Weird behavior HD4870

80C is not uncommon for a 4870 (sadly). I'd try switching to some different driver versions and playing with the settings to see if there's any difference. Perhaps it's a shader setting?

If you go into control panel > display > appearance --- change "Windows and Buttons" to "Windows XP Style". Does it still do it?

did you just say your card IDLES at 80°C?! That's hot right there - what is your load temp? Does the fan kick in cooling it well?

I'm getting some kind of weird bars around folders and any windows really sometimes, mostly just after removing the screensaver. I'm using Catalyst 8.7, does anyone else experience this?

Here's the pic!
http://img166.imageshack.us/my.php?image=skumrambj4.jpg

My card idles at 80C but I don't think that's the problem.

I am pretty sure that if your card IDLES at 80 C you DO have a problem. At load that bad boy is probably going well over the recommended 105 C ( I believe it's 105 ). Have you done anything to the fan profile? Sounds to me like you haven't, or if you have, your card is defective and nees to be RMAed.

80c shouldn't be a worry. The 8.7 cat drivers come with really low fan speed setting. When I played games on this (only got my card 2 days ago), whilst it idled between 78-81 - load only ever went up to 83-85... Use the profile fix to set your fan speed. 30% is a good speed and knocks of almost 25C for me at idle to about 54C. Full load goes up to about 63-65C...

Not sure what the display problem is however.

If you go into control panel > display > appearance --- change "Windows and Buttons" to "Windows XP Style". Does it still do it?

I noticed today that it doesn't happen when you use the default "blue-ish" background, but if you change to black or yellow for example it happens again. Have yet to try new drivers though.

Would anyone else be willing to test if they unknowingly have the same problem? Setting the background color to black and enabling the screen saver for just a second before removing it?

EDIT: Guess I found the culprit! I disabled my second monitor, an LCD TV, and the problem went away. Also, it only does this when I choose "Extend Main onto monitor", the other modes work fine so I'm guessing it's definately a driver problem.

You still have a potential problem with those temps though. Change your fan profile or risk cooking your card prematurely. 80°C at idle is ridiculous. What the heck was Asus thinking?

Water cool that bad boy! Brings your idle temps to 30ish and never loads higher than 40c.

80C is generally fine for a GPU, that's not hot. Still, try fixing the fan profile and see if it changes anything. I would agree that it most likely is a driver issue. Do you get the problem at any time besides when you resume from screen saver?

My 4870 also idles at about 80 which is pretty sad imo. I wish some good silent 3rd party coolers would come out for the 4870's

80C is generally fine for a GPU, that's not hot. Still, try fixing the fan profile and see if it changes anything. I would agree that it most likely is a driver issue. Do you get the problem at any time besides when you resume from screen saver?

Sure it is fine for a GPU... if that is the load temp. Idling at 80 isn't per say bad, its the fact that it obviously goes much higher than 80 when under load.

Sure it is fine for a GPU... if that is the load temp. Idling at 80 isn't per say bad, its the fact that it obviously goes much higher than 80 when under load.
Actually it doesn't. The reason is under stock settings the fan actually ramps up when it goes under load; most cards load at about 85C. It's an efficient design, but I'd rather have the heat out of my case so I leave my fan on a quiet 30%.

80C is really only 176F... thats nothing too extreme for a chip. I get about that on my 8800GTS 512's with the laser pyrometer.

Back