Web Cam for Parents (technically challenged)

nubbin77

Limp Gawd
Hello, and thanks in advance for any help.

My parents live several states away and we have some kids that they would like to "see" more often. So we collectively thought webcams were a good idea. My requirements are as follows:

at least 640 by 480 resolution - 30fps (can anything more than that even be transmitted via cable modem?)
Has to be EXTREMELY easy to install.
Has to have minimal setup / software manipulation
Has to require very little fine tuning for day to day usage.
Has to have an easy way to connect to me.

As you can imagine, my 65 year old parents, while they can do most things on the computer competently, they are mostly limited to doing things they know how to. So I need to be able to give them a webcam that is EXTREMELY easy to use, or they will not set it up and they won't use it. I can walk them through stuff over the phone, but I'd rather not make it a 4 hour installation process I have to walk them through over the phone.

In any case knowing this, can anyone point me to a no fuss web cam I can get for me and my parents?

Logitech QuickCam Communicate MP. Easy to setup and easy to use. Good quality at a relatively low price.

Thank you both.

Logmein may be a little advanced right now, but it is a good suggestion.

If I have to go through too many steps, it will just put them off to the whole thing.

I leaning toward the Logitech Quickcam Communicate MP from the overall positive reviews, so that might be my choice. I just want to try to avoid having much problems on their end since its probably going to be about a year before I get down to their house again.

What I meant was YOU install it on their computer, they don't have to do a thing. It will let you control their PC from anywhere.

Back