Weird Problems and blue screens

Mnx4

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey. So for the last month, my computer has been messing up pretty bad. When I use something like photoshop or pinnacle, it would shut down. I found that making it work only on one processor helped, but not all the time. Then recently, I started getting bluescreens. So I put my computer back to stock speeds, 200fsb. Got a blue screen last week and ran a chkdsk /r and found that a system file was corrupted, so i replaced it. Then yesterday, it crashed when I was playing DOD and I did the same routine and no corrupt file could be found. I tried reinstalling windows over the installation i already had and it would freeze at 13 mins while registering components.
Then I took out one of my sticks of ram because i thought that might be the problem. Then it started to give me errors at the 34 minute mark. This was the point that windows kept asking for the networking controller drivers twice and then asked if I should continue installing the nonWHQL drivers for my 7800. I'd get an error message that the java packages could not be installed.
So I quick formatted and lost most of my damn papers. I reinstalled and it looked like it was going perfectly. then I get an error message that it can't install the System. I don't even know how that is possible. I got that install to work for a while, and then i get an error message saying that pci.sys is corrupted. I copied that to my hard drive and it would get to the windows loading screen and just hang. So I did another friggin quick format. I've been taking things slow now and my only problem is that one of the drivers for my network controller won't install because "The Inf does not match the style of the driver that was requested" or something to that effect.
What could have caused all this? Bad Ram? Shitty hard drive? My main hard drive is an 80gb sata maxtor if that helps. Any ideas?

Yeah, bad Ram or a failing HD could cause those issues.

Have you done any testing/swapping yet?

A bad PS could also cause those issues.

What did the BSOD's say? Most of the time I write them down and look it up on the MS knowledgebase. I usually am able to diagnose the problem after that. Good luck! :D

Yeah you need to read what the BSOD screen says to learn what the cause is. My latest system would BSOD; reporting a problem with nvtcp.sys. So I googled "nvtcp.sys bsod" and learned that it was a common problem when running the nVidia Network Access Management firewall. So I uninstalled that and have not seen a BSOD since.

I notice in your sig that you have a nForce4 board...
Other problems reported with nForce boards are related to nVidia's IDE drivers. The IDE drivers (like the firewall) are an optional part of the nForce driver instal process. If your problems are related to HDD, and you are using nVidia IDE drivers, you might want to roll them back to using Microsoft's default IDE drivers.

Thanks for the replies.
See, I usually would write them down, but they were so quick that I'd see a blue flash and then the restart screen.
And I am using the nvidia ide drivers. Is there any place where I can get the microsoft original drivers?
If it's the ram, should i just run memtest for 24 hours?

Just go into device manager and rollback your drivers. I'm pretty sure that defaults to the MS drivers. If you think its the memory, I would run memtest, its always good to at least check. Good luck.

Back