Weird XP problem (8800GTS, e6400)

kaluminati

Gawd
So I recently upgraded cpu to this one, with a Asus p5b mobo.

C2D e6400
Corsair XMS DDR5400 (667) 4-4-4-12 2GB 1gbx2
Athena Power 550Watt psu
x-fi platinum
raptor 74GB - windows drive
evga 8800GTS (not oc'd)

I have been overclocking my cpu, maxium up to 3.2ghz and it's was running fine. I ran memtest a bunch of times and no errors.

So my problem is: At random, or sometimes all the time, xp will start acting retarded. Like I'll have one instance of FF open with maybe 3 tabs, and windows explorer open. When it starts to flip out, I can't right click, I can't open task manager and all I get is the error noise, nothing comes up. I also can't open any new programs and I get the error beep when trying to do that. Sometimes I'll try to open a video, and the program (vlc) will come up half way, and I can't see the video, but hear the sound. To fix it, I have to close FF and windows explorer, then it's back to normal. I've only had ONE blue screen because of this, and it's happened numerous times. This is on a fresh install of XP, and I scanned for spyware/viruses etc. I returned my cpu/ram to stock speeds, still same deal. Ran memtest again, no problems. The temps are fine and below average, since I keep my room cold (35-40 idle for the CPU). I've raised/lowered temps on my Ram and cpu, and updated the bios. My vid card is and chipset have up to date drivers etc etc.

Games run absolutely fine. I've played WoW for 6 hours with no issues whatsoever, besides the weird FF/explorer issues I have while trying to browse while playing.

I'm going to format again and reinstall, but I'm thinkin that it might not help.

Does anyone think my PSU is not enough for this system? I'd think not, but maybe someone else has tried/has a similar setup.

Only thing I can think of, is possibly a corrupt windows install, bad memory even though it tests fine/games run fine, or I'm in need of a more powerful PSU, which seems unlikely since games run perfect. Or perhaps a corrupt FF install that's conflicting with Explorer.

If anyone has any ideas, or has experienced a similar issue, please help me out here, I'm scared I have a bad part in this new system =( Thanks.

Since that CPU is set to run at 2.13 Ghz and you OCed it over 1 Ghz i would be suspect of your CPU. I think your CPU was fine to run what you where running even with out OCing it.

(edit) do you have another CPU to replace that one to test your rig to eliminate any thoughts that the CPU is at fault?

Since that CPU is set to run at 2.13 Ghz and you OCed it over 1 Ghz i would be suspect of your CPU. I think your CPU was fine to run what you where running even with out OCing it.

(edit) do you have another CPU to replace that one to test your rig to eliminate any thoughts that the CPU is at fault?

Sounds kind of odd that it would be the cpu seeing as numerous people have gotten it over 3.2 without many problems, and my temps have been amazingly low, and kept at stock voltage. I don't have another cpu =(

I'm running at stock speeds etc, we'll see how things go.

Sounds kind of odd that it would be the cpu seeing as numerous people have gotten it over 3.2 without many problems, and my temps have been amazingly low, and kept at stock voltage. I don't have another cpu =(

I'm running at stock speeds etc, we'll see how things go.

Thosed speeds dont sound way out of bounds im jsut saying that you always take a riks with OCing and if there was damage then goign back to stock speeds may not resolve the issue. Best way to test, IMHO, is to swap CPU and test it out.

As you are having issues in random apps is why i think this. if it was just games with high FPS and lots of load i would look else where but as FF should not be a high load app it sounds like you are having a issue with a core component. I could be wrong though, im just guessing

Back