointing uTorrent to the WHS pool where it is constantly changing files as it downloads them. Is there a second bug with more than one drive type? :confused:

I'm using (4) 320gb 7200.10's and (2) 750gb WD GP's in my WHS, among other single drives with no issues. Are you sure you understand the data bug, or am I out of date on my info?

I realize that this is probably not the proper place to discuss WHS, but since the topic is relevant to dual HDDs (not just WD), I did a lil Googling and did not find any info pertaining to the data corruption bug with WHS via multiple drives. I'm aware of the bug but the multiple drive issue; I can not find any info on there being a problem with utilizing two drives in WHS. Can anyone verify this with a link?

Back