Weird gaming video lag

D3viouz1

n00b
Specs are in my sig.(ok, not seeing my sig, so here they are: )

CPU: AMD FX-8350, 4200 MHz (21 x 200)
HSF: Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
MOBO: Asus Crosshair V Formula
RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti (2 GB)
System Drive: Kingston HyperX 3K SATAIII 120GB SSD
Data Drive: Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise
Power Supply: ENERMAX Maxrevo 1500W 80 PLUS GOLD(future 5+ disk stripe + 2x 7990s)

Weird, weird, weird issue i've had for a while now and i'm just plain stumped and hoping SOMEone can tell me something that might be of use.

In SOME games, like Eve, Counterstrike, anything from the total war series, Lineage 2, Sins of a solar empire and a few others I can pretty much play at the highest settings and never miss a beat. but on my desktop and other games like fallout 3, Mount & Blade, etc... not so much. I get this weird... what feels like... mouse lag(?) that makes them nearly unplayable even on the lowest settings possible.

ive done clean installs of win7 ult, win8 pro, and server 2012(yeah yeah, I know) and the problem follows in exactly the same manner. I've plugged my wired Logitech mouse into both a hub and directly to a rear usb port, messed with the DPI, replaced the mouse, checked my refresh rates(60), scoured the web and done literally everything I can think of or dig up online and nothing seems to help.

does anyone have ANY idea what I might be missing/doing wrong or even have a shot in the dark as to what might be happening or anything else I could do to troubleshoot this? its putting a serious damper on my gaming and im about ready to just chuck the box, monitor, mouse and keyboard out the window and start over so ANY ideas would be greatly appreciated. :(

I always thought it was the game processing your mouse cursor. Happens to me in Witcher 2. Though, not on my desktop...

DId you check mouse settings? Ya know polling rate, DPI, new mouse drivers or other mouse?

Onboard sound? Try disabling it (either by hardware or if there is command line for any of those games) and see if it resolves it.

What kind of mouse do you have? I think I had similar issues with wireless mice, or a mouse from Inland.

". but on my desktop and other games like fallout 3"

what do you mean by 'but on my desktop' ? windowed mode?

Fallout 3 is one of those infamous for 'mouse accelleration' issues Have you fixed that?

DId you check mouse settings? Ya know polling rate, DPI, new mouse drivers or other mouse?

yes.

Onboard sound? Try disabling it (either by hardware or if there is command line for any of those games) and see if it resolves it.

have not tried this. will do so momentarily.

What kind of mouse do you have? I think I had similar issues with wireless mice, or a mouse from Inland.

Logitech G300 wired. I absolutely detest wireless mice, too freakin heavy and they always pick the absolute worst times to run out of battery.

Vsync?

How long a lag are we talking about?

vsync off. just long enough to be a PITA. if I had to assign a number... maybe 1/4-1/2 of a second?

". but on my desktop and other games like fallout 3"

what do you mean by 'but on my desktop' ? windowed mode?

Fallout 3 is one of those infamous for 'mouse accelleration' issues Have you fixed that?

not in windowed mode, before the game is loaded which, to me, signals "not a game problem", but then when I load up Eve or one of the others I listed it plays great, which throws me for a loop. no, I haven't tried a mouse acceleration fix for fallout. I honestly haven't heard of it. I will dig for it shortly.

the part that is somewhat infuriating is that during one of my fits of irritation my fiancé asked what was wrong so I had her wiggle the mouse and she now thinks im crazy and that there is no issue. she seems to think it's in my head, but she has nothing to compare it to as she doesn't game and doesn't get how one can "get a feel" for a game so that when something like this happens it can really throw a wrench in everything.

anyway, thanks for the suggestions, I will go do those now and report back. :)

Disabled sound via "mmsys.cpl sounds". issue persists.

added

fForegroundMouseAccelBase=0
fForegroundMouseAccelTop=0
fForegroundMouseBase=0
fForegroundMouseMult=0

to my fallout.ini under "controls". issue persists.

so still a no go.

Any chance you might call your situation a "stutter" or you might consider it to be choppy?

Does it suddenly slow down, or does it seem to "chug" consistently? Can you FRAPS a video for us to see? You've got a beefy enough CPU to easily take a FRAPS video that would capture the issue happening if it stutters in the slightest.

interesting. normally, no. however, in fallout new vegas, I did notice some pretty serious stuttering while in the bar strafing while focusing on Trudy. I have to leave in a while for an open house for my sons school, but I will certainly be able to make a fraps of it when I get back.

What's your FPS at when you are noticing the stuttering? Use fraps FPS monitor.

Sounds good man, lookin forward to the vid! Also, we need to know what drivers you are using and what revision numbers they are for your GPU. I can search through logs on those drivers to see if anything might cross apply to the issue you are having.

vid is uploading, said it'll be a half hour or so but that it should be available here when complete.:
http://youtu.be/fsSpaFBYUS0

driver info from dxdiag:

Driver Name: nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um
Driver File Version: 9.18.0013.2049 (English)
Driver Version: 9.18.13.2049
DDI Version: 11
Feature Levels: 11.0,10.1,10.0,9.3,9.2,9.1
Driver Model: WDDM 1.2
Graphics Preemption: DMA
Compute Preemption: DMA
Driver Attributes: Final Retail
Driver Date/Size: 6/21/2013 05:06:36, 15144928 bytes

not sure how to get the revision numbers of the gpu.

so on my way out the door someone knocked so my dummy dog went flying out to bark at them and her tail caught my mouse cable, yanked the usb hub down and the keyboard receiver hit the floor breaking it. I had to go to best buy and get a replacement. this seems to have helped the issue a bit though not completely. its still almost as laggy but the stuttering has gotten somewhat better though it is still present to some extent as youll see in the vid. I get a steady 60 fps with fraps running pretty much no matter what im doing.

also, you can kind of tell the effect the lag has by the crosshair on Trudy. I can typically keep the crosshair on the stationary target during a strafe no problem. the lag is what is causing the variance.

Last edited:
honestly? the stuttering I can kinda live with. its the lag itself that's making me nuts. if I had a larger SSD then that wouldn't be an issue at all, but I don't so... yeah. and besides, I used to play on a much worse machine than I have now and I never had these issues. add that to it effecting my desktop as well and... wtf?

as for the ramdisk, ive never used it before but after reading up on it a bit, I don't see why that would be a problem. its not like I ever use the 32GB other than for VMs when im running a lab for work or something. hmm. maybe i'll give that a shot. ty for the tip.

Last edited:
not in windowed mode, before the game is loaded which, to me, signals "not a game problem", but then when I load up Eve or one of the others I listed it plays great, which throws me for a loop. no, I haven't tried a mouse acceleration fix for fallout. I honestly haven't heard of it. I will dig for it shortly.

I don't understand. Is it before a game is loaded, like you try to load a game? and then you see it? And then the game loads up?

I was under the impression that it was just desktop and nothing else (as in no games).

I don't understand. Is it before a game is loaded, like you try to load a game? and then you see it? And then the game loads up?

I was under the impression that it was just desktop and nothing else (as in no games).

nope. happens on my desktop and with certain games like Fallout 3. with other games though like Eve, everything seems fine. response is fluid and exact, which is precisely why im so confused about the whole thing. I guess a better way to put it is that its the default state. the only time it changes is when I load Eve and some others.

Did you try MarkC mouse fix?

just applied it. doesn't really seem to have helped much but certainly worth a shot.

I see you're using a g300. A quick google search shows that people have had mouse lag with it. But, before you veer off in another direction, have you tried using that mouse on another PC or used a different mouse on your current one?

yes on both counts.

am currently installing F3 new vegas ultimate on a 16GB ramdrive. stunning how big games are these days.

You could try HPET , make sure it's enabled in the bios then in windows in cmd type in: bcdedit /set useplatformclock true Then find and download wintimer tester to test if it works or try the game you had problems with to see if latency issues are resolved

ok well, just tested new vegas in the ramdrive and I honestly notice no difference. still very stuttery in places, possibly more so, though i'm not sure how that makes any sense, and the mouse-lag continues. I have NO idea what HPET is and i'm far too tired to research it tonight, have to work tomorrow so either way it'll have to wait. but, thanks for yet another suggestion that I hadn't run into previously.

What do you have open a running in the background while gaming? Sometime ago I noticed having a browser open while playing FO3: GOTY edition that it caused the game to stutter like mad (Other games ran fine). I literally almost rebuilt my system one time over the issue because I could not pin it down. Then one morning I was playing FO3 (with nothing running) and it was fine, ran great, which really sent for a loop because the problem seemed to have gone away, then I alt+tab to check something on the internet, went back in game and noticed the stutter. I alt+tab again and shut down Chrome and ta-da, it was gone.

Since it is only effecting some games and not others is had to be an environment issue.

First of all, Fallout 3 and NV have notoriously bad mouse lag, as well as engines that are a stuttery mess.

For the mouse lag, the only solution is to disable vsync, but you have to limit your FPS (use nvidia Inspector, Evga Precision X, etc) to set it somewhere around 58-65fps. If you go higher the physics engine / timing system in-game goes totally wonky.

Well, you can keep vsync enables and just keep the FPS limited to 58 (or 70 or whatever is just below your monitor's refresh rate.) I always get a regular "microstutter" every second or so when I do this.

so on my way out the door someone knocked so my dummy dog went flying out to bark at them and her tail caught my mouse cable, yanked the usb hub down and the keyboard receiver hit the floor breaking it. I had to go to best buy and get a replacement. this seems to have helped the issue a bit though not completely. its still almost as laggy but the stuttering has gotten somewhat better though it is still present to some extent as youll see in the vid. I get a steady 60 fps with fraps running pretty much no matter what im doing.

Connect your mouse directly to your desktop, instead of the shitty best buy hub.

What do you have open a running in the background while gaming? Sometime ago I noticed having a browser open while playing FO3: GOTY edition that it caused the game to stutter like mad (Other games ran fine). I literally almost rebuilt my system one time over the issue because I could not pin it down. Then one morning I was playing FO3 (with nothing running) and it was fine, ran great, which really sent for a loop because the problem seemed to have gone away, then I alt+tab to check something on the internet, went back in game and noticed the stutter. I alt+tab again and shut down Chrome and ta-da, it was gone.

Since it is only effecting some games and not others is had to be an environment issue.

can't really say but i'm about 90% sure that at some point, probably after the restart from installing ramdrive, that I ran the game without a browser open. but just to be sure i'll make a point of trying that.

First of all, Fallout 3 and NV have notoriously bad mouse lag, as well as engines that are a stuttery mess.

For the mouse lag, the only solution is to disable vsync, but you have to limit your FPS (use nvidia Inspector, Evga Precision X, etc) to set it somewhere around 58-65fps. If you go higher the physics engine / timing system in-game goes totally wonky.

Well, you can keep vsync enables and just keep the FPS limited to 58 (or 70 or whatever is just below your monitor's refresh rate.) I always get a regular "microstutter" every second or so when I do this.

THIS sounds promising though I disabled vsync when I dropped the settings to low initially. i'm at work at the moment but i'll most assuredly give the rest a shot when I get home. it seems to be the most logical explanation ive heard yet for why this could be happening.

That looks a bit like the stutter issues I used to have.
Give this a try - download the RivaTuner RTSS program: http://www.guru3d.com/files_details/rtss_rivatuner_statistics_server_download.html

This program will allow you to set a hard cap on your FPS, which is what used to be the problem I had. Just set it to 60 (or whatever your refresh rate is) and see if that clears things up.

same as above.

Connect your mouse directly to your desktop, instead of the shitty best buy hub.

that's one of the first things I tried as I said in the OP.

It's been a while since I've used AMD CPU's but the last time I did there were a ton of cycle stepping issues around the same timeframe that M&B and FO3 came out. There was a patch I needed to install to resolve the issue. Should be able to find references to it through google. I am at work or I'd do it for you.

Also, in the nVidia driver, it may help to set 'Max frames ahead' to 1 and to verify there are no application profiles set for your games that have a very high anti-aliasing setting enabled.

The only other thing I can think of is possibly to set up MSI after burner and ensure that your gfx card is scaling up to the clocks that it's supposed to be when running those older games.

Best of luck!

THIS sounds promising though I disabled vsync when I dropped the settings to low initially. i'm at work at the moment but i'll most assuredly give the rest a shot when I get home. it seems to be the most logical explanation ive heard yet for why this could be happening

Just keep in mind the vsync option in the FO3 config tool thing doesn't actually do anything. You have to force it off in the driver profile.

What resolution are you running at? Secondly are gyour motherboard drivers up to date? And lastly enterprise drives act wonky at times when being used for gaming rigs. Did you try running fallout off your ssd yet? If not give that a whirl.

Did you restart your computer?

yessir

It's been a while since I've used AMD CPU's but the last time I did there were a ton of cycle stepping issues around the same timeframe that M&B and FO3 came out. There was a patch I needed to install to resolve the issue. Should be able to find references to it through google. I am at work or I'd do it for you.

Also, in the nVidia driver, it may help to set 'Max frames ahead' to 1 and to verify there are no application profiles set for your games that have a very high anti-aliasing setting enabled.

The only other thing I can think of is possibly to set up MSI after burner and ensure that your gfx card is scaling up to the clocks that it's supposed to be when running those older games.

Best of luck!

certainly worth a shot. still at work myself actually.

Just keep in mind the vsync option in the FO3 config tool thing doesn't actually do anything. You have to force it off in the driver profile.

I was not aware of that. will do when I get home, among other things :)

What resolution are you running at? Secondly are gyour motherboard drivers up to date? And lastly enterprise drives act wonky at times when being used for gaming rigs. Did you try running fallout off your ssd yet? If not give that a whirl.

1) started out as usual at 1920x1080, but when I noticed the issues I dropped it as low as I could, 1100 something, don't really remember offhand but it was definitely low. I also lowered every setting I could find while I was at it just to see if the issue went away completely and it didn't.
2) yes, I believe so.
3) no, not enough room on it but I did try the ramdrive idea and that didn't do anything.

sorry for the delayed report, when I got home wednesday I found that my ISP was down and for the last two days ive been working my normal 10 hour shift plus 2-3 hours of OT. by the time ive been getting home ive been too tired and too cranky to worry about it. Saturday night, depending on what time I get off, i'll probably dig back into it unless ive been running around with my hair on fire like I have been for the past few days.

anyway, I just wanted to say thank you to those who have bothered to give me suggestions as well as assure you that I will be reporting back, not simply to let you know what worked and what didn't but also for whoever may run across this thread who may be having the same issue im having... whatever it may be.

again, thanks for both your input and your patience.

in closing I have 3 words.

Trail. Of. Pee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWfph3iNC-k

Back