Went from Antec 900 to CM Cosmos

Be prepared to put some time and $$ into the cosmos if you get one. It's definitely not ready to go out of the box. At least not for most people. I will say, though, I'm glad I have one!

Excellent post. I finally found a good cosmos thread. I was immediately in awe at the case's looks and space, but once the hardware was in the temps were hot. At stock "everything," temps were idling at:

CPU / GPU / System
50 / 58 / 28

I know, I know. I reseated the heatsink (Zalman, 9500) with some arctic silver 5 and directed exhaust towards the top, instead of rear. CPU temp dropped to ~42 C. I installed an extra 80 mm fan pointed at the VGA card which lowered the GPU to ~52. Also removed the sound-proof foam, but not sure if that helped performance (it's definitely louder).

Im really not happy with the temps so far. I plan to replace two of my stock fans. Which fans should I replace...intake plus exhaust? or both exhaust? I think the former since I don't subscribe entirely to the negative pressure concept. I remove the side panel and the temps drop over 5 degrees.

Btw, I'm running a Q6600.

i changed pretty much all the fans except one roof exhaust, i also took out the bottom HD racks and cable tied a CM fan in there, dosnt move much air but enough to cool the HD's. why did you put a 80mm in the bottom:confused:

why did you turn the cooler to point to the top? i have mine pointing to the rear exhaust and have no problems.

i would change the intake and exhaust thats sucking the air outa your cooler, so top rear i would imagine. but get some decent CFM fans, your probably having heat issues cause your using the crappy stock fans.
Q600 aswell

stock fans are always crap in general but lets be honest. using stock fans on say a p180 or even the lian li a70 wont give u any heat issues weather with cosmos u will get issues.

like the above guy said, prepare to spend some time and money getting the right temps on this case. i rather buy a case where stock cools my hardware well with the option to make it cooler by spending more time and money on it just incase i OC.

Be prepared to put some time and $$ into the cosmos if you get one. It's definitely not ready to go out of the box. At least not for most people. I will say, though, I'm glad I have one!

Which Cosmos case are you talking about the 1000 or the 1010 other than the case fans not cooling enough ? LED wiring issues or something else ? The 1010 has the side panel cooling fan, and understand better fans all around would be better, but anything else to be conserned about ?

Thanks

Which Cosmos case are you talking about the 1000 or the 1010 other than the case fans not cooling enough ? LED wiring issues or something else ? The 1010 has the side panel cooling fan, and understand better fans all around would be better, but anything else to be conserned about ?

Thanks

not realy. the only thing to be concerned about is the cooling performance and IMO its one of the most important factors of buying a case. you dont want to buy a case with bad air flow dont you ;)

SR45:
Im working with the 1000 model. I didn't see the 1010 when I was looking, but now that I have the 1000 I would have spent an additional $50 for the side vent. I'm not very handy with a saw or drill. :mad: My cables are tucked away pretty well, but certainly not as well as xp's.

One other minor issue is my PSU has no intake, just exhaust. So the case is not utilizing the intake vent directly underneath the PSU. I think it would help clear some of the hot air built up between the PSU and GPU. Comments?

Ru:
Thanks for the suggestions. Would you mind reporting your heatsink/temps?

I had an extra 80mm fan lying around so I put that in to see how it would affect my temps. I think ANY additional fan would help. I placed the fan in the top left hard drive mount pointed towards the VGA card as I felt that would be the most effective position. I think by doing that I get (a little) additional airflow over the HDs, but it cools the GPU considerably.

As for pointing the cooler to the top...I thought about it and thought about it, and ultimately I have no good reason for doing so. Maybe I was thinking "negative pressure," heat rises to the top. But I think it might even be better to place it towards the rear. That way, the cooler would not be pulling the warm air from the SPP (northbridge?) fan.

I can afford two fans. I will definitely replace the intake.

not realy. the only thing to be concerned about is the cooling performance and IMO its one of the most important factors of buying a case. you dont want to buy a case with bad air flow dont you ;)
The case has potential for great airflow. They aimed for slience so it was fitted with slow, quiet but wimpy fans. I just ordered a couple of Panaflow FBA12G12M1BX fans, one for the bottom intake and one for the rear exhaust. Hopefully I can raise my OC back up to 3.6Ghz, although I also just ordered a second GTX so I don't know how that will affect my case temps. The intake is pointed towards the video cards and there aren't any sources of heat in that area so the cards should be getting cool air. Since the front drive bays are perforated and a good deal of air moves through there, the rear exhaust fan should move that cool air over the CPU HS/F which directs air in the same direction as well. I'm constantly cleaning dust of the bay covers. Hopefully this works out ok.

To be honest, as hot as the exhaust gets it never feels hot when I stick my hand inside the case so I think the stock fans are doing their job but just not fast enough when the loads get too high but it's definately not an oven on the inside.

The case has potential for great airflow.

I agree entirely. Plus, have you seen how sexy the case is?! That was the main selling point for me. Based on a lot of people's reports, just replace the case fans and you should be in good shape. My problem is I don't have those fans yet and I'm trying to squeeze every last bit of performance out of my system.

Noticed many cases have lousy fans and upgrades are always a good thing. Thanks for the update. Really like the Cosomos case and will get one as soon as the 1010 model dropes in price.

I agree entirely. Plus, have you seen how sexy the case is?! That was the main selling point for me. Based on a lot of people's reports, just replace the case fans and you should be in good shape. My problem is I don't have those fans yet and I'm trying to squeeze every last bit of performance out of my system.
Good airflow is very important but for a case like the Cosmos you can end up spending quite a few bucks on quality fans for it. I guess if you go cheap and get ball bearing whiner fans you can get a set of four for about $25 but good >80CFM at 35dba fans will run ya $13-16 a piece. I'm thinking about getting some deadening material for the bottom of the case, there are areas that could be covered but aren't. Overall the case is pretty quiet.

My first two fans are at the UPS office along with my second GTX, I'm on my way to get them. Woohoo!! And you are absolutely right, that case is damn sexy!

what fans did you go with, and once you have them fitted can you let us know about noise. i have some sharkoon fans in mine but they spin at 2k RPM so i get a little bit of noise.

what fans did you go with, and once you have them fitted can you let us know about noise. i have some sharkoon fans in mine but they spin at 2k RPM so i get a little bit of noise.
I went with Panaflo FBA12G12M1BX rebranded as Rexus NMB-MATfrom Newegg. These are HydroWave fans, 3 pin 2100rpm 35dba and they supposedly push 86 CFM. I just got back from UPS, the driver didn't put my box aside so they spent 20min digging mine out of the pile. I'll give y'all my subjective opinion after installation after I finish jumping for joy becuase 1) I got my stuff 2) Apple released a Vista 64bit compatible version of iTunes so now I don't have to use VMWare to sync my iPod touch (slowly) 3) They have apps available for the iPod Touch (We get maps!!!).

Ok, the fans definately move a lot of air, by themselves they aren't terribly loud, but two of them in the case and you can hear the turbulence. Damn, two GTX's are loud as fuck. It's no where near as annoying as the thermaltakes in my CoolerMaster Wavemaster but it's very noticeable now. The stock fans just whirred. Exhaust air is cooler. The computer as a whole measured 52db on my rat shack digital spl meter at about 4ft from the computer. 6in from the rear gave a measurement of about 58db.

So, it's not annoying but it is no longer quiet and I kinda got used to that. Now time to play with SLI.

The Scythe KAMA BAY SCKB-1000WH seems like a great solution for my CPU cooling.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185019

It occupies three 5.25" bays (I only have one optical drive). The fan intake is in the front-middle of the case pointed dirctly at the CPU. In a straight line, the heatsink pulls that cool air over the memory and CPU then out the back. I would definitely want to replace the factory exhaust fan.

For the VGA card and PSU, I'm thinking cut the side panel and put an exhaust fan?

The case would then have two isolated cooling paths, one for CPU and the other for graphics.

Just noticed that the CPU power cable from the power supply might just might be an extension cable. Is this true ? CPU power cable from that nice p/s not long enough ? Which extension did you get and where if I can ask

Edited: OK, yup, its an extension CPU power cable alright.

And how do you rate the modular power supply today ? Would you keep it or go with a fixed cable p/s

Back