Western Digital Raptor's very loud?

AMD_Gamer

Fully [H]
i have a Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive and its really loud, i can hear it almost rumbling when my machines loads up games or im just accsesing it,

is this normal for these drives to be VERY loud?

I had one of the original raptors for a long time. It was a higher seek time than today's raptors. Anyway it was pretty noisy at times, particularly when accessing large files IIRC. I don't know if they have improved upon the older generation though....

I have 4 hard drives in a Performance One Antec Case.
Two of them are Raptors in raid 0. One barricuda, one Maxtor.
I can't any of them over my 2 120mm (at 1400 rpm) case fans, and 19dba PSU. (aka, silent computer)
www.fotki.com/MeanieMan/

They aren't noisey at all, much less "loud".

I've had a 36Gig Raptor for about a month now and when in use, I can just barely hear it over my fans.

The main problem with the raptors stems not from the fact that they're loud, which they arent, but from the vibrations they make. My 2 raptors are relatively quiet but they vibrate my Rian-Ri to a level where i'm thinking about buying a stacker to shut it up heh. Best way to quiet them down would be to by a drive silencer from silenx or just cram bits of rubber into the mounting points in your case.

If the actual drive is loud, even out of the case, then thats rather odd. If its a clickiing sound, then send it back to WD. If its just motor 'whoosh' then buy some ear-plugs :p

i´ve got a 36GB Raptor in my system and i´m thinking about a exchange, because it is the loudest part of my PC, i only hear the raptor, nothing else of my PC...

when you want a silent system buy a samsung drive.

edit:
i have no vibration problem with the raptor, only sometime from my two exhausting 120mm Papst Fans above my radiator.

Back