Well I made my decision ACD 20" **Pics**

DemisE

Limp Gawd
Well I was debating between the Dell 2005FPW and the ACD 20".

Chose to get the ACD becuase of all the problems that members have been having with Dell and I got a good Employee Purchase Discount on the Apple as well.

Pics.

DSC02074.sized.jpg

DSC02077.sized.jpg

Higher Res Pics Can Be Found Here

i would have sex with that monitor

i have been kicked out of an apple store for unzipping my pants...

shocksyde said:
i would have sex with that monitor

i have been kicked out of an apple store for unzipping my pants...

Hahahahaha.... good one and nice ACD droooollll

Very nice! I've been looking at purchasing one of these monitors for myself.

I looked at one the other day and thought it was nice but I couldn't figure out how to adjust anything on it other then the brightness. Is it possible to adjust the color levels like on other monitors or are you stuck with it like that out of the box?

I have the same monitor and you can only adjust brightness on it, but with DVI, most any monitor will block out nearly all settings. Color and scaling can be adjusted in the drivers (in my case forceware). As for scaling I did 1:1 and left everything else default. I had the Dell 2005 before this and didn't have to change anything but the brightness on it either when connected via DVI. It's not a major drawback if your video card supports such things in software.

Equalizer said:
Very nice! I've been looking at purchasing one of these monitors for myself.

I looked at one the other day and thought it was nice but I couldn't figure out how to adjust anything on it other then the brightness. Is it possible to adjust the color levels like on other monitors or are you stuck with it like that out of the box?

One thing to note is that I can see my PC POST.

I can adjust what is called Digital Vibrance as well as other brightness settings.

Brightness
Contrast
Gamma
Image Sharpening

awesome, i was actually looking into an acd but i didnt know if they used that special all in one cable. How did you get it to work with a pc? please give me a link to where you got any kind of adapter and info because i think im going to get one. Also have you noticfed any backlight issues or anything? thats why i returned my dell 2005fpw.

shadylx said:
awesome, i was actually looking into an acd but i didnt know if they used that special all in one cable. How did you get it to work with a pc? please give me a link to where you got any kind of adapter and info because i think im going to get one. Also have you noticfed any backlight issues or anything? thats why i returned my dell 2005fpw.

The new Apple Cinema Displays use standard DVI, so theres no longer any need for and ADC adapters. Also, the Apple displays are much less prone to any backlighting/dead pixel issues than their Dell counterparts.

GeniusInABottle said:
The new Apple Cinema Displays use standard DVI, so theres no longer any need for and ADC adapters. Also, the Apple displays are much less prone to any backlighting/dead pixel issues than their Dell counterparts.
good stuff, thats what i recently read on the apple site and forums. I think imm gonna purchase one tommorow with my student discount. $899 isnt all that bad and its performs way better than the dell, its worth $320 more than i paid for the dell.

ramuman said:
I have the same monitor and you can only adjust brightness on it, but with DVI, most any monitor will block out nearly all settings. Color and scaling can be adjusted in the drivers (in my case forceware). As for scaling I did 1:1 and left everything else default. I had the Dell 2005 before this and didn't have to change anything but the brightness on it either when connected via DVI. It's not a major drawback if your video card supports such things in software.

So what happen whan you touch the power button on your ACD? How do you power off just the display?
What Graphic card are you using?

DemisE said:
One thing to note is that I can see my PC POST.

I can adjust what is called Digital Vibrance as well as other brightness settings.

Brightness
Contrast
Gamma
Image Sharpening

What card are you using? Anyone using 6600GT AGP with ACD and can see POST?
What is this " Digital Vibrance"? Where do you get it?
I read from Apple that ACD 23" has a great deal of problems, does your 20" show any of these when look up close?
http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.68992154

tfs said:
So what happen whan you touch the power button on your ACD? How do you power off just the display?
What Graphic card are you using?

The power to the monitor goes off
BFG 6800GT

tfs said:
What card are you using? Anyone using 6600GT AGP with ACD and can see POST?
What is this " Digital Vibrance"? Where do you get it?
I read from Apple that ACD 23" has a great deal of problems, does your 20" show any of these when look up close?
http://discussions.info.apple.com/[email protected]@.68992154

It is a setting in the properties of the video card
I have not seen any of those problems that are listed on those forums

DemisE said:
The power to the monitor goes off
BFG 6800GT

I heard that on some 23" ACD, the power button does not turn off the display...
So, you can get your card to set at the native resoltuon of the 20" ACD? That is 1680x1050. Cause I check on my Nvidia, it doesn't come with that screen resolution.

tfs said:
I heard that on some 23" ACD, the power button does not turn off the display...
So, you can get your card to set at the native resoltuon of the 20" ACD? That is 1680x1050. Cause I check on my Nvidia, it doesn't come with that screen resolution.

It's the same res the Dell uses. Most if not all video cards made in the last few years will support that as a desktop res (it's actually less pixels than 1600x1200), but you need to install a .inf file from a monitor supporting it before it'll show up. As far as I understand, this is "protection" so that you don't dial in a resolution higher than your display can support and blank your screen. You'd be unable to change it back to a visible res (because you can't see what you're doing) without plugging in a monitor that can handle the selected resolution or (fortunately) booting into safe mode which has some low default res for compatibility reasons. I've run into this a couple times when for whatever reason I've had to hook up a monitor that does not support the resolution or refresh settings I have selected and I forget to change it before I shut down the box.

so does the apple give you the 1680x1050 option in the settings or do you manually have to configure it to work with that res? it workeed automatically with the dell i got.

i have one ,too

you have problems with games?

medal of honor , half life 2...

i have problems with PES4 ( konami's ps2 port game) and in my past twent i can play at 1200x1024 but in ACD not

wht can i do?

I installed the nVidia forceware drivers again after connecting the monitor, but this was after a format so I'm not sure if this was needed to get it working. The 2005 I had before my ACD came with a CD that I had to install to get 1680x1050.

ye ai can go to 1680 but some games not have this option... or yes?

my ACD not came with cd

this is the problem?

Just go to www.widescreengamingforum.com/forum and look up the particular game you want to play. They will give you info how to edit some .ini's, etc. to get your games to work at native 1680x1050. On my POS 2005 FPW (before I returned it) I had Medal of Honor (3 varieties), Call of Duty, Doom3, HL2, Postal 2, and UT2004 working flawlessly at 1680x1050.

thanks

whats the best drivers for 16:9

well any apple driver for pc? anybody can send me?

AcUaViVa said:
thanks

whats the best drivers for 16:9

well any apple driver for pc? anybody can send me?
There are no drivers for the PC. That's one of the downsides of buying an Apple-specific product. No drivers, no hardware or software controls for anything but brightness, unless you use your video card's sliders, but then it's not "really" adjusting anyway.

Back