WD Blue 6TB $199.99 @ Amazon

These are the new WD Green drives for anyone wondering.. Also wdidle3 works on them.

These are the new WD Green drives for anyone wondering..

But they also make a 6 TB Green drive...?

Blues and Greens have been different in the past and it seems like the same is true now.

Blues and Greens have been different in the past and it seems like the same is true now.

WD discontinued their green brand either this year or late last year and replaced their blue line with them. Blue drives used to be low storage at 7200rpm, now they are large storage at 5400rpm.

edit: noticed their mobile website still lists Green but the website doesn't load.

Blue/Black/Red+Pro/Purple and Gold(SE?)

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
These are different drives tho, one is an internal drive and the other you will void the warranty if you try to put it in your computer (removing from enclosure). These are different beasts for different jobs.

These are different drives tho, one is an internal drive and the other you will void the warranty if you try to put it in your computer (removing from enclosure). These are different beasts for different jobs.

We mod things over here. :) There are a lot of threads about taking drives out of their cages. We don't need no stinking warranty. ;)

But yes, you're right if you have to crack the case to get the drive out it voids the warranty. ;)

They don't make greens anymore.. Just selling old ones they still have. Blue's are now greens.. Only difference is a sticker.

The fact WDIDLE exists & I can turn off head parking makes WD my first choice when it comes to hard drives.
Whoa Nelly! Don't TOTALLY disable it on current models though, they go nuts.
Just set it to the max (300 IIRC).

I don't WANT my hard drives to spin down....
Understood, I want to minimize head parks as well, but apparently on newer model Greens/Blues/Reds, setting it to 0 / disable causes them go wacky so the best we can do is 300 (5 mins),
which for all practical purposes is the same.

The head parking issue revolves around that intelipower thing WD advertises. I've yet to run into an issue disabling it on the older green drives.

Actually if you wanted to run raid on their lower end drives this may end up helping them from dropping the array.

I checked 5TB and 6TB Reds purchased in the past year or so and they seemed to already be set to 300 by default, which was nice.

HGST Enterprise He8 HDD Found in Early Retail 8TB WD My Book
HGST Enterprise He8 HDD Found in Early Retail 8TB WD My Book | PC Perspective

Amazon link. They are $250. Make sure that's the right one as I am NOT a hard drive aficionado.
Amazon.com: WD 8TB My Book Desktop External Hard Drive - USB 3.0 - WDBFJK0080HBK-NESN: Computers & Accessories

Might be a better deal for those looking for a big drive. Not trying to thread cap at all. :)

Thanks for the heads-up. I got the EEZX which is the 5400 RPM HGST He8 out the My Book I bought today. I'm pleased. $249 for 8TB, higher than WD Black performance and no head parking.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back