Western Digital Ships 2TB Enterprise-Class HDD

HardOCP News

[H] News
From the front page:

Western Digital Corp. (NYSE: WDC) today expanded its enterprise family of hard drives to include the next-generation 2 TB capacity, the largest and only 2 TB enterprise-class hard drive shipping today. Combining industry-leading 64 MB cache, dual processors, and increased areal density, WD RE4-GP hard drives yield twice the processing power resulting in as much as 25 percent performance improvement over the previous generation.

has anyone else noticed that hdd's are becoming larger then we need? i have 2tb now on my server, and im having trouble finding stuff to fill it... 1.3tb and very slowly now adding more... its going to be 6 months before i even look for more space....

Fixed link: http://www.westerndigital.com/en/company/releases/PressRelease.asp?release={E481597C-045A-4864-8325-F96D2E809FC4}

I must be going blind, I don't see anywhere in their article that tells us what interface that HDD uses. If it's SATA, then meh, I wouldn't use it on my servers. Considering the low price of $329, I'm betting it's SATA.

SAS would likely cost two or three times more.

Their definition of "enterprise class" is much different than anyone elses in the storage industry.

has anyone else noticed that hdd's are becoming larger then we need?

Tell that to those who:

- record high definition television content and don't want to compress their shows to save space
- make multiple backups of one or more computers
- create raid arrays / storage matrices and want to save money on their electric bill in the long run by maximizing storage ability with the least amount of running physical hardware
- have that ever growing pr0n folder :p

Tell that to those who:

- record high definition television content and don't want to compress their shows to save space
- make multiple backups of one or more computers
- create raid arrays / storage matrices and want to save money on their electric bill in the long run by maximizing storage ability with the least amount of running physical hardware
- have that ever growing pr0n folder :p

QFT. There is so such thing as enough storage. the fact that there is a market for such high volume storage proves it.

has anyone else noticed that hdd's are becoming larger then we need? i have 2tb now on my server, and im having trouble finding stuff to fill it... 1.3tb and very slowly now adding more... its going to be 6 months before i even look for more space....

Speak for yourself.

24TB here and counting.

Over the years, I've told myself "I'll NEVER fill this hard drive up" waaaaaaay too many times.

I currently have 864GiB of 6.36TiB (8x1TB) free on my main array, then i have that all backed up on other machines... i'm waiting for 3-6TB drives for my next upgrade..

My current consumption is about 500GB per month, and I will need more space in July (12.2TB will be filled). :(

Speak for yourself.

I could fill up a 2TB drive in under a month easy if without trying. I find it far more harder to not dl that much stuff than to dl it. And thats without dl'ing HD quality stuff. If I were dl'ing HD/Blu-Ray quality versions of stuff, good game.

Back