Western Digital announces Green terabyte hard drives

beowulf7

[H]F Junkie
For those who want large storage but want to do your part to the environment and cut back on the power bill, this might be of interest.

Western Digital announces Green terabyte hard drives

By Wolfgang Gruener
Monday, July 23, 2007 14:55

Lake Forest (CA) – Hard drives are among the most power hungry components in your PC. We have see several new ideas to cut power consumption of the devices with new technologies such as hybrid hard drives, but Western Digital claims that it has found a way to make its upcoming 1 TB hard drive use 40% less power than competing products.

Reducing power consumption is one of the most significant trends to be hitting virtually every part of our lives, not just microprocessors for the sake of keeping the directly related heat dissipation within acceptable levels. For computers, hard drives are only the latest devices to be seeing some progress in making these products more power efficient than what we typically buy today.

According to Western Digital (WD), the power savings in fact can be quite impressive. Granted, the 3.5” "GreenPower" models are using the most power-demanding hard drive foundation that never had a focus on power efficiency. But a 40% reduction in power consumption is dramatic, no matter how you look at it.

WD claims that the 4-disk 1 TB Green drive shaves more than 5 watts off the consumption of other 1 TB drives, which, according to the company, typically consume about 13.5 watts. A quick look at competing devices reveals that WD uses the high-end for its comparison, as Hitachi GST’s 5-disk 1 TB drive is rated at an average power consumption (during read/write processes) of 13.6 watts, while Seagate’s upcoming 1 TB 4-disk drive is promised to consume only 12.0 watts in a comparable scenario. Samsung will soon release a 3-disk 1 TB drive, which is expected to run at less than 11.0 watts.

Still, WD says that its 1 TB drive will come in at a range of 8 - 8.5 watts, which translates into surprising economical and ecological savings. In terms of money, that improvement can save you $10 per hard drive in electricity per year – not much for a single desktop, but substantial for a server farm with 10,000 and more drives. According to WD, the power savings on these 10,000 drives (comparing 8.5 watt to 13.5 watt drives) reduce the involved CO2 emissions by about 600 metric tons per year - which translates into 400 less cars on the road per year.

On a single drive, WD estimates that the CO2 reduction adds up to about 60 kg per year, which compares to taking your car off the road for 14 days.

The Energy Star 4.0-compliant WD Caviar GP 1 TB hard drive will first ship in July in the My Book range of storage appliances, with 1 TB desktop channel shipments following in August. GreenPower versions of WD RE enterprise drives and WD AV consumer electronics drives will ship in volume within calendar Q3, the manufacturer said.

Pricing of the drives has not been announced.

This is really good news to hear.

Ninja edit: Ockie, I think we've found your 1 TB drives :p

Lake Forest (CA) – Hard drives are among the most power hungry components in your PC.
WD claims that the 4-disk 1 TB Green drive shaves more than 5 watts off the consumption of other 1 TB drives, which, according to the company, typically consume about 13.5 watts.

Sorry, my PC draws more than 27 watts. Therefore, they're just making stuff up again. For multi-disk machines, this will help things a bit (but I wonder what they do at spinup?), but if you've just got one or two disks, you could likely get a better power draw reduction by buying a different power supply.

Sorry, my PC draws more than 27 watts. Therefore, they're just making stuff up again. For multi-disk machines, this will help things a bit (but I wonder what they do at spinup?), but if you've just got one or two disks, you could likely get a better power draw reduction by buying a different power supply.

Everything adds up, one of these and an 80+ psu will save more than just an 80+ psu. I know that I'll be watching for these for my home server, since the computer is on 24/7 any bit of power savings will save me money.

Everything adds up, one of these and an 80+ psu will save more than just an 80+ psu. I know that I'll be watching for these for my home server, since the computer is on 24/7 any bit of power savings will save me money.

Exactly, it all adds up.

Now I wonder if WD will charge a premium on these efficient HDDs, and if so, if the premium will offset any power cost savings. Also, I'd be interested in their performance #s.

I don't dispute that every little bit helps. But keep things in perspective. Suppose that these drives cost $15 more than their Seagate or Hitachi or Samsung counterparts. I want 8 in my machine, so the total cost of getting those 8 drives would be $120. With that $120, I could go buy a 45W TDP chip which saves more power than those 8 drives would (5 watts each, times 8 = 40W versus 44 saved as compared to an 89W chip) and still have $40 left over.

Granted, I'd be all for doing both - my room heats up enough during the summer as it is - but if you're going to spend extra money to reduce your power draw, do it where it makes the most impact first.

I won't argue with spending the $ where it's most effective. But if your just looking to upgrade hard drive space in an older system such as a 939 and want to use as little power as possible this is the best way to do it. And it happens to be what I'm currently doing, I'd love to have the extra $ to do an AM2 setup with a 45w chip as well, but 1TB hard drives are expensive ;) Especially when you plan on getting 4+ and RAID-5ing them :D

If your going to make a new system or upgrade a newer system there are oftentimes better ways to do it, but there are many cases where more storage is needed and these are nice for even a minimal savings in power usage. Well granted they arn't too much more than standard drives. I'm hoping they give them the same price point, but I know that's being a bit optomistic.

I don't dispute that every little bit helps. But keep things in perspective. Suppose that these drives cost $15 more than their Seagate or Hitachi or Samsung counterparts. I want 8 in my machine, so the total cost of getting those 8 drives would be $120. With that $120, I could go buy a 45W TDP chip which saves more power than those 8 drives would (5 watts each, times 8 = 40W versus 44 saved as compared to an 89W chip) and still have $40 left over.

Granted, I'd be all for doing both - my room heats up enough during the summer as it is - but if you're going to spend extra money to reduce your power draw, do it where it makes the most impact first.

Yes, which is why I mentioned in my previous post that it needs to be cost effective before one can determine if it's still worth it to get the green 1 TB HDD (assuming it is more expensive than the traditional TB HDDs). Even if it's not cost effective, some may still want this power saving HDD just to have a better conscious about doing their part for their environment. (Kind of like some hybrid owners know that they may not drive enough to recoup the price premium of a hybrid, but they'll feel better they're using less oil.)

So when are these being released? I'm finding myself storing EVERY video I record direct too hard drive, sometimes entire series like Smallville in HDTV.

I could put three of these in the PC and use one for Raid backup of the most important stuff. If they are reliable. If not, I can use my soon too be purchased Blu-Ray drive to back the stuff up :).

This is really good news to hear.

Ninja edit: Ockie, I think we've found your 1 TB drives :p

Holy crap, yes... yes... yes you did find my 1TB drives. Lets hope these are the same or near the same costs.

I think if you used both it would be a great savings. Perhaps the savings might not be worth the power savings, but you could also manage to sneak past with a smaller PSU now and quieter running fans, which would be awesome.

This drive definitely has my eyebrows raised, lets just hope it's the same price as competitor drives. I like where this "green" paranoia is going... thats a lot of "green" in my pocket.

I wish video cards become more power efficient. Hard drives are nice to be power efficient, but 5 watts is not that much.
Thanks

That's the truth, 5w with a computer that never turns off can really add up over it's lifetime. And then if you use more than one drive, it's just that much more power saved.

I wasn't referring to just a computer running all the time, but for those of us who run more than 1 drive (or 10). :eek:

I wish video cards become more power efficient. Hard drives are nice to be power efficient, but 5 watts is not that much.
Thanks

Every watt counts. If watts can be saved for free or for a relatively low premium, non-recurring cost, without penalty in performance, count me in! :cool:

That's the truth, 5w with a computer that never turns off can really add up over it's lifetime. And then if you use more than one drive, it's just that much more power saved.

...like me who runs more than 30 drives 24/7

I wasn't referring to just a computer running all the time, but for those of us who run more than 1 drive (or 10). :eek:

I know, but even with one drive you'll save a bit over the lifetime. But the difference would be noticed more for those of us that run more than one drive.

In any event, at least someone finally decided to make a hard drive that used less power. Between these, 45w cpu's and 80+ psu's there is the potential to save a fair bit of cash, especially for those of us with a few 24/7 computers :D

Ockie, I have to ask... Are all those drives in your house? And if so, what do they all go to?

Ockie, I have to ask... Are all those drives in your house? And if so, what do they all go to?

Yep, most are in the one machine I use the most

I... Want... One... I don't know why as it would take forever to use all that space :D

This now begs the question of what the heck you store with that thing?

HAHA. I'm actually nearly out of space, got a little room left in there (logical space).

I... Want... One... I don't know why as it would take forever to use all that space :D

This now begs the question of what the heck you store with that thing?

It's all in the worklog ;)

You can see it in person if you want, but that would require you to go to a LAN. Ockie can give you more information on that as it doesn't really pertain to this thread.

Just letting you guys know that I just bought two of these drives (they are offcially out), the MSRP is in line with all the normal power consuming drives, so expect to pay no premuim over the higher consuming compeditor drives.

This is great news, I am now focusing on replacing my drives with these, the amount of power saved would really pay off big time for me.

I have yet to power this pair up, but I should be able to do so later this week, I can't wait. I have a dual core low power consuming cpu, 80+ certified psu, and these green drives... should make for one silent and efficient machine.

Just letting you guys know that I just bought two of these drives (they are offcially out), the MSRP is in line with all the normal power consuming drives, so expect to pay no premuim over the higher consuming compeditor drives.

This is great news, I am now focusing on replacing my drives with these, the amount of power saved would really pay off big time for me.

I have yet to power this pair up, but I should be able to do so later this week, I can't wait. I have a dual core low power consuming cpu, 80+ certified psu, and these green drives... should make for one silent and efficient machine.
Benches when you can, s'il vous plait. :)

I assume price is about $400?

I bought them for $259 a piece retail boxed. The MSRP on the box was $349

Yes, I saw that posted in the hot deals section. It will be interesting to see how these drivers perform. I looked at the stats of the drive on WD's site. It says the drive is both 5400 and 7200rpm and yet posts it as 7200. I wonder if this is how they are showing them as "green" drives or however they save on energy costs. I don't know all the ins-and-outs, I merely glanced at the stats.

Thanks for the update, Ockie. That's great that there's no price premium for the green HDDs over normal ones. How is the performance compared to other HDDs? Saving on electricity FTW! :cool:

Yes, I saw that posted in the hot deals section. It will be interesting to see how these drivers perform. I looked at the stats of the drive on WD's site. It says the drive is both 5400 and 7200rpm and yet posts it as 7200. I wonder if this is how they are showing them as "green" drives or however they save on energy costs. I don't know all the ins-and-outs, I merely glanced at the stats.

Yeah, I am sure they are using a similar concept that the auto industry calls DOD or "displacement on demand". They would have to to save this amount of power, either way, I can't wait to have these running :)

Thanks for the update, Ockie. That's great that there's no price premium for the green HDDs over normal ones. How is the performance compared to other HDDs? Saving on electricity FTW! :cool:

I will let you know of the performance stats on Wed :)

The biggest savings however could be reliability. Heat = Death. Just a fact of life for electronics.

videocards for example :rolleyes:

The biggest savings however could be reliability. Heat = Death. Just a fact of life for electronics.

Not just that, but your system has to work harder to move that air, resulting in a poorer overclock, stress on components, and a warmer room which has to be airconditioned. Evertime you pay to introduce heat, you have to pay to cool it.... so all around I think this direction of technology is a clear winner :)

Oh, good thing is that I can now slow down my cage fans even more, since they run cooler... resulting in less power consumed and a much less noisier machine.

I am all for cutting power on anything and everything as long as we arn't taking massive steps backwards. Let's say we have a 20 amp circuit @ 120v, thats about 2400w. Using the high end wattage (13.6w) for the drives listed, thats an optimal ~176 hard drives on that circuit. Now, using the high end use of the WD (8.5w), thats ~282 drives.

I know it's not actually exactly like that, since you have backplanes, the ever so wonderful redundant power supplies and whatnot, but hey, being able to put in that many more drives to a rack because it isn't drawing as much power is fine with me. Shame we have to wait till Q3 :(

I am all for cutting power on anything and everything as long as we arn't taking massive steps backwards. Let's say we have a 20 amp circuit @ 120v, thats about 2400w. Using the high end wattage (13.6w) for the drives listed, thats an optimal ~176 hard drives on that circuit. Now, using the high end use of the WD (8.5w), thats ~282 drives.

I know it's not actually exactly like that, since you have backplanes, the ever so wonderful redundant power supplies and whatnot, but hey, being able to put in that many more drives to a rack because it isn't drawing as much power is fine with me. Shame we have to wait till Q3 :(

BTW, a 20 amp circuit can't put out 20Amp cont. It can only do 80% of that continuously, and that is assuming that the breaker is @ 20deg C. Then you need to acount for PSU efficiency which is typically no higher than 80%. So now you are down to about 12.8 Amps in reality of 115VAC power. ;)

??? The drives are out already.....

saving a 5W of power on a harddrive ??? Sorry where is the big saving , because i dont quite get it .:confused: Saving a lousy 5W on machines that usually already need more than 500W or more . Thats 1% or less , wow real big saving , unless you run more than 50 or 100 drives in your rig :rolleyes:
And that posted by people who got real power hungry videocards in SLI or whatever setup and OC quadcores in their rigs .
Sorry no offense ,but i really dont get it .

saving a 5W of power on a harddrive ??? Sorry where is the big saving , because i dont quite get it .:confused: Saving a lousy 5W on machines that usually already need more than 500W or more . Thats 1% or less , wow real big saving , unless you run more than 50 or 100 drives in your rig :rolleyes:
And that posted by people who got real power hungry videocards in SLI or whatever setup and OC quadcores in their rigs .

However, the arrogance of your post implies that you don't care to get it either. When you stop trying to pigeon hole an item into a single predetermined environment, well the doors should open for you.

I think you are missing the entire picture :rolleyes: I think it has been discussed several times, take a read. It's not just a "few watts" on the hard drive savings, it's accross the entire machine.

Think cooling
Think airconditioning
Think heat
Think fans to move that heat
Think drive consumption
Think noise
Think PSU size to accomodate the hdd
Think PSU efficiency to accomodate the extra "Few watts"

Soon your few watts of power is transformed into a more dramatic end result that is way more. Open your mind and stop being so narrowminded and so shallow to think that this would not benifit you and your one drive. This is the hardforums, many of us has more than one drive, many has more than one computer... those numbers adds up quick. If there is no added cost with initial purchase, then what is your problem?

Back