WD VelociRaptor

If you're considering spending way too much money on ultra high performance storage, you'd do well to wait and see Intel's SSD, due out later this summer. From what I've seen at IDF... damn.

If you're considering spending way too much money on ultra high performance storage, you'd do well to wait and see Intel's SSD, due out later this summer. From what I've seen at IDF... damn.

no, my current storage setup consists of two 150 raptors in raid 0 and then a 750gb for all my data(movies, music, downloaded material)

I was just thinking of maybe asking for 2 of the 300gb raptors for my birthday, I was just wondering given my current setup, would I notice a difference?

Hmmm....
Mid-may release. Check
2x$300 = RAID0. Check
$600 "Stimulus Check". Check

Looks like new toys are going to be on order shortly... :D

ok, sorry if this is a dumb question, but would one see a noticeable difference with two of these in raid 0 vs the two 150gb raptors in raid 0 I already have?

Probably; a single one of these is doing runs around ordinary Raptors, so RAID 0 would only make that better. Plus, quieter and cooler-running.

I was just thinking of maybe asking for 2 of the 300gb raptors for my birthday, I was just wondering given my current setup, would I notice a difference?

Damn, I could add up years worth of birthday presents and they wouldn't match that. Did you get an HDTV last year and a new car the year before?

I'm in for 2 when they hit ~$250. Might have to throw a few in the DB server at work too...

LOL, i wish, its just that normally I dont ask for anything for my birthdays' so I figured i would ask for those lol.

sweet! might get one or two.....

now im just wondering, would 4 x Raptor 150 Raid0 be faster then 2 of these in Raid0. :rolleyes:

Damn I bought a 150 raptor late last year and now this comes out?? Ahh that's great.. looks like I'll keep that in the backburner for a summer upgrade.. :D

Sad to say it, but i'll have to pass on this one. The sata mounting position is an epic fail for all of us who wishes to use hot swap units or specialized applications. Price is also epic fail, I can pickup 15K sas drives for cheaper or a 1tb sata and a sas drive.

I think it will go well for a lot of peoples applications but I just dont see it working out well for me :(

Sad to say it, but i'll have to pass on this one. The sata mounting position is an epic fail for all of us who wishes to use hot swap units or specialized applications. Price is also epic fail, I can pickup 15K sas drives for cheaper or a 1tb sata and a sas drive.

I think it will go well for a lot of peoples applications but I just dont see it working out well for me :(
Wish I had a SAS controller

What ever happened to you getting more for the same price with each new generation? Harddrive performance has been so slow, capacity has increased decently, but price per capacity hasn't moved as fast. (at least not for high performance stuff)

Ram, CPU's, etc... have been double performance and capacity while keeping prices about the same.

How about this thing cost $200, and the 150Gb drop down to $100?! Thats more with where their prices need to be!! If not I'll just be buying a WD 640Gb for my next drive.

Considering raptors used to cost 3ish dollars a gig id say they're moving along in a pretty decent direction...

I know what you mean. I can hear my 4x80GB Raptor RAID 0 array from across the room, makes me feel powerful! :p It's gonna be sad to see them go but I intend to get two of these new drives to replace them.

I wonder if the VelociRaptors will fit in one of these:

17-998-037-06.jpg

It's already been said that the IcePak makes them not line up with pretty much all hotswap bays and such... and removing it voids the warranty on the drive. So no, won't fit in anything save a standard 3.5" bay.

Actually those 4x2.5 hotswaps are made for enterprise class 2.5" drives like seagates Savvio series. Most 2.5" drives are .3" thick. Savvios are pretty much the same size as the VRaptor at .5" thick. It should fit.

Sad to say it, but i'll have to pass on this one. The sata mounting position is an epic fail for all of us who wishes to use hot swap units or specialized applications.
I heard they are selling them without the IcePak for enterprise use.

[=][=]Defiant One;1032399278 said:
Hmmm....
Mid-may release. Check
2x$300 = RAID0. Check
$600 "Stimulus Check". Check

Looks like new toys are going to be on order shortly... :D

wait, you make less than 75k/year and are spending $600 on hard drives for your boot partition? :)

wait, you make less than 75k/year and are spending $600 on hard drives for your boot partition? :)

Wait, you've been here fifteen days and you're all ready jumping member's asses?

I bet most people on this forum make less than $50,000 of my dollars*. I live in one of the poorest states in the USA.

Wait, you've been here fifteen days and you're all ready jumping member's asses?

I bet most people on this forum make less than $50,000 of my dollars*. I live in one of the poorest states in the USA.

Hell, I make just under $20k.

You make due with that you have and if it is in your budget thats up to you.

Been a longtime ATer and XS guy, and a longtime lurker here.

I was just kidding around either way:) Whatever anyone wants to spend their budget on is a-ok. It's just funny how wildly different people's budgeting is depending on the area they live in. I pick up hardware all the time, but looking around my workplace, there's tons of people making money hand over fist but end up paying 2k/month for housing, have a 1k/month car payment, and then give me a hard time for buying these kinds of things.

Holy thread derail. Is it a full moon or something? There's been a lot of weird-ass freaking posts all over [H] lately.

Holy thread derail. Is it a full moon or something? There's been a lot of weird-ass freaking posts all over [H] lately.

I too blame the full moon. Though most people I know IRL are also acting weird. Maybe it's just the exam time/semester's end? :p

I don't know why people are complaining about the price, the VelociRaptor has a better Price per Gigabyte than the current 150GB raptor @ $170/150GB.

What the kicker is though is these complainers spared no expense when building their boxes, SLI, quad cores and expensive RAM and Mobo's are littered throughout their sigs yet they won't buy a 300GB HDD that costs $300.... Not to mention how much more improved it is over the current models.

I am seriously considering buying one of these when the firmware is 100%.

I don't know why people are complaining about the price, the VelociRaptor has a better Price per Gigabyte than the current 150GB raptor @ $170/150GB.

What the kicker is though is these complainers spared no expense when building their boxes, SLI, quad cores and expensive RAM and Mobo's are littered throughout their sigs yet they won't buy a 300GB HDD....

I've always too found this ironic, but not just about hard drives.

I see people splurging like $1200 on video cards, but getting the cheapest motherboard or PSU they can find. All the parts in your rig work together for the common goal: speed. Leaving one component to the wind is like taking an all-star team and adding some scrawny little kid who'll fumble the ball or trip up the MVP. It just doesn't make sense. If you're splurging, splurge on it all! Best of everything.

/mini-rant :p

A $300 HDD does not give anywhere near the performance boost (in game -- no I do not care about faster startup/loading times) of another $300 GPU, a new faster CPU, or in many cases even more RAM (which unless you're running DDR3 is likely a lot less than $300). Any modern 7200RPM drive is fast enough, pure and simple. I'm not saying the Raptor/VelociRaptor is useless, just that it represents an entirely different level of excess when compared with SLI or even RAID0.

Yea... I'm planning to grab 2 x 320GB 7200.11's Seagates and run them in Raid0... Samsung is taking forever with their F1 320's and you can't reliably get a single-platter WD (I already took a gamble ordering from Newegg and lost :( )

ZZF has them for $66 :D!

Raptors have always been kinda "gimmicky" sure they're faster... are they worth it? Probably not... but neither is most enthusiast stuff now adays... you pay twice as much for 10-20% more performance... =/

I've always too found this ironic, but not just about hard drives.

I see people splurging like $1200 on video cards, but getting the cheapest motherboard or PSU they can find. All the parts in your rig work together for the common goal: speed. Leaving one component to the wind is like taking an all-star team and adding some scrawny little kid who'll fumble the ball or trip up the MVP. It just doesn't make sense. If you're splurging, splurge on it all! Best of everything.

/mini-rant :p

That's not entirely true. Hard drives don't impact FPS at all. So if you are gaming a really fast disk subsystem is only an after thought if its' even a thought at all. Motherboards don't really have any bearing on speed. At least not directly. The main difference between a cheap board and an expensive one is features. Essentially your video card, memory (to some degree) and your processor are the only things that really make a huge difference in performance. Even then CPUs reach a point of diminishing returns.

So yeah you'll see machines with $1200 worth of video cards on a $130 motherboard with a $200 processor and a $100 (or less) PSU.

Blazestorm got me thinking:

2x 300gb VRaptors = $600 for a RAID 0 stripe, 600gb, assume onboard RAID controller.

4x 320gb (WD AAKS or Samsung F1) drives + Areca ARC-1210 4 port RAID controller = $600 with a RAID 5 or 0 stripe, 960gb

How badly does the 4 drive array get trounced?

A $300 HDD does not give anywhere near the performance boost (in game -- no I do not care about faster startup/loading times) of another $300 GPU, a new faster CPU, or in many cases even more RAM (which unless you're running DDR3 is likely a lot less than $300). Any modern 7200RPM drive is fast enough, pure and simple. I'm not saying the Raptor/VelociRaptor is useless, just that it represents an entirely different level of excess when compared with SLI or even RAID0.

Different strokes. For me, the general responsiveness of everyday apps is a big deal so the low seek times are a boon. I already have a speedy enough computer for what I need (an overclocked e8400, 4 GB of RAM, a G92 8800gts also overclocked) with a solid PSU and case. I have enough storage amid my slew of GP drives in my file server as well. So a $300 investment to have a larger boot partition and seemingly better performance in my everyday use makes sense. I used to think differently when I gamed more often, but now that my computer is just one ongoing project, I no longer think bang/buck for everything :)

[LYL]Homer;1032402753 said:

2x 300gb VRaptors = $600 for a RAID 0 stripe, 600gb, assume onboard RAID controller.

4x 320gb (WD AAKS or Samsung F1) drives + Areca ARC-1210 4 port RAID controller = $600 with a RAID 5 or 0 stripe, 960gb

I thought onboard raid was pretty good for Raid0? and that "Real" hardware Raid controllers were really only for Raid5/6/10 and Raid0/1 was simple enough that "fake" raid and software raid was pretty good...

Regardless, $130 shipped from ZZF for 2 x 320GB 7200.11's should be pretty fast :D

[LYL]Homer;1032402753 said:

RAID0, the 4 drive array might be faster (slightly) for the tasks that RAID0 is good for. As for RAID 5, even with a dedicated controller write performance suffers a bit, because at any time it's writing to 2 disks, not just one.

That's not entirely true. Hard drives don't impact FPS at all. So if you are gaming a really fast disk subsystem is only an after thought if its' even a thought at all. Motherboards don't really have any bearing on speed. At least not directly. The main difference between a cheap board and an expensive one is features. Essentially your video card, memory (to some degree) and your processor are the only things that really make a huge difference in performance. Even then CPUs reach a point of diminishing returns.

So yeah you'll see machines with $1200 worth of video cards on a $130 motherboard with a $200 processor and a $100 (or less) PSU.

I understand what you mean, though at least for a PSU it affects it (stable current is a must), I think that if you're already spending $2000 on hardware, why not go the extra $200 and get a decent upgrade to those things as well? It just makes for a more solid build in general, though that doesn't mean FPS, and to me that doesn't matter. Not everything is about getting 1 more FPS in Crysis ;)

So who is going to mod their PS3 to accommodate one of these? Because that sounds like a hot idea.

Back