Weird 9800 (Pro?)

Nosferatu

n00b
Ok this is the situition that i hope someone knows about or has herd of i bought a 9800 to replace my geforce mx 440. I got it from ebay when it came i nicly put it in and it came up as a 9800 pro every ati util to identify it says its a 9800 pro but the only problem is it came clocked at the speed of a 9800 325/290 so i have overclocked it so far to 380/320 and its not even warm i am wondering is this a 9800 pro really and was just underclocked for some reason or is it just and odd 9800. Also is it normal for radeons with dual out put to show up as 2 video cards. Any help would be nice

O and hi all ive read this site alot just finnaly joined :cool:

It's prolly not detecting two cards but it is detecting 2 outputs.. Nothing strange there. The clock of 325 is strange to me. My 9800 pro is 380/340 out of the box, no oc involved.. Get the sn off of the card and look it up on google or @ati.. that will tell you whether it reely is a pro.

well i looked up the P/N according to ati is made by ati for dell and compaq but it still says 9800 according to ati while mine is saying 9800 pro and ive got the mem up to 324 which ive heard most 9800's wont because of the memory isnt great except for the first off the line. any ides still woudl help

If someone hasn't added mem H/S's to the card, get the EXACT data off one of the mem chips, and search them on Google. It should pull up a data sheet from the manufacturer, which will tell you the mem speed range etc. This may tell you what the card really is.

I will look up the chips them selves but probably later i was just thinking if this is a 9800 witha fluke of it showing up as a 9800 pro keeping it clocked at 380/320 i have done a little ocing but does anyone know how adversely this will effect the cards life span cause i dont really want to kill it too fast i spent 2 years with a geforce 4 mx440 cause im normally broke :p

thats how it has always been... 9800 np show up (use the same driver) as 9800 pros. And they both show two "cards" its just, like GORANKAR mentioned, its one "card" per output. That is why one says "- Secondary".

Nosferatu said:
I will look up the chips them selves but probably later i was just thinking if this is a 9800 witha fluke of it showing up as a 9800 pro keeping it clocked at 380/320 i have done a little ocing but does anyone know how adversely this will effect the cards life span cause i dont really want to kill it too fast i spent 2 years with a geforce 4 mx440 cause im normally broke :p

If it's not hot, and if it has no artifacts in games, I wouldn't worry about it at all. The risk goes up alot if you're v-modding the card, but with stock v I wouldn't worry at all.

well one little bit of q's and i should be able to leave this be what are people considering hot it seems to be hot to the touch but not burning but thats even at stock it doesnt change when oced do 9800s have a temp sensor on them cause the catalyst tray icon shows my res what looks to be a temp but its at 0 then my color. Also if i choose to add coling what do people suggest. Thanks for all the help

Nosferatu said:
well one little bit of q's and i should be able to leave this be what are people considering hot it seems to be hot to the touch but not burning but thats even at stock

It will be hot to the touch, for sure. Almost all computer components are hot to the touch. If it's not burning, you should be fine (I don't know the temp threshold for 9800s, but on GF 6800s 80c/176f is considered critical -- that'd give your finger a little tinge). ;)

As long as you are not getting artifacts after hours of gameplay, you are probably quite fine.

Also, please use punctuation.

Most card manufacturers equip the 9800np with black rectangular heatsinks on the core, while the 9800pros have rhombic-shaped silver-colored heatsinks or more advanced cooling solutions. There are a few exceptions (i.a. Powercolor 9800pro EZ 128-bit) but generally this makes it easy to distinguish between 9800np/pro.

My experience with oc'ing a 9800pro w/ R350 core indicates that artifacting becomes annoying at more than 5-7% oc settings, which is well below temperature-critical settings (15-20%), so I guess your card will do fine.

With all 9800s they all have the rhombas shaped silve sync. Also I belive all 9800s have 8 active piplines and 4 geometric renders.

(Rant) O and with punctuation you shouldent really complain. For me it was 1 am and id been up for 36 hours. Even still if its readable leave it be if its not people will learn when no one replys. (/End Rant)

Other then that you have all helped. Though I am gonna look for a cooling kit just in case

Diden't read the whole thread. Its a 9800NP flashed to a Pro.

Nosferatu said:
With all 9800s they all have the rhombas shaped silve sync.

The 9800 Pros have, the 9800 non-pros don't:

14-102-383-02.jpg

(SAPPHIRE RADEON 9800 Video Card, 256MB DDR)

Nosferatu, I'm not trying to be a grammar Nazi, but it'd be easier to read your posts if you used punctuation. It sounds to me like the card's BIOS has been flashed. Perhaps the person you bought it from flashed it to a Pro, but didn't want to sell it as "overclocked" or lie about it being a Pro, so he set the speeds back to 9800non-pro default. FYI, the only difference between non-Pro and Pro 9800's besides core and memory speeds are the default voltages.

This is my 1,024th post! Woot!

-SEAL

Well with what jon poasted my card looks nothing like that. Mine takes a molex not a floppy and I have the nice ati heat synce/fan. with the bios that would make sense except one thing. I use rage 3d for ocing and it has to raise the clock speed everytime I boot. I did it with ati tool rebooted and it was back to stock. Unless you all know a way to do it so it stays where its put everytime it doesnt quite fit.

Back