Weirdest problem ever...

OpStar

Gawd
I bought a 22" BenQ LCD yesterday.

I attempted to hook it up via DVI just like my old 19" was hooked up. When I turned on my computer I was greeted with a black screen and no input detected.

So I tried another comp I have here with a 19" running through DVI and the same result.

Frustrated, I switched to the VGA input and to my surprise the monitor booted up just fine.

I of course don't want to use this monitor with the analog connection so I went into my ATi CCC and saw the detect monitor thing.

I then plugged in the dvi cable to my monitor and to my surprise it showed up. I was able to switch from the vga to the dvi connection in windows just fine and my driver showed both an analog and digital display hooked up.

Excited... I rebooted... to the same problem. So I couldn't figure out wtf was wrong. So I once again disconnected the DVI cable... and promptly loaded into windows.

Doing the same routine again it was once again recognized digitally and this time I uninstalled the analog version of the monitor and disconnected the vga cable and restarted...

To yet another black screen.

Any ideas why this monitor won't boot into windows via the dvi connection?

I of course called Benq and they told me to exchange it and hung up. Sigh.

x850xt agp and Windows XP home.

Fresh install, newest drivers.

Seems to be a driver problem. ATI is totally the reason. I use to have an ATI card and it wouldn't recognize my DVI connection if I have the VGA connection along with the DVI connected. I mean there's nothing wrong with your monitor since it also happen to your 19" monitor. Gotta be your video card driver. Also make sure if you have another DVI cable to test it out to make sure if it's not the cable but I doubt it. Try looking for another ATI driver instead of the catalyst driver.

Make sure to uninstalled your driver and reboot and reinstalled it and reboot. Make sure to install what is recommended on ATI site.

Do you have an up to date Windows Xp SP2 installed??

Problem was the card, apparantly it didn't like the monitor. I took it back to Best Buy and they let me exchange it for a 7800GS, lol.

Came home, installed the 7800 and presto, DVI works fine.

Looks great too :)

There has been on ongoing saga of these problems reported in these forums. I have the same problem too with my 20.1" Viewsonic VP201s LCD. My Dell 3007WFP, and my Viewsonic VX2025wm both work just fine.

The same thing seems to happen to people at random. There is someone else on here with a 30" Dell monitor and it doesn't work for him. In all of our cases, the monitors work fine as long as you aren't running the ATi drivers. The minute you load them and do your initial reboot, the monitor will stop working. In all of our cases, analog mode works fine. Of course with the Dell 3007WFP, analog mode isn't an option.

Back