Western Digital harddrives gone bad?

Sirje31337

Limp Gawd
I have 2 Western Digital hard drives 60Gig and 80Gig...PATA. The 60Gig died once already on me so I had it RMAed. Now the indexing is failing on it. Now the 80Gig started locking up(EX: While playing WoW The game will halt and the sound will loop for about 10 seconds then everything just freezes...HD light stays lite...not blinking). So I had that one RMAed about 4 days ago. And now the new 80Gig that I JUST GOT is doing the same thing about 2 days after I got it!!!

Does anyone know of any possible solutions/problems on my part? Or has WD just gone bad with their HDs?

I would check your power supply and cooling (monitor drive temperatures). Also, do your WD drives have silver or black tops?

How is your PSU behaving? I highly doubt that three new drives all happened to be defective (it's possible...but....I dunno). Are you doing any overclocking?

hmmm?, maybe it's a PATA thing. I have NEVER had any problems with my 10+ WD hds over the years.

Why did you go with PATA drives, instead of SATA?

There PATA because this system is about 4 years old, lol. I am overclocked by somewhere around 300MHz. The drives have black tops. My PSU is fine...I suppose. I haven't had any problems with it. I'll monitor the drive temps and report back.

I'm pretty confident it's the PSU. Before all that starts the drive will make a "click" sound. The same sound it makes when it turns off after shutting down. Then I guess it tries turning back on and crashes.

Back