WD15EARS (1.5TB Green 5400rpm) $85 AR FS

Keep in mind this is the "advanced format" drive and XP users will have to jumper or run the util to align the sectors, or suffer a performance hit of huge proportions (from what I have heard).

God this is tempting....my WHS machine has less than 1TB of space left, and I'd like to mirror more of the data (though most of what's on their can easily be restored)....but I may wait, because prices seem to be falling.

Keep in mind this is the "advanced format" drive and XP users will have to jumper or run the util to align the sectors, or suffer a performance hit of huge proportions (from what I have heard).

I believe this is only needed for partitions and OS drives. Cause I didn't set them on my XP machine and it works fine. Although I might set it for kicks. Wonder if that will cause it to format anyone know?

God this is tempting....my WHS machine has less than 1TB of space left, and I'd like to mirror more of the data (though most of what's on their can easily be restored)....but I may wait, because prices seem to be falling.

Well screw it...I decided I couldn't wait. I still have all of my DVDs to rip to my HD...never mind my BDs. I need to get all those ST:TNG and DS9 Dvds on there. I'm past my 7 year moratorium on each Series, so it's time relive the wonders of a young Wesl....er Michael Moo...er um....Ronald Moore.

Thanks for the post OP......probably should buy a kilawatt from the egg so I can find out how much WHS costs to run 24x7.

Nice...I've been looking at picking up a 2TB of Amazon for a NAS...I could snag two of these....the mail in rebate is pretty nice...

My only question about these new drives is why are they so cheap? These new drives appear to be real bargains but I don't fully understand why they are cheaper in most cases then the drives they are replacing. There are some good sales on these new drives.

My only question about these new drives is why are they so cheap? These new drives appear to be real bargains but I don't fully understand why they are cheaper in most cases then the drives they are replacing. There are some good sales on these new drives.

My guess is it's because they don't work as well with pre-vista machines.

Back