Web Dev - simulate no connection

odoe

[H]F Junkie
Anyone know of an add-on (Chrome, FF, Opera, whatever) or tool that will allow me to simulate lost internet connection? I need to debug some scenarios in a web app when this could happen.

If I was only using local services, it wouldn't be much of an issue, I could just stop/start my server. But I need to access a couple of other ones too, capture when a connection has been lost and fallback to local storage. I was kind of hoping for a 1-click type solution in Chrome or FF, that would try to reroute through a bogus proxy maybe. Ideally I would like it to not impact other browsers and only the target browser.

I was kind of hoping someone here may have had a similar need and found a solution.
Thanks in advance for any guidance.

Would disabling your network device or turning off your wifi antenna work for what you are trying to test?

That would work from home, but was hoping for something simpler. I would have to reach around back of my work machine and unplug every time since it's still wired.

Best case scenario I can demo the situation over webex, but that's only best case. :p

You could possibly disable the device from the operating system, and save you from reaching around

Most browers have a "work offline" mode.

In Opera it's under the main menu -> settings -> work offline

Heh, totally forgot about that. Same for FF and IE. Nothing in Chrome, but that solution works perfect without add-ons.

Back