Website Configuration Project -- PRICING --

Jonz

Weaksauce
Hey guys --

I'm fresh out of College and am looking at doing various freelance tech jobs. As such, I'm not quite sure how to price them. The web designer provided me with a readme files in terms of configuration, it doesn't seem like it should be too hard.

There's a .ZIP file w/ web files, then a couple folders with SQL databases

Here's the readme file he gave me:

Code:
FOR THE ESTORE:
YOU NEED TO CHANGE THE CONFIGURE.PHP LOCATED: Amazon\store\includes TO THE SERVER SETTINGS OF YOUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY.

FOR THE GALLERY: (MAY NOT NEED TO BE CHANGED)
YOU NEED TO CHANGE THE CONFIGURE.PHP LOCATED: Amazon\ssp_director\config TO THE SERVER SETTINGS OF YOUR WEB HOSTING COMPANY.

FOR THE MAIN WEBSITE YOU NEED TO CHANGE 2 FILES:
DB_CONNECTION.ASP LOCATED IN: Amazon\inc
YOU NEED TO CHANGE THIS LINE ONLY** TO THE SERVER OF YOUR WEB HOSTING COMAPNY:
Source=G:\WEBSITES\Amazon\DB\aCMS.mdb"

'MS Access DB ===================================================================
'    where:
'    C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\data\aCMS\aCMS.mdb needs to be replaced with the full path and name of the Access database file.
'
Const dbConnectionStr = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=G:\WEBSITES\Amazon\DB\aCMS.mdb"  
Const databaseType = 1
'
'
'================================================================================

2ND FILE THAT NEEDS TO BE CHANGED AS ABOVE:
Amazon\cmsAdmin\inc
Source=G:\WEBSITES\Amazon\DB\aCMS.mdb"

'MS Access DB ===================================================================
'    where:
'    C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\data\aCMS\aCMS.mdb needs to be replaced with the full path and name of the Access database file.
'
Const dbConnectionStr = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=G:\WEBSITES\Amazon\DB\aCMS.mdb"  
Const databaseType = 1
'
'
'================================================================================

Any suggestions on how much I should charge for a job like this?

Thanks!

The hardest part of my job is estimating the effort required to do a job -- it's worse when I have to estimate the time for others.

My advice:

1) take the amount you think you'll need, and multiply it by 2 or 3 (probably 3 since you're fresh out of school and think you know everything :p j/k)

2) set an hourly rate for the work that is competitive, yet reasonable (you gotta get some experience before demanding big dollars)

3) write up a contract, and be extremely clear and concise about the deliverables... anything above and beyond the work outlined in the contract needs to be paid for seperately... oh yeah, make sure he/she signs it too. :)

All in all, just protect yourself, and don't work for free -- that's my advice.

Thanks for the feedback - I do appreciate it :D

I have an idea in my head in terms of how long it will take to setup, but I agree multiplying that by 2 or 3 is good -- there are a lot of variables in this. Perhaps I should just have her agree to an hourly rate to avoid these projections?

What is a fair hourly rate for this type of work? I'm leaning towards around $40 / hour, but I really don't know

Things will be pretty laid back on this job. It's a graduate student that I met through the department I worked for doing web design/etc who I will be working for -- it's an eStore for her Dad's company. This leads back to the hourly rate, I want to be sure I am fair with my estimate (while not cheating myself out of much needed cashflow ;)).

Good call on the Contract -- I will (hopefully) prepare such a contract this evening

On a side note:

Any other tips in terms of Web Design freelancing? I've been doing web design since I was 12, and have been actively working as a web designer for the past 4 years. I definitely know how to do this stuff, just not so sure on how to price it.

I have a feeling that if I price too low, people will equate that with lower quality. If I price it too high, then people will look elsewhere... it's hard to find that middle ground.

Cheers!

My biggest problem is always, how do I charge for something that only takes about 1/5th of my mental capacity? Yeah, the user would have never figured it out without the experience I've accumulated and sure it would cost them $100 if they had taken it to The Geek Squad or something. Still, charging people for computer related repairs and troubleshooting almost feels like charging people for playing video games.
I never charge for friends and family and second. I charge others a rate based on what they would have payed elsewhere, except I will ask for less than half.

I agree with you -- I have been running a PC repair business for 4+ years now, charging $40 per hour. If it were me, I'd never agree to pay that much for what I provide to my clients. However, most people aren't so technically inclined. From what I've seen, most of this stuff is beyond end-users, and they'd rather pay someone to take care of it for them.

This job is piddly low-level stuff -- I'm not arguing against that fact. However, it is because of the knowledge that you and I have gained that we are allowed the ability to charge a fair market rate.

The tricky part is finding the fair market value. What is this work worth?

You need to get comfortable for charging based on what you know and not how hard it is!

Ever read the story about the repair man who came in to fix this enormous very complicated machine, he studied it for a few minutes and then hit it and the machine was fixed. He then presented the owner a bill for $10000. when asked why so much for so little, he explained that knowng where to hit it was the trick, not hitting it. He charged $1 to hit it. and $9999. for knowing where.

I'd also consider open dialogue with the web designer, and simply asking what his budget is.

He got the contract, he needs work done, so you could always ask him what he's looking to spend. It's a good way to start an open relationship with someone who could potentially feed you additional work and future partnerships.

I charge $75/hour, $50 if you're a family / family of a close friend. Give or take.

Really, if you're comfortable charging $40/hour, than go for it. The real key is being confident in your price and your work. You have to portray to the client confidence, otherwise the project will go to shit. If you feel you're charging too much, it will show and your client will go somewhere else. The same applies for charging too little, except the client will think there's some sort of 'catch' and be reluctant. Or they'll nickel and dime you to death. But that whole topic really opens up a can of worms. There's so many different variables to consider - the biggest being the client themselves, and what type of clients you market yourself to.

They also have to feel that paying your rate is a value to them. That they are getting something worth the money. It's your job to make the client feel their getting value from your work (whether they actually are or not).

I'd suggest going to http://freelanceswitch.com and reading some of the articles there. They have excellent advice for everything from pricing, working from home, working with clients, and working on yourself (i.e.: making yourself a better freelancer).

Also, sometimes the blogs at http://sitepoint.com have some good articles about freelancing.

Hope that helps! And good luck!

Excellent advice guys! Thanks so much

http://freelanceswitch.com/ is EXACTLY what I've been looking for, I will definitely read through that site -- looks like really valuable info in there. Those job listings will be quite valuable, so far the jobs I have lined up are through previously established clients and Craigslist was providing so-so results.

A little back story: This is a grad student who I've worked with for years, which is why I decided to go for $40 per hour for this small job. It's her Dad's company, and I don't know the details but there was a bit of a 'falling out' with them and their web designer so I'm really just finishing the job he/she had already started

That's really good advice though in terms of determining rates: I'm not just selling this tech work, but selling my proficiency in completing these jobs... I will keep that in mind in the future

Here's an unrelated question, but it's been weighing in my mind fairly heavily:

What do you Freelancers do for Health Care? I'm a very healthy person, and haven't actually gone to the doctor in years but... I do realize that insurance is a pretty important thing to have. I just don't know if I can afford it.

Back