WD Black 1.0 TB operating temp (WD1001FALS).. what's yours?

graysky

Gawd
Just added a WD1001FALS drive to my system. It's been idle for about 1/ 2h now and idle temp is kinda on the high side relative to my other drives. This WD drive is 39 C which is about 7 C hotter than my other HDD which is a 32 C. Room temp is 68 F. Is 39 C normal for this particular drive? If you have this particular HDD, please post your drive's idle temp.

Thanks!

Mine never gets above 36-37C in my WHS box with decent airflow in my Norco 4020 case.

Edit: And my ambient is generally in the mid 70's F. I'd check your airflow and see if you can improve that. I don't think 39C is a problem though.

I have a P182. I have two HDDs in the drive cage w/ fan on them, but the WD drive is on rails near the top of the case with no fan. Odd thing is that I've had another drive up there as well and it never got that hot.

I have two of them in the bottom half of a 4in3 module and they sit around 34-36C. I run a Yate Loon med speed fan, spinning 750-800rpms. They run hotter than my Velociraptors by a few degs. I agree with epimetheus, see about improving airflow.

@epicwolf - how high do they get wo/ the fan running (maybe unplug it for 1 h or so if you're willing to test)?

Thanks!

Today's been a little chilly, my drive temps were 34C with fan at 750rpm. After turning the fan off, my temps for both 1Tb drives were 37C after 3hrs of apps, surfing and defrag.

Back